Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some floor mats

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Need some floor mats

My 2005 came with black mats that match the carpet but they're rather cheaply made. One of the eyelrts that loops over the retaining hooks built into the carpet has almost completely torn out and the foam backing has deteriorated.

I'd like something that covers the entire footwell area, is pretty rugged and stays put.

What have people been using?

Bob

Old 02-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,302 Likes on 2,824 Posts

I always cover the factory floor mats with a decent-but-not-top-quality set of rubber floor mats so I can protect the factory mats for the vehicle's eventual sale. Been doing this for more than 35 years and as long as you size the rubber mats properly, it works like a charm. Advance Auto Parts and Autozone sell decent-quality rubber mats that can be cut to fit, and that's what I do. That way, they stay in place and pick up 95% of the debris that gets tracked into the vehicle by folks who aren't as **** as me about kicking the crud off their shoes before getting in....

I've had the same set in my Ram for more than ten years. They stay down, do their job, and are easy to clean using a brush along with a little soap and water. I've never paid more than $25 for a set of these rubber mats. I buy them on sale or using the store coupons. The brand in my Ram is Rubbermaid. I think the brand in our S-Type is something else, but it's the same concept and design. Just get a cut-to-fit rubber set and you'll be good to go. If you want the best, look at WeatherTech. I'm just not willing to pay that kind of money for floor mats....

Works for me. Others will offer different ideas, I'm sure....

Last edited by Jon89; 02-09-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I bought a set from Nalley for only $70 or so shipped.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ebay has tons of selection and good prices.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
I bought a set from Nalley for only $70 or so shipped.
ARe those the OEM type from Nalley with the R logo on them?

Old 02-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Try these out, my friend who has an S type, got these for his, and I'm also considering getting them also. REally rugged and durable. Won't rip like the cheap crap that comes with our Jaguars which most of the times will rip after awhile.

This is made by the Firestone, same material they make their tires with.

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/brow...6&SC=WIF10001&

Old 02-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jag79
No, there's no logo just black, hemmed edge but a cheap foam backing and plastic grommets.

So maybe theses were some cheapo thin the PO bought?

Old 02-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Iluvmy05STR
Ebay has tons of selection and good prices.
I'm sure they do ... How about a reference on ones you bought?

Old 02-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Let me contrast what came with my STR to that which I bought for my 84 Maserati back in 1985. I still have those. They have a jute backing and though the driver's side is getting a bit long in the tooth they're still very good.

The ones in my Jag are crap but I don't know where they came from. They are form fitted and hook up perfectly. That makes me think they were a realer item. I think a full cover option is a better idea but I would still like them to hook on the factory spots and just wondered if someone had found something like I'm describing.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Bob S.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

If you're feeling wealthy Jag make two kinds, one being Premium quality. Various colors, too.
What you have sound to be some cheap aftermarket ones. (Me too.)

May be here http://accessories.jaguar.com/inter/...modelCode=X200

Last edited by JagV8; 02-09-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 216 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
If you're feeling wealthy Jag make two kinds, one being Premium quality. Various colors, too.
What you have sound to be some cheap aftermarket ones. (Me too.)

May be here http://accessories.jaguar.com/inter/...modelCode=X200

I love how it says "price excludes fitting". I would really like to meet someone that would pay a dealership to install the floor mats. I've have seen some lazy people in my life but that would take the cake. I wonder what the time to install is on that. I'm sure they would charge at least an hour.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by jag79
x2 on that question

George

Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I enjoy the factory carpet mats in the dry season.
But when things get wet and muddy, I switch them out for Lloyd RubberTite mats bought from autoanything.com. Decent price, matching colors, extremely precise custom fit including the holes for the hooks. A little stinky fresh out of the package (as many new rubber items seem to be) but that goes away quickly.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I'm sure they do ... How about a reference on ones you bought?
I wish I had a link to give you but I bought mine 2 years ago. They were the premium Jag floormats just like the dealership but only cost $80 for all four instead of something in the range of $300-$400 at the dealership.

I did a search on Ebay specifically for Jag STR floormats and they came up that way.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by androulakis
x2 on that question

George
Already answered, no.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not considering $400 floor mats. I can have something wonderful custom made for that amount.

After this last 2 months maybe some of those rubber drainage catch-all mats are in order? But I haven't been driving it during the snomageddon episodes.
It was 11 degrees F here this am. I'm going to the dealership Friday am so I'll have a look see to see what they offer.

Dark green to match the Jaguar Racing Green might be nice.

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by Iluvmy05STR
I wish I had a link to give you but I bought mine 2 years ago. They were the premium Jag floormats just like the dealership but only cost $80 for all four instead of something in the range of $300-$400 at the dealership.

I did a search on Ebay specifically for Jag STR floormats and they came up that way.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Not so fast on the "quality OEM Jag mats" guys. My lovely wife's bought two used S-types (an 03 in 08 and an 05 in 09) and both had mats exhibiting exactly what Bob describes....foam flaking off and making horrendous messes. Were they also el-cheapo aftermarket versions? Possibly. But fit and color match were awfully good for cheapo add-ons. My bet is both had OEM mats as delivered. I may well be wrong.

We replaced them with these:
http://www.autosportcatalog.com/inde...=5564&addcar=1
(the girls like their personalized stuff)

Very happy with the fit and quality of both sets. Think the oldest is just over a year, though. So far no issues. I like Jon's approach but in these two cases, and sounds like in Bob's as well.....not much left to protect of the original.....but I need to jump on that idea now while the sheepskin mats in my 95 VDP are still in good shape (No foam peeling on them)

My guess is an overzealous purchasing mgr squeezed a few pennies per car out cost by switching suppliers....declared a 6-figure cost-reduction, took bonus and promotion and was long gone by the time the foam backing started disintegrating en masse.....see it happen all the time....

Old 02-10-2011, 02:38 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

The set I got from Nalley were OEM and a set of four. They did not have the R logo on them, but neither did the ones I was replacing, although they did say Jaguar which I liked.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
The set I got from Nalley were OEM and a set of four. They did not have the R logo on them, but neither did the ones I was replacing, although they did say Jaguar which I liked.
Ding....Ding....The mats that are true OEM have a Jaguar logo on them. My set did, and trust me, they were the mats that came in the car...Wear and all.. Never changed mats. The ones being described are probably an aftermarket / dealer fit that the used car dept will throw in when the car goes on the lot. Looks factory but no better than the $9.99 set you can grab off of e-bay.

The true factory mats will have a Jaguar logo and brass ring that attaches to the carpet clips. Mine were worn, but not falling apart...And they took the salty / cruddy winters fine. BTW, that Nalley price is great!

Oh..little funny side note: The dealer I bought the 300 from had a different solution than cheap mats to make the interior fresh...Just throw out the drivers side mat..

Old 02-10-2011, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member

I hadn't realized this was such a controversial topic ..

I've had the custom fit mats on other cars but they were cut to fit inside of a portion of the floor because as we all know the days of flat floors in footwells is gone. So over time the part of the carpet not protected gets dirtier and more worn thus making the carpet look tired.

I'm hoping to find a near 100% coverage mat. Perhaps two styles.

1. Winter - Rubber to catch all the crap and water.

2. Summer - A carpet based more elegant solution.

Bob

Quick Reply: Need some floor mats