fine. Fuse No. 57 in the boot fuse compartment that controls
the "Left-hand rear stop, tail and fog lights" also checks out
fine. Any other ideas that I can troubleshoot? Thanks for the
help.

Earnest

Old 12-27-2014, 03:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Earnest

The only thing I can suggest is checking the orientation of that bulb. It has offset bayonet pins and if inserted the wrong way round can cause issues. Also there is the obvious checking the contact blades are corrosion/dirt free in the lamp housing. Hope this helps.
Compliments of the season to all.
Baggienigel

Old 12-27-2014, 09:04 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Baggienigel,

I'll pull the bulb out again today and pay close attention to the orientation. The metal housing that holds all the bulbs is really clean, but I'll see if I can peek into the socket for that particular bulb for any dirt or corrosion.

I spent a lot of time in the forums last night and see where one Jag owner diagnose his brake light problems as being the Rear Electronic Control Module (RCEM), which i have located on the sidewall above the battery in the boot, behind the carpet. I don't know Jaguar needed a control module to control brake lights, but I'm no engineer. I wish i had a way to test it for faults rather than throw money at it for a replacement and hope that's it.

I recently replace the right brake light bulb and now the left bulb is acting up. The strange thing is that neither filament is blown for the tail and brake lights in the old bulb.

Earnest

Old 12-27-2014, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Be careful as much of it is LIVE.

The module switches things to ground.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:24 PM

I've been fiddling with the rear lights and I've determined that both tail/brake assemblies are wired differently. I have determined that the "Black/Orange wire coming into the main connector for all the lamps on the driver side (US) is without power whether the brake pedal is pressed or not. Therefore, no brake light, but the tail light works.

On the other side (passenger), the brake light works, but what's strange is that the Black/White wire loses power when the brake is applied, but is hot before the brake is pressed.

According to the wiring diagram, the wiring for the rear light assemblies all feed into the Rear Electronic Control Module on the sidewall in the boot behind the carpet. If it helps anyone, the part number is #4R83-2C496-BF for the RECM in my 2006 S-Type

So I'm wondering the RECM has a malfunction in sending power to the correct wire when the brake is applied. Does anyone know how the replacement cost for a RECM? Thanks for your help.

Earnest

Old 12-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

Probably not the RECM. Go for fuses, relays, connectors, wiring, everything else first.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:05 AM

Yes JagV8, I suspect there is a Relay somewhere in the circuit between the RECM and lamp. I just have to find it. According to the electrical diagram, the brake light switch sends a signal directly to the RECM, which send a signal to the lamps. But in a simplified diagram of a typical circuit, a Relay controls the lamp.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Can you check the ground on that side?

If the ground is good it does point to the RECM. Several people have had to replace that to fix the problem.

At this time I don't know anybody who can troubleshoot and repair the RECM.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:53 AM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

When the battery starts to fail it can effects the electrics.

I recently had this same message when the battery was going bad. I replaced the globe and still had the message. Eventually I replaced the battery with a new one and the brake lights now work with no recurring message.

I don't know if this is your problem, but if you check your battery first, it might save you some effort if it is faulty.

Many on the forum mention different electrical gremlins that occurs with a bad battery. Good luck.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:53 PM

Well, I finally got the "no brake light" resolved. I decided to test for voltage coming into the metal socket that hold the bulb and found that not only was the socket hot, but the just about the entire metal mechanism surrounding the bulb socket was giving out 12 volts. So I decided to pull the brake light bulb from the right light assembly that was working and put it in the troublesome light and it worked. Now really puzzled, I put the bulb i borrowed from the right light back in place and retrieved the new bulb i bought for the left nonworking light.
Put it in and gave a slight twist to the left to seat the prongs. Nothing. Decided to reverse the direction I was twisting it and tried a slight twist to right and voila - it worked. So my lesson is to pay close, close attention to the orientation of the bulbs in the socket and which way to twist when removing and inserting them. Also pay close attention to the orientation of the little short prongs on the base of the bulbs. I was glad to see that "Left Brake Lamp Failed" message and the annoying orange error light disappear.

The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (12-28-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 04:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all,

not sure if this is related or not but the other day i had a brake light fail and stop lamp fail on my 2006 s type, i replaced the bulbs but same issue, someone mentioned swapping out the recm so i got a second hand one from a breakers with the same model number and still the same problem, i also then swapped out the lamp bulb holder with a different one, no change, i checked the fuses in the boot and all seemed to be good, what have i missed? when lights are turned on and i press the brake pedal apart from the warning error on the dash the 2 passenger side lights mentioned dim when pedal is pressed as opposed to getting brighter??

Old 12-28-2021, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member

Usually the wrong (but similar-looking) bulb kind.

Old 12-28-2021, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,984 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Have you checked for water in the spare tire well? This is a known problem that can trouble with the electronic modules in the trunk.

Please see these threads with similar symptoms, finally determined to be a blown fuse for other lights. The rear lights can do some funky things when a seemingly unrelated fuse is bad. Also make sure the correct bulbs are fitted, as similar bulbs can be installed but they don't work properly:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ystery-219022/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...llights-53056/