Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mina Hyper bulbs impression

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Mina Hyper bulbs impression

Hi,

For quite some time I have been looking for bulbs (High beam and fog) that come closest to matching the HID's on the str.., outside of an hid fog conversion. I had already installed led front markers which are awesome. I had gone through almost all supposed "white' 4300-5000k bulbs and was never pleased. I finally went with the Mina hyper bulbs, which initially i had avoided because of the price....well, I have to say these are the real deal.

As you can see in the pics..both the highs and the fogs are extremely close to the HID..in fact in person, almost imperceptable.

also if any one is interested.. I have a pair of the fogs..H1...these are 60 bucks plus shipping @ Mina...ill do 45 bucks including priority ship ..just pm me.

CIMG0048.jpg?t=1294238381
CIMG0046.jpg?t=1294238402

Old 01-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

I went with the HIR bulbs. A bit hard to find because the technology is not that well known. Really like them in the high beams on my 2005 STR!! Found one small mention on another Jaguar board and only Toshiba makes the real HIR bulbs. These are performance lights and are not for looks/style!!

Take a look;

http://www.finemotoring.com/index.htm

Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I want some fogs with a hint of blue to match the headlights

Old 01-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Riski
I want some fogs with a hint of blue to match the headlights
Riski, do an HID conversion. Exact match, and tons more useable light. It's about the same price as these overpriced halogen bulbs. Let me know if you need help / advice. You'll thank me later.

George

The following users liked this post:
Riski (01-05-2011)
Old 01-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

PM me a place that sells those bad boys if you could

Old 01-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
I went with the HIR bulbs. A bit hard to find because the technology is not that well known. Really like them in the high beams on my 2005 STR!! Found one small mention on another Jaguar board and only Toshiba makes the real HIR bulbs. These are performance lights and are not for looks/style!!

Take a look;

Do you have these installed?

Old 01-05-2011, 03:06 PM

Are these what you ordered? I don't see the S Type lights there.

http://www.minagallery.com/jagxp/Jag...s-upgrades.htm

Originally Posted by fergs03R
Hi,

For quite some time I have been looking for bulbs (High beam and fog) that come closest to matching the HID's on the str.., outside of an hid fog conversion. I had already installed led front markers which are awesome. I had gone through almost all supposed "white' 4300-5000k bulbs and was never pleased. I finally went with the Mina hyper bulbs, which initially i had avoided because of the price....well, I have to say these are the real deal.

As you can see in the pics..both the highs and the fogs are extremely close to the HID..in fact in person, almost imperceptable.

also if any one is interested.. I have a pair of the fogs..H1...these are 60 bucks plus shipping @ Mina...ill do 45 bucks including priority ship ..just pm me.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Try George (above)

Old 01-05-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
Are these what you ordered? I don't see the S Type lights there.

http://www.minagallery.com/jagxp/Jag...s-upgrades.htm

yes those are them..i dont know what s type uses, but str are 9005 high beam and H1 fog... email Chris @ mina for your application and if you need h1 I have a new set

Old 01-05-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
Riski, do an HID conversion. Exact match, and tons more useable light. It's about the same price as these overpriced halogen bulbs. Let me know if you need help / advice. You'll thank me later.

George

Hmm...about the same price??...if so i would do it but I cant see a quality hd conversion coming in for 50 bucks so please...inform me!!

Old 01-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I put in 3000k HID in my foglights. Got the set from DDM tuning for under $40

Old 01-05-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6

Take a look;

hmm. curious about these since they make this statement"

These bulbs produce white light, rated at 3600 Kelvin color temp, slightly whiter than the 3250K stock halogen bulbs.

3600 is far from white...these would look very yellow against HID..as hid is, in general 4350k stock from most manufacturers. The true white k sectrum is 4500-5000k..The hyper bulbs are 5000k @ 110w..not 55w which is why the throw the whiter light

just my observation

Old 01-05-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Star
I put in 3000k HID in my foglights. Got the set from DDM tuning for under $40

well...live and learn...might have to check these out then !!

Old 01-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fergs03R
hmm. curious about these since they make this statement"

These bulbs produce white light, rated at 3600 Kelvin color temp, slightly whiter than the 3250K stock halogen bulbs.

3600 is far from white...these would look very yellow against HID..as hid is, in general 4350k stock from most manufacturers. The true white k sectrum is 4500-5000k..The hyper bulbs are 5000k @ 110w..not 55w which is why the throw the whiter light

just my observation
Do NOT run 110w bulbs in your fogs. Too much heat in too confined a space. The wiring isn't adequate, and you may melt it. More likely is that you will be changing out bulbs every couple months if you use your fogs alot, because the bulbs will fail due to lack of heat dissipation. This whole idea of coating / doubling the power of halogen bulbs started when HIDs were $1000 a set, and only available in D2s / D2r bases and people wanted to fake it for less... The way they make these bulbs appear to be the "color" of hid, is to filter out some of their output, so they don't emit the more yellowish light, some just leave it at that, others double the power consumption to get brightness back up to par.

There's no point in using an inferior older technology that's trying to imitate modern technology while sacrificing light output, or putting an inordinate amount of draw on the electrical system when the cost of what you're trying to imitate is now the same. Go HID in your fogs, more light output AND only a 35w draw on your electrical system.

I second the recommendation for www.ddmtuning.com Jim Powell is a good guy, I know him personally, but check the shipping dates, sometimes they get swamped and you have to wait a bit.

For the fog application, I would go with their "slim" ballasts for 2 reasons. 1, they are physically smaller and therefore easier to mount, 2 they are sealed in epoxy (as opposed to a metal housing bolted shut on the fullsize), so they are much more resilient to water.

Anyone who needs help installing one of these kits, PM me.

George

Old 01-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member

And here's a pic of what headlight / fog hid looks like...

This was one of the first mods I did to my car, so the grill is still stock in these pics etc...

Take care,

George

Attached Thumbnails Mina Hyper bulbs impression-hid.jpg  
Old 01-05-2011, 07:39 PM

And here's a pic of what headlight / fog hid looks like...

This was one of the first mods I did to my car, so the grill is still stock in these pics etc...

Take care,

George
ooohhh ...awesome...guess i have a project.......curious now as to why mina would sell these bulbs if they are not safe, and now looking again, it states these are 130w bulbs!!

Old 01-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Another nice thing about DDM is the variety of temps you can get the bulbs in. The wiring can be a bit tricky, but if you wrench on your own car you should be able to figure it out.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:46 AM

For the fog application, I would go with their "slim" ballasts for 2 reasons. 1, they are physically smaller and therefore easier to mount, 2 they are sealed in epoxy (as opposed to a metal housing bolted shut on the fullsize), so they are much more resilient to water.

Anyone who needs help installing one of these kits, PM me.

George
How easy it this to do? How long does it take?

Old 01-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
How easy it this to do? How long does it take?
Are you comfortable taking the front of the belly pan off?
Replacing bulbs?
Drilling a hole with a hole saw?
Splicing a couple wires?
Mounting a box?

That's basically all that's involved...

How long an how easy all depends on how fast you work, and how comfortable you are doing these things.

It's not difficult, or particularly complicated and I can walk anyone through it.

George

Pushing_Tin (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Pushing_Tin;

Yes I have the HIR bulbs in the high beams. Very nice light output. Wavelength is different from light intensity. That's the improvement. They even tested the blue looking bulbs and they have a very reduced light output to produce the desired color when compared to the HIR technology. Compared to my factory HID lights the HIR bulbs look pretty similar but it will vary with the individual.

Another issue is the reflector design. Aftermarket HID's do not use the proper reflector so they fall short when compared to the factory HID's. The nice thing about the HIR bulbs is they have the filament in the stock location so the factory reflector is still geometrically correct for these bulbs.

Pushing_Tin (01-06-2011)

Quick Reply: Mina Hyper bulbs impression