S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Park brake warning

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 07:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park brake warning

From time to time I get the yellow "park brake warning" light on the dash. This ususally comes up after around 20 minutes driving and it resets once the car has been switched off fo a hour or two.

The park brake works fine but there is sometimes a "hot" smell once the light has been on for a while. There isn't too much to replace, other than the switch and possible some wiring if it's a loom fault.

Has anyone else come across a similar fault?

Thanks

Old 01-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by veedon
The park brake works fine but there is sometimes a "hot" smell once the light has been on for a while.
This indicates that one or both of the calipers are not releasing properly. Best investigate underneath.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
This indicates that one or both of the calipers are not releasing properly. Best investigate underneath.
It was checked out at service but as it is an intermittent fault they could see the fault had occurred on the diagnostic but not the cause. The fault seems to occur at randon times i.e. not after a brake application or any other particular event.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mikey:
You seem to be the expert!

My E-Brake lite comes on intermittently as well, but will not go away until I go through the re-set process of the e-park brake. 2005 s-type 3.0 v6.

Live in western Canada. Bought car in May, no issues. This fall when it got colder, I had an issue. Had my favorite service shop check it out, found no issues so they re-set. Since then it has been re-set 5 times. There is a couple commonalities. Cooler out (-5 celcius) and was wet prior to getting cold. What part should I replace to start with ?

Thks.

Gil

Old 01-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

How old is the battery? It's what I'd start with, and please don't do an old-fashioned test on it!!

If you want to do something else, (re)greasing the brake cables etc wouldn't be a bad idea. And check the cable's not kinked or binding (especially high up or anywhere it's tough to get at).

Old 01-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I'm not an expert in any sense of the word, maybe a ex-spurt however.

My only experience is with sticking calipers as noted above. How does your dash brake light compare to this:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...jaguar-4-5-jpg

Old 01-04-2012, 05:05 AM

My problem seems to be an intermittent electrical fault. Car is going in for nw pads all round next week and my dealer assures me that they will trace the problem then.

We did a battery re=set while the car was in fault condition with no effect. Looks like a hard fault of some description, possible the switch.

Once rectified I will report back!

Old 01-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default e parking brake

Thanks all for the input.

The battery looks to be very new (Napa, 700 CCA).

As per your question Mike about the light. Yes identical to the Brake warning light in your link. I get both the warning light & the Brake symbol.

It seems to lose itself. after the problem occurs, if I pull up on the leaver, the Brake lite will go off. If I push down it come on. (The opposite of how it is supposed to work). The "park brake fault" remains in the display window and sometimes the brake is released and sometimes not.

Yesterday on the reset, I could hear the ebrake motor running to release and engage. I had no issues yesterday as the temperature was above freezing.

The battery sparks questions though. My mechanic asked if I had any battery issues, etc. I have not, but my remote key fob seems to not always unlock the car. I looked for a battery in the fob, and could not find one? Does the car use a sensor to monitor this fob? I took the posts off yesterday and cleaned everything off well, used a special electrolytic spray to conduct a better connection and pulled ground post off of frame, cleaned and sprayed as well. I had no isssues yesterday. Will monitor as it gets colder.

Gil

Old 01-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

Yes the car monitors the fob so the car battery needs to be good enough. The fob also has a battery as shown in the handbook.