S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help/Advice StR

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help/Advice StR

Just joined the site, thanks to all who supply the site with great information. Here I go with my question!

Just purchased my first Jag, its an 03 S type R. 84k miles and all original. Keeping it in Northern Indiana where there Mrs. and I spend our summers. I come from a background of Jap Exotics. Anything I need to know to prepare myself for this beast? Keep in mind that I like to do all the maintenance myself and will never send my autos to the garage unless it desperately needs to be done.

I've always run 91-93 octane and have enjoyed the performance of Shell Synthetic oils.

I'm opening it up for any feedback, whatever anyone has to say I look forward to reading! In the past I've created many write-ups and DIY posts for my Lexus and Infiniti, looking forward to doing the same with this Jag! Thanks again for the site!

Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Replace the following:

Coil Packs, coolant reservoir, battery, tires

Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

Also, these cars dont like to sit, especially with higher mileage. I have an 03 STR and I use it for a daily driver. I can say that when it sits for several days without being started it gets a little grouchy...

I would also recommend that if you have 80K+ miles you definitely want to service the gearbox. Pan and fluids are about $250-$300. You will want to change the sleeve out as well there are plenty of threads with pics on this so I would just say do some research on the fluid change.

Enjoy that 03, they have a lot going for them and you can really get some nice mods to ramp up the ponies and get that beast breathing. I would look into a stage 1 intake caldoofy has a real nice stage 1 thats pretty much plug and play for about $200 shipped to the US.

Cheers!

Old 01-14-2013, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I was reading up on the plug change. New upper and lower gaskets. Anything else I should replace while doing this? Is the t-stat in the same area? Seems like everyone suggests getting the trans fluid done by a professional due to the complexity. Previous owner dropped in a new battery about two hundred miles ago and the rubber has less than a 1k miles. I have made an appt tomorrow to get winter wheels/tires set as we're spending this winter in Indiana.

When we leave for a period of time I drop the fuel to 1/2 tank and treat with a can of Berrymans B12. Thankfully I'm blessed with great neighbors who start and run the cars for 30mins each month while we're gone.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 PM

Noticed a few different brands in coils. Which would you prefer?

Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Hi Chris, and congrats! Use the less expensive but superior Lincoln LS coils.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

i need to do the coils too. where do y'all recommend one purchase them?

Old 01-15-2013, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

Don't do any work till you've been here a bit longer and can download JTIS (and maybe JEPC too).

Trans work is DIY if you're good - see the stickies (How To).

JTIS includes the service schedule as well as far more.

Plugs are due at 100K. Coils if/when you like or are in there.

Worry about the "valley pipe" - hose under SC (supercharger).

Sadly you need to realise lots of plastic parts get brittle with age & heat so either plan to replace or be very very gentle.

But they're great cars - oh another worry: SPEEDING FINES.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Default Coil purchase

Originally Posted by McJaguar
i need to do the coils too. where do y'all recommend one purchase them?
Rockauto.com

Old 01-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisbooth08
Thanks for the help guys! I was reading up on the plug change. New upper and lower gaskets. Anything else I should replace while doing this? Is the t-stat in the same area? Seems like everyone suggests getting the trans fluid done by a professional due to the complexity. Previous owner dropped in a new battery about two hundred miles ago and the rubber has less than a 1k miles. I have made an appt tomorrow to get winter wheels/tires set as we're spending this winter in Indiana.

When we leave for a period of time I drop the fuel to 1/2 tank and treat with a can of Berrymans B12. Thankfully I'm blessed with great neighbors who start and run the cars for 30mins each month while we're gone.
Hi and welcome! Congrats on your new ride, I hope she treats you good.

Winter wheels and tires....you'll spend a mint on the right staggered setup for an STR. Might be more cost effective to buy a cheap Jeep. But if you find some kind of setup that isn't $$$$ I'm sure there would be plenty members who would be interested in this info if you'd be so kind as to share. I don't drive my STR in the winter, as I think it's a ditch magnet, so be careful. Having proper winter rubber would certainly go a long way. Best of luck!

I also keep my STR stored all winter with a full tank with the appropriate amount of Sta-bil added and nothing else. I can report that this works good as well. I don't start it unless I'm going to drive it somewhere a good bit. Usually that means it doesn't get started Dec to late March or thereabouts. Sits on a Battery Tender - again I can report good results. Although my STR has around 41k miles on it so it has a little less wear and tear perhaps.

Again welcome aboard and looking forward to reading about your experiences with your new STR!

Old 01-15-2013, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

Dang! Chris, your 03 STR has 1/4 of the mileage of mine? Go on a road trip or sumtin bro. Get out and live life...driving that STR.

Last edited by bfsgross; 01-18-2013 at 07:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
The Chris X (01-17-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Hey brother I wanna drive that thing for as long as I can! So if that means I burn the rubber off of it 8 months a year and park it for 4, so be it! It does get a healthy road trip or two every summer, and I have the speeding tickets to show for it. I've actually piled miles on it pretty well but it only had 17k on it when i got it, and my daily commute is 30 miles round trip....3 days a week.

Don't worry Seth, I've packed 100,000 mile car's worth of abuse into the 24,000 miles i've put on it. And I got 3 sets of bald rear tires to show for that!

I am kinda in the January funk now though. I try not to look at it sitting in the garage. Makes me feel guilty.

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (01-16-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Welcome! Be sure to post some pics of the car and the huge grin on your face right after a drive.

This is a seriously great information resource. Just do some recreational reading of the past posts and you will learn lots.