S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0327 after rain

Old 12-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0327 after rain

Hi,
I have recently signed up but have already done lots of research on this but without answers, hopefully someone can help?

I get restricted performance after heavy rain with error code P0327 knock sensor bank 1. The car is 2002 S type 4.2 V8.

If I run the car till hot then restart, I get check engine light but no more restricted parformance.

With the fault occurring after heavy rain then disappearing when the engine is warm I am sure I have water on the electrics somewhere.

I removed the plastic trim below the windshield, removed the pollen filter and inspected the ECU. All wiring was dry and connectors clean with no signs of trouble there. I cleaned out the drain channels (which were blocked up with leaves). All this seemed good but the fault persists.

I have located the knock sensor plugs and checked these, again no signs of water ingress.

What does raise my suspicions is the water that drips onto the engine from the bottom of the windscreen. The plastic trim does deflect most of the water away down the drainage channels but some water runs under this and drips onto the engine, the knock sensors are on top of the engine, is it possible there could be an issue there? I would rather not take off the manifold to look! is there a way to test the sensors?

Old 12-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

There is a post for taking off and replacing the knock sensors for the XJ AJ27 V8. I don't know if the S type AJ 33 V8 is similar enough with the knock sensors. But if it is, then it will give you a step buy step DIY which is worth a look (see link below).

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-1-2-a-76815/

Someone familiar with knowledge of both V8s should comment as to whether this may work for your S type.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

If it wasn't for your error P0327 I would have thought you have the same problem as I did.

Check this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...tr-rain-69885/

...and see post #10.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Grahams V8
I get restricted performance after heavy rain with error code P0327 knock sensor bank 1. The car is 2002 S type 4.2 V8.

If I run the car till hot then restart, I get check engine light but no more restricted parformance.

With the fault occurring after heavy rain then disappearing when the engine is warm I am sure I have water on the electrics somewhere.

I removed the plastic trim below the windshield, removed the pollen filter and inspected the ECU. All wiring was dry and connectors clean with no signs of trouble there. I cleaned out the drain channels (which were blocked up with leaves). All this seemed good but the fault persists.

I have located the knock sensor plugs and checked these, again no signs of water ingress.

What does raise my suspicions is the water that drips onto the engine from the bottom of the windscreen. The plastic trim does deflect most of the water away down the drainage channels but some water runs under this and drips onto the engine, the knock sensors are on top of the engine, is it possible there could be an issue there? I would rather not take off the manifold to look! is there a way to test the sensors?
I had same problem as you on my 2003 S-Type 3.0L - bank 1 knock sensor code only in the rain, often immediately after driving through a puddle. Replaced both knock sensors and the problem disappeared. They're inexpensive. My confidence driving in the rain has been restored.

I'm learning with this car that, when I am certain my battery is fully charged and it tells me a sensor is failing, believe it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jumpin' Jag Flash:
Lulu Blessing (12-30-2022), Robinb (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumpin' Jag Flash
...I'm learning with this car that, when I am certain my battery is fully charged and it tells me a sensor is failing, believe it.
Well worth remembering...

The following 2 users liked this post by Robinb:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (12-10-2014), Lulu Blessing (12-30-2022)
Old 12-11-2014, 06:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

thanks for the replies so far. I looked at the sensor changing instructions but see that the S type manifold is slightly different and is totally obscured so that you cannot even see the knock sensors. I also followed my way through similar posts and found advice to create a gutter under the windscreen cowl using gasket paste. This seems a good idea so will give it a try.
My main concern is that the error only happens in the rain so my thoughts are that something is getting wet. I want to find the wet connector or module before damage is irreversible. Having found the power control module to be clean and dry I must look elsewhere. I heard reports of wiring inside the wheel arch becoming damaged, can anyone direct me to this?

Old 12-11-2014, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

power -> powertrain

Remove arch liner to get at harness. It's mainly behind front bumper and that's more common failure position.

JTIS free download has info on where things are and disassembly etc