S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Fluid Change Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid Change Advice.

Guys,

I have that common squeak in my steering wheel. I went through TSB about it and ordered the additive (the 50ml bottle) and it about to arrive.

As others pointed out, its a good idea to change the PS fluid to before adding the additive to it. So I went to Autozone and got ATF with Dexron 3 (as manual suggests). Opened the PS fluid reservoir and checked the existing fluid. The fluid I already have in the reservoir is Clear but Dexron 3 as most people say is "Pinkish Red".

So my question is, Is it OK to remove as much existing fluid from the reservoir and add new ATF with Dexron 3 to it? (In this case there is a chance that I'll still leave the existing fluid in it as sucking it out with the help of a turkey baster type thing might not be effective to remove all the oil from steering system).

Or it needs complete flush and how would I do that?

Or I don't bother to change the PS fluid just add the additive so that squeak might go away.

Thoughts?

PS: Car has around 46000 Miles (bought it used) and don't have service record.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Rizwan

Last edited by RizwanSharp; 02-20-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I've never heard of the need to change fluid prior to incorporating the additive. There's nothing in the service bulletin either.

Mine worked out fine by simply following the factory instructions.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

I just followed the instructions. No new ATF. Worked great.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the answers guys...

Yes I read the TSB and it doesn't say that we need to change PS Fluid but...

As I mentioned, I bought the car few months back and don't have service record. So I don't know if PS fluid was ever changed on a 7 years old vehicle... and that gave me thought to change it....

I'll do as you instructed but can anybody tell me if there is a Clear PS Fluid that any of you guys have in your car? Just Curious?

Thanks,
Rizwan

Old 02-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just gone through this myself.... on a 2005 VDP I just bought with no service records. I bought the Dextron 3 ATF, but "almost" bought regular power steering fluid. The guy at the shop (Lordco - Canada) told me they are NOT the same and shouldn't be mixed. If the manual says use Dextron 3 (as it does) then that is the ATF fluid - not the regular power steering fluid. Yes, the ATF is reddish-brown. If you have clear fluid..... sounds like you may have generic power steering fluid in there. Might be a good time to do a complete flush and replace it with Dextron 3 as recommended. Then add the Jaguar additive for the squeak. Using a turkey baster to replace the old fluid will still result in a mixed liquid - which would mean a different viscosity and density to factory standards. The Jaguar additive would have been formulated on the assumptios that Dextron 3 ATF is what it is being mixed with. Anyway, Good luck with whatever choice you make. After adding the additive - I still squeak after a long run..... its been a week now... so still holding out hope it will eventually lube.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:22 PM

Thanks dellery for your input... I was concerned about the same what you mentioned....

I'm not sure even if I have the right fluid in the steering system (Dexron 3 compliant ATF).

With that said, will it be OK to put the Additive in the system with the existing fluid?

Or I should have it replaced with Dexron 3 before adding the additive?

How much of the effort it is to replace the current fluid with Dexron 3?

I'm not mechanically knowledgeable but if their are clear instructions (with possibly pictures and locations of the parts I have to work with), I'm confident, I'll do it....

In worst case, I'll have to spend some more money and have it professionally done by my Jag mechanic.

Thoughts?

Thanks again everyone for helping me out.

Best Regards,
Rizwan