Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My S-type stranded my wife!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:55 PM
VMV
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default My S-type stranded my wife!

My 2000 S-type after 10 years of faithful service wouldn't start when my wife drove it to pick up our daughter at school. When I got to it to check it out, I found it cranked over great but would not start. I checked for fuel pressure at the fuel rail schrader valve and found zero . I checked the fuel system fuses and found the fuel pump fuse in the trunk had failed . I replaced it and ... cranks great, no start. I checked the fuel pump relay- oK, thus indicating the fuel pump as the likely culprit. I tried to use my JTIS but it was corrupted and I couldn't access it.
I used the technical info download from the FAQ sticky to locate the fuel pump ( Right side of the tank, under the rear seat accessible through a large round access panel . Its fairly easy to remove: disconnect the battery, remove rear seat lower cushion, remove right side round cover over the access hole and there is the fuel pump. I removed the 2 fuel lines and the electrical connection, unscrewed the locking ring, and removed the fuel pump from the pump module ( Airtex #E2314 , $123 from Kragen's ). I installed the new pump, removed the fuel lines and electrical connections , reconnected the freshly charged battery and .... vroooom!!! success. I checked for leaks, test drove it and reinstalled the access cover and rear cushion. I went ahead and changed the fuel filter, a special thanks to Vance 850 for his great video. Its pretty easy , especially with the special fuel connector tool.
This has been the most involved wrenching I've done on my car since I replaced the sparkplugs a few years ago and I was impressed by how well this car is designed and built. Hopefully this pump is good for another 10 years.
best wishes, VMV

Old 01-09-2011, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Bad your wife got stranded but hands up for the fuel pump lasting that long. (remember it's an electric BRUSHED motor.) it was on borrowed time

I'll be changing mine out when get around to figuring out the lph on the pumps and if I need to go bigger or if there is enough head room with the stock pumps

Old 01-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Mafioso
Bad your wife got stranded but hands up for the fuel pump lasting that long. (remember it's an electric BRUSHED motor.) it was on borrowed time

I'll be changing mine out when get around to figuring out the lph on the pumps and if I need to go bigger or if there is enough head room with the stock pumps
How much boost are you going to be adding?? The stock pumps are pretty robust.

George

Old 01-09-2011, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

VMV, WTG!!!! I am sorry the wifey had gotten stranded, but kudos for resolving the problem!!

Old 01-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Great job with your own fix, and thanks for posting your saga. You've already helped others when they encounter the same problem....

Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

VMV - glad to hear it worked out in the end but how did you figure out the right fuel pump to buy?

Old 01-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

ditto here, I would be pretty pleased with 10 years of service from a fuel pump..that's what alot of the first (1997-2002) xk8/xkr owners are getting out of theirs. I bet it'll last longer than 10 this time.

I hope the wife hasn't lost confidence in the ol' girl!

Old 01-09-2011, 10:53 AM
VMV
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Smile

Hi guys, thanks for the props! I am pretty pleased with my efforts as a DIYer, but I must thank you as active, generous posters of valuable information for this positive result.

My wife wasn't stranded for long as one of our friends was also there picking her child and gave my girls a ride home. My Jag had to spend the night there outside the school until I could tow it home the next day.

I've never had a fuel injection pump fail before ( did several mechanical fuel pumps a long time ago ) and wondered if my running the tanks to near empty status may have contributed to the pump frying itself. Still 10 years and 90K miles is a reasonable service life.

Jag V8, I found the fuel pump by doing a search for it on the O'Reilly Auto Parts website and there it was listed. If I didn't find it I was prepared to look for a Lincoln LS part and check that it matched. I have received incorrect parts before and I always check to insure that it fits before trying to install it. The fuel pump must be removed from its containing plastic module and the replacement fuel pump ( Airtex E-2314 ) fitted to the inlet filter . It needs to be the right height and diameter for the module. I can see that it would be fairly simple to install a larger fuel as the top stick out of the module slightly. The Airtex pump is a near indentical except for the electrical connections but they supply a wiring adapter so that it is plug-and play. Another blessing of the Ford stewardship of Jaguar: cheaper parts prices.
Best wishes , VMV

Old 01-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Thanks!

It's all a bit different over here.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
How much boost are you going to be adding?? The stock pumps are pretty robust.

George
Not really sure yet. I haven't really dug into how much headroom we actually have.