S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nine Years of S-Type Ownership....

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,301 Likes on 2,824 Posts
Default Nine Years of S-Type Ownership....

I stole our 2005 S-Type 3.0 nine years ago today during the depths of the terrible global financial depression at that time. It was originally a Florida car, just returned from a three-year corporate lease in Fort Lauderdale, and had 18,000 miles on the odometer with six months of remaining factory warranty. My wife and I were the only customers in the Jaguar dealership showroom the previous day for the entire three-plus hour period we were there. Around noontime when my wife announced that she wanted to leave and go grab lunch, the salespeople and managers fell into a panic and offered to cater lunch into the showroom for us. That is when I knew that my chances of being able to successfully low-ball this vehicle would be very strong. I went home that afternoon, stayed up all night doing my due diligence on the vehicle, then called the dealership the next morning with my low-ball offer. When they attempted to push back and negotiate with me, I politely told them that my all-cash offer was well-researched, valid, and not subject to negotiation, then hung up the phone. Ten minutes later, they called me back to accept my offer. The toughest sustained economic conditions I have ever witnessed certainly helped to place this particular car in our stable, and I have enjoyed it ever since. We originally acquired it to serve as a comfortable RWD highway cruiser sedan to safely transport my wife to and from Tampa on her solo trips to visit her elderly parents five or six times per year. I was astonished when the car proved that it was averaging 33 to 34 mpg on these solo long-distance jaunts even when loaded down with all of my wife's luggage and her running the HVAC system to keep the cabin at a comfortable-to-her 72 degrees regardless of the outside temperatures. Had the Jaguar salespeople tried to tell me the car would do that, I would have called them liars....

When we acquired my wife's 2006 XK8 Victory Edition convertible in February 2012, she lost all interest in the S-Type as well as her daily-driver-at-the-time 2004 Lexus RX330 SUV. So I took over the S-Type as my daily driver and sold her Lexus....

Now approaching 105,000 miles, 2017 has been a year of suspension overhaul for my S-Type. From February to November, Wayne (cjd777) and I have replaced both front upper control arms, both front tie-rod ends and anti-roll suspension links, both rear stabilizer links, and both rear upper control arms. All new suspension components were sourced from either SNG Barratt Group or Welsh Enterprises, and I spent a total of $712 on parts. The good news is that the car is once again silent as a tomb when I am rolling down the highway at 90 mph, so I consider the suspension refurbishment to be money and time well-spent. The car just passed its annual North Carolina Emissions & Safety Inspection last Friday with flying colors....

I continue to think about selling my S-Type. The next owner will be receiving a meticulously-cared-for Jaguar with all records and documentation of every penny I have spent to repair and maintain it. Our 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R which we acquired in November 2015 is also a great daily driver and can do so much more than my S-Type can. But my S-Type is such an efficient and comfortable highway cruiser, I still enjoy driving it, so thus far I have held onto it. Time will tell....

The following 7 users liked this post by Jon89:
aholbro1 (12-19-2017), cjd777 (12-28-2017), DougB (01-03-2018), GGG (12-19-2017), joycesjag (12-19-2017), VMV (01-08-2018), Wallace Westland (12-20-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-19-2017, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member

....And a sincere thanks to everyone here on the forum who has offered advice and assistance to me over the years in repairing and maintaining both of our Jaguars. Without your help there is no way that either one of these vehicles would still be in our stable. As I and others have often stated, this forum is by far the most valuable tool in our toolbox....

The following 6 users liked this post by Jon89:
aholbro1 (12-19-2017), joycesjag (12-19-2017), Klaatu (12-28-2017), NBCat (12-19-2017), Norri (12-19-2017), sklimii (12-19-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-19-2017, 09:01 AM
GGG
Received 16,826 Likes on 12,179 Posts

Jon,

It's always refreshing to read about reliable Jaguars. Newbies arriving on the forum and scanning through the threads must wonder often just what they've purchased when they see so many fault questions!

The secret to reliability, as your post content confirms, is regular use and attending to issues as they arise.

I only hope you don't meet such a savvy buyer as yourself if you do decide to sell.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Jon89 (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Jon,
Take it off the market and stay here with your friends and family!

Jon89 (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Not to steal Jons thunder. Joyce and I are coming up on our 9th year of ownership in February. Pretty much still financial depression.

Our S Type was offered from a Florida Dealer as well but on Ebay, where it had been listed for several months. I finally called them and we talked through the "walk around inspection". Needless to say, at the final seconds of the auction (zero bidders), Joyce sniped at won the 42,000 mile Florida vehicle for $12,500. Boom, BOOM, score of the year! Dealer was not to happy but we sure the hell were! I flew down and drove it like I stole it on the way home. Basically, Tampa to Charlotte in less than 7 1/2 hours. She ran beautifully. There were a couple early niggles that needed attention, after those had been resolved basic maintenance since.

I will say we love the vehicle and have no intention on selling as it will most likely be handed down to our daughters as their first car. The big problem, is when owners go to sell, there is not a market for these old girls, unfortunately. I think Tbird took the biggest hit on his gorgeous STR that was excellently maintained.

I can only second Jon as well as the forum members here. Starting with Jim, Norri, Graham, Don down to the fellow members. What a great group of guys! Really really makes this forum top notch!

The following 4 users liked this post by joycesjag:
aholbro1 (12-19-2017), cjd777 (12-28-2017), Jon89 (12-19-2017), Klaatu (12-28-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 10:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a great story and gives me a lot of heart. I've just bought my 2006 S Type 4.2 V8 with 67,000km (about 41,000miles). I got a good deal (for New Zealand) all cars are expensive here. Island at the bottom of the world with a small market.
I'm no car expert these days but I found this forum as I was doing some due diligence and some great feedback from owners slamming Edmund's review.
Your tale gives me heart as a couple of people have derided my new ride including the dealers auto sparky that replaced a faulty sensor under warranty (although I suspect he's a natural grinch).
I was hoping my car would give me a hassle free run for a few years and from what you say there's a good chance it will. Anyway I'm having a blast in a powerful car again
I thank you for your story.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

If you can DIY at least the basics you'll not only save money but know what has been done and why.

We're extremely fortunate to have the full workshop manual (and more, such as training courses & tech guides) plus lots of posts about what has gone wrong and how it was diagnosed & fixed.

Wallace Westland (02-19-2018)
Old 12-21-2017, 02:20 AM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Wallace Westland
That's a great story and gives me a lot of heart. I've just bought my 2006 S Type 4.2 V8 with 67,000km (about 41,000miles). I got a good deal (for New Zealand) all cars are expensive here. Island at the bottom of the world with a small market.
I'm no car expert these days but I found this forum as I was doing some due diligence and some great feedback from owners slamming Edmund's review.
Your tale gives me heart as a couple of people have derided my new ride including the dealers auto sparky that replaced a faulty sensor under warranty (although I suspect he's a natural grinch).
I was hoping my car would give me a hassle free run for a few years and from what you say there's a good chance it will. Anyway I'm having a blast in a powerful car again
I thank you for your story.
Wallace check out Jaguar drivers Club Auckland.

Wallace Westland (12-23-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We bought ours from a Florida used car lot off of craigslist. 2003 SType with 86,000. It was a New York repo and we got it for $3700. My wifes family is from Florida so we got the nephew to go test drive it for us. 15 minutes later I paid for it over the phone. Did the other paperwork by mail. Been owners now for 10 months. Looking forward to hitting the 10 year mark. I hope to make some good friends in here. I'e gotten some good advice and help so far. Thanks a lot guys.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I passed 9 yrs on the 03 back in October, don't remember, exactly, when the 05 was acquired but either side of a year after the 03, so it would be at or past 8 yrs ownership, now.

If you can DIY, and really, ANYONE CAN...particularly with the help available here on the forum, so I'll amend it to, If you WILL DIY, they are not to be feared. Yes, they have their niggles, but that can be said for any used auto. Also, as with any auto, there will come a point where, even with DIY, the Maint/repair costs more than the market value of the vehicle. That bothers some people. For me, I'm kind of in the sweet-spot when I double the vehicle's worth by fitting a new set of tires (tyres) or even topping up with petrol!

I get a kick out of piddling with my Jaguars out in the shop and also the envious stares and comments of the matchbox-drivers at the fueling station, or grocery, etc. While it doesn't always make financial sense to mend it....it doesn't necessarily all come down to finances. As Hal Mumme counseled his star quarterback at the University of Kentucky, Tim Couch, when he was considerng leaving Universtiy after his Jr. year for an NFL career: "Yeah, Cleveland can give you $50 million.....but you'll still be in Cleveland..."
Couch went anyway....didn't have that stellar of a career, and ended up back in a palatial estate in Hyden, KY, I believe. Does color commentation on some college games, now.

Jon89 (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,275 Likes on 1,792 Posts

Yes the S Type for me turned out to be a very good car. I was leery of and had never owned a Jaguar before.

But they are really just cars and the biggest down side is there are not that many around so finding experienced help outside the dealer is tough.

Lucky I could DIY my car (2005 STR). Sold it for pennies (I also posted as Tbird6) after 6+ years of ownership but the brutal fact is the S Type has no demand as it looks like an old mans car. The last time I drove it I still could not believe the condition of the paint and interior or how well it drove at about 130K miles!

Currently have a 2014 XJR and still learning about that.

Last edited by clubairth1; 12-22-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Jon89 (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

As others have said, the lack of demand for these S-Types forces many of us to choose between keeping them or letting them go for pennies on the dollar now. I do not believe that will ever change, including for the STR....

The original paint quality is indeed among the best I have ever owned in a vehicle. I just wish I could say the same for the quality of the plastics....

For now, I will keep my S-Type. If a serious buyer happens to materialize out of the fog, I will certainly entertain a reasonable offer for it....

Old 12-23-2017, 10:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Robman25
Wallace check out Jaguar drivers Club Auckland.
I have every intention of doing that in the New Year. I have them bookmarked in my Jag folder.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:47 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 241 Likes on 208 Posts

Ya but, I gotta decision to make. My dealer has a '15 X250 Portfolio 3.0 AWD with ~17K miles and a couple of years left on the factory warranty...

Ummmmm....

================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star -
He played a mean guitar -
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 12-26-2017, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
Ya but, I gotta decision to make. My dealer has a '15 X250 Portfolio 3.0 AWD with ~17K miles and a couple of years left on the factory warranty...

Ummmmm....
I am interested in what the dealer offers you for a trade in or if you sell it outright. Again, it's a damn shame that our beloved S Types are not worth much.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

I would never trade in my S-Type (or any other vehicle for that matter) to a dealership. Talk about getting nothing but pocket change for it....

I would prefer to sell it, but the best option before January 1st may be to donate it to a selected charity and deduct my own assigned value come 2017 income tax time. I have done exactly that with three previous vehicles (in 2000, 2002, and 2003) because it is lightning-quick, easy, and has always provided me with more than enough financial incentive to do so. But given the drastic (and in many cases very foolish) changes to the tax laws beginning in 2018, this option is likely to be far less financially advantageous to the typical donor come next Monday. If any of you U.S. citizens are considering any upcoming charitable donations, get yourself educated quickly and determine if now is indeed the time to make your move....

Old 12-26-2017, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

In case pab's "Boston" is the original one (i.e. in England) such tax things don't exist here.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:45 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 241 Likes on 208 Posts

>In case pab's "Boston" is the original one (i.e. in England) such tax things don't exist here.

Nope, my Boston is the NEW one... ;-)

=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)

Old 12-27-2017, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

Well I hope you hang onto it for the sake of the forum.
I have appreciated your help and no doubt so have many others.
Please excuse me for being selfish.

Jon89 (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

Nothing selfish about your feelings at all. We all benefit from each others' experience and advice here on the forum. Without it, I would have kicked both of our Jaguars out of our stable years ago....

Quick Reply: Nine Years of S-Type Ownership....