S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The lurch...again

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default The lurch...again

My wife's 2005 S-Type is starting to produce something like a lurch ... again. The transmission has been re-flashed already.

We have a sense that it seems to be coming from something at the rear of the car.

Any ideas?

Eric

Old 04-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I've always maintained that the lurch is not completely curable on some cars, mine included. I simply drive around it.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

If it was OK for quite a while and now it isn't, then clearing the TCM & PCM should make it OK again. One way to clear them is to clear the "adaptions" and reflash. You'd need a dealer who could command a reflash even though the software version ("calibratiion") has not changed. I suspect some are clueless about that sort of trivial detail

If the lurch is due to drifting of the learned values (bad software to drift where it shouldn't!) then seems likely the above would:
(a) fix it
(b) not permanently
(c) for about as long as it took to go bad this time (if you drive the car similarly)

If the above does not fix it then it seems to me something has gone wrong with some part of the drivetrain (powertrain) and is seen via the trans. Finding what's wrong may be tough

(Not clear that the above applies to Mikey as I'm not clear his car has this specific issue & cause.)

Would be great to hear from some techs about their experiences of customers with this return-of-the-lurch issue. How many affected / how common is it? Does the above work? Is there anything better and if so what? Other comments & ideas?

Last edited by JagV8; 04-27-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

I'm also of the opinion that "the lurch" does not appear to be completely curable once your vehicle is struck by it. Various lurch sufferers here on the forum have had their transmissions reflashed, changed their ATF, tried additives, and probably cast a few magic spells, but nothing seems to provide a permanent fix in most cases....

We've been fortunate - no lurch in either our 2005 S-Type (70,300 miles) or 2006 XK8 (41,600 miles), both running the ZF six-speed transmission. Sure hope it stays that way....

Old 04-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here, 03 stype with the lurch -intermittingly - had it serviced reflashed and reprogrammed at the jag shop in portland, Oregon. It's weird; somedays it's perfect, like silk, then it's back,,,,,like a little kick in the rear just before a complete stop. Anoying as all get out, but I've just decided it's going to be that way cause I'm not putting in the money for a new tranny and no warning lights about the transmission have ever come on. That's about the only thing that anoys me about the kitty. Love driving it every time I get in it. I finally had to get a new battery, the original one finally gave up the ghost. Not bad for 9 years! Think the car runs a bit better with a new one. However, lost the global close on the key fob, but it still opens all windows and sun roof. Called the Jag shop at they say it's definely a dealer thing that has to be programmed by hooking up to the car's computer. Oh well, I can live without it. Inserting the key in the driver's door will do the same thing. Will be interested in hearing what others say about the lurch.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:44 PM

The "lurch" we are getting is when the car is moving. All of a sudden you get a gentle kick in the butt.

Eric

Old 04-27-2012, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Toller
The "lurch" we are getting is when the car is moving. All of a sudden you get a gentle kick in the butt.

Eric
That's called a 'Variant 2'

Jaguar S-Type ZF Gearbox Lurch fault

Old 04-28-2012, 09:47 AM
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Toller

Eric
Toller, can you be more specific with your symptons of lurch.

I am also getting a different variation of the lurch that was corrected a couple of years ago. Mickey says this is variation number two in his latest post, when I read that and checked his link it still describes the lurch under braking or stopping conditions

. My new lurch only happens under speeds between 50 and 75 MPH with the S engaged, when I hit the gas to speed up and then come off the throttle to coast or slow down I get a delayed kick in the rear that actually hits pretty hard sometimes. My dealer says this is normal and the trans and computers are hunting for data. When I disengage the S button the problem goes away.
Never had this in any other car.

Still have a few months left on EXT warranty and would like to hear if anyone has this also and what the fix was.

Sorry if this seems like a thread hijack but I think Toller is talking about the same problem.

Thanks.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

I don't recognise that one.

Toller, what sorts of speeds does it happen at? More data needed please.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
I don't recognise that one.

Toller, what sorts of speeds does it happen at? More data needed please.
JagV8, I agree, with viewing and reading most of the stuff on this forum for years I don't remember this sympton coming up until now.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by MyBlackCat
Toller, can you be more specific with your symptons of lurch.

I am also getting a different variation of the lurch that was corrected a couple of years ago. Mickey says this is variation number two in his latest post, when I read that and checked his link it still describes the lurch under braking or stopping conditions

. My new lurch only happens under speeds between 50 and 75 MPH with the S engaged, when I hit the gas to speed up and then come off the throttle to coast or slow down I get a delayed kick in the rear that actually hits pretty hard sometimes. My dealer says this is normal and the trans and computers are hunting for data. When I disengage the S button the problem goes away.
Never had this in any other car.

Still have a few months left on EXT warranty and would like to hear if anyone has this also and what the fix was.

Sorry if this seems like a thread hijack but I think Toller is talking about the same problem.

Thanks.
This is not what's commonly called 'the lurch' then, sounds like a different problem.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

I'm hoping for details - how often, when, how reproducible and if so then how do I try? LOL

Old 04-28-2012, 10:18 PM

I was meremly a passenger and since we'd not posted about this, didn't have the variables to watch.

We did try the car at about 45 mph in both S and not. I thought this was the key but right after switching it in, we got it again.

I shall endeavor to take the car out for a test in the next couple of days and report back.

Thanks for the cluse about where to look. One more thing, would this be a condition that would get captured by the computer?

Eric

Old 04-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

I doubt it.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:22 PM

Sorry to be so long in getting the details....and they're not much.

This AM we took the car out for about a hour. There was nothing like the problem I'd described before despite maybe 40 miles of driving. I used it both in and out of "S" mode. I went up and down hills with it in and out of "S" mode. Changed speeds both ways. After an hour, I put it down to a learning curve thing and headed home.

Then it hit again...and again....and again. No seeming link to the "S" mode or to the terraine. Basically it seems random and all I can think of is that the car needed to fully warm up, though an hour of driving at various speeds seems a long time.

Does the transmission latch a code that could be read? If so, about all I can think to do is to go to the dealer (100 miles) and hope that it does this once enroute. I'm coming up on a maint. interval anyway.

Thanks again.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't be too hopeful about codes as it doesn't sound that kind of fault. Maybe it's a bit short of fluid or there's a mechanical fault.