S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pre-2003 vs post-2003 S-type

Old 10-20-2015, 01:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pre-2003 vs post-2003 S-type

First of all, I'm sorry for making this thread. I'm sure I'll just get pointed to a relevant thread which I was unable to find... But I'll ask my question anyway.

So, I've seen a lot of posts about "if you can, get a post-2003 version instead. A lot of the early issues were fixed by then". And while I would definitely prefer the newer one (I like the interior more, in addition to not being a big fan of the extra issues older ones have), there just aren't any decent options here in Estonia. There are a few pre-2003 models though, that seem decent (on paper, so far 2 cars have caught my eye, but I am not 100% sure if I am allowed to link them here, so I won't unless someone wants to see the ads).

What are the issues solved in 2003? For some reason, I fear it's the old 5 speed automatic transmission that was replaced with a better one and could hurt a lot when it malfunctions.. What about the manual, is it the same (is it even solid)? Any other major issues that the newer model doesn't have? I guess the 4.2l V8 is new, too, I wonder if the old V8 was significantly worse or not (overall power is not the issue, I'd be fine with the performance of the 3 liter V6, I'm more worried about the reliability).

I did check some in other European countries, there are a few that look alright, but.. getting one abroad is scary. I fear I'd end up going to Germany for a few days and coming back empty handed, just taking a trip I don't really have the time for. Language could be an issue, too.

If anyone has any information about that (or could point me to a relevant thread I missed), I'd be really grateful. Thanks in advance.

Random bonus question: How is the S-type in winter? Cold starts, handling in the snow? We get like -25 to -30C for a couple weeks a year, -10 to -15 is pretty casual during winter.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

The older V8 was 4.0 with a few quirks but mainly it had plastic-bodied tensioners for the timing chain. They age, crack, give way and the engine tends to be wrecked. So you'd need to change them urgently so that can't happen.

In your area it may not be 2003 so much as up to or after (last 6 of) VIN M45254.

Yes, that's when the 4.2 came in and trans changed to ZF 6HP26 plus new interiors, revised suspension, etc. (And if sat nav, DVD rather than CD. The CD has not been updated.)

The manual has kindly been described as a heavy clutch.

There's not really anything wrong with the older Ford 5R55N auto trans. One fewer gear, a bit worse fuel usage, not quite as smooth but really it's OK. Cheaper parts & fluid.

The following users liked this post:
jagEST (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 03:36 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 238 Likes on 206 Posts

Are you looking at V8s or V6s? I, for one, would be satisfied with an older 3.0 model with the Ford 5-spd transmission.

The 3.0 is a solid engine, the transmission was fine, and the gas mileage will also probably be a bit better. Plus if you look hard enough you might actually find a 3.0 with a 5-spd manual.

Don't give up on first gen S-Types, the 3.0 V-6 would probably meet all your needs without having to worry about the engine problems of the 4.0
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
Current: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 hp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

jagEST (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 03:50 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Agree with all of the above. The 4.0 engine is just as reliable as the 4.2 if the tensioners are taken care of.

jagEST (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 04:08 PM

I would be perfectly happy with the V6, the V8 got into the equation mostly because I didn't have a perfect V6 to pick up. It's either a V6 with manual transmission and no cruise control, heated seats nor parking sensors, or a V8 with the automatic and the above gadgets, and a 1k euro extra. Mind you, I haven't driven either of them yet, they're not in my hometown, but I could go have a test drive in the weekend.

If the 4.0 is just a tensioner replacement away (is the replacement plastic as well or do they have something more durable for it), it sounds alright and looks like the better deal (because I'm gonna hate myself for not getting the heated seats when winter arrives). Otherwise, I'm gonna have to really consider the manual. Of course, if both of them turn out to be in really bad shape, I'll have to give up on the thought altogether until some extra options pop out (which could take a while, don't see many of them around here).

I appreciate all the answers. I'm gonna see if I can get to drive them in the weekend and then go from there.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:51 PM
Received 6,239 Likes on 5,441 Posts

The upgraded tensioners are metal bodied.

jagEST (10-20-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

The problem you have is did the guy with the V8 keep driving it?

The tensioners are a long term wear item and usually give some noise or other symptoms before they let go. We have had a number of people who think they can just keep driving. So ask about the tensioners and listen real close on cold start up. The tensioners will rattle a bit until the oil pressure comes up some if worn. The more wear the more noise. Be aware that this is not always true!

They can be changed and it's a very tough job but again we have several guys who have done it at home. Yes Jaguar is now on the 3rd design and it has solved the problem. They are metal body but still have the plastic slipper shoe to reduce noise.

jagEST (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 01:07 PM

I'm also in the market for an S-type, so I find this thread very interesting. I live in Switzerland, btw.

Something I discovered today, on a test-drive: my back started to hurt after just a few minutes of driving, although the ride was extremely comfortable. So I checked the owner's manual for better seat adjustment, and found out that this car had no (adjustable) lombard support, although some models do have it. I will have to find a model with lombard support, hopefully I won't have the same problem.

It's a pity that it doesn't come as standard, especially on a car loaded with luxury features. I mean, it was an electrically adjustable seat, and I think it had heated seats too...

Last edited by Sapporillo; 10-21-2015 at 01:14 PM.
jagEST (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 160 Likes on 132 Posts

I have a 2002 with the 4.0. This had a coolant recovery tank failure (cracked seam), common for first generation STypes. I had back surgery many years ago, and find the standard seats comfortable, even in Atlanta traffic.

Only gripe? Models with the Premium Sound option, even though a great sounding unit, is almost impossible to upgrade. 03 and up are easier to do.

Well maintained early models can be a bargain compared to an ignored newer one.

jagEST (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sapporillo
I'm also in the market for an S-type, so I find this thread very interesting. I live in Switzerland, btw.

Something I discovered today, on a test-drive: my back started to hurt after just a few minutes of driving, although the ride was extremely comfortable. So I checked the owner's manual for better seat adjustment, and found out that this car had no (adjustable) lombard support, although some models do have it. I will have to find a model with lombard support, hopefully I won't have the same problem.

It's a pity that it doesn't come as standard, especially on a car loaded with luxury features. I mean, it was an electrically adjustable seat, and I think it had heated seats too...
For the record, most seat bolsters (the sides that actually hold you centered in the seat) are usually quite worn, like in a 1999 XJ model I was looking at; but the SType one I have (in great condition at 97K miles) keeps you steady and secure, and in a "good" driver's position without the lumbar support.

I wound up going to a chiropractic supply store (carries other medical accessories) and got a seat cushion for my semi-bench seat in my older Ford F-150. If you like everything else about the Jag, a properly fitted cushion can make all the difference.

Last edited by Warspite; 10-22-2015 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Spell Check
Old 10-23-2015, 03:23 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My wife's 2001 S-type (6cyl) has power lumbar driver and passenger side. Just went through and tuned up everything on the car and only thing I wish it had was the newer dash so it'd be easier to install an aftermarket radio.

I'd like to upgrade her stereo to one with GPS/Nav. Here in Hawaii the law is written so that cops can write you a ticket for touching your GPS if you're anywhere on the road, even stopped at a light.

I'm going to upgrade her anyway, but will have to manually build a dash kit for the stereo.

Here's a parts list if you do get the early model

Adapter for from car wiring harness to line-in (standard Ford adapter)
FORD LINCOLN COPPER WIRE HARNESS STEREO + RADIO ADAPTER (70-1770)
Ford Lincoln Copper Wire Harness Stereo Radio Adapter 70 1770 Ships Today | eBay

Converter box that lets you program any of the steering wheel buttons to any command on stereo
Amazon.com : PAC SWI-PS Steering Wheel Control Interface for Dual/Jensen/Pioneer/Sony : Automotive Steering Wheel Accessories : Car Electronics Amazon.com : PAC SWI-PS Steering Wheel Control Interface for Dual/Jensen/Pioneer/Sony : Automotive Steering Wheel Accessories : Car Electronics

There is no s-type kit for 99-2001 cars. This Hyundai Kit is proven to work. Requires some modification though.
Amazon.com: Metra 95-7321 Double DIN Installation Dash Kit for Select 2005-2009 Kia and Hyundai Vehicles: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Metra 95-7321 Double DIN Installation Dash Kit for Select 2005-2009 Kia and Hyundai Vehicles: Car Electronics
$10 amazon prime.

The following 2 users liked this post by ssshield:
Christian Klaszky (05-31-2016), Warspite (10-23-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

There is someone on this forum that custom fabricated an adapter harness, using the pin assembly from a donor stock head unit. Do a search and save some research time. I had an idea of doing that myself, but it looks like someone beat me to the punch.

Really, that's the only glaring item missing from this generation of cars! A sat/nav head unit with rear view camera.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Warspite
For the record, most seat bolsters (the sides that actually hold you centered in the seat) are usually quite worn, like in a 1999 XJ model I was looking at; but the SType one I have (in great condition at 97K miles) keeps you steady and secure, and in a "good" driver's position without the lumbar support.

I wound up going to a chiropractic supply store (carries other medical accessories) and got a seat cushion for my semi-bench seat in my older Ford F-150. If you like everything else about the Jag, a properly fitted cushion can make all the difference.
Well, I've checked it out, lombard support or not, I'm not gonna be able to drive an S-Type, those seats aren't made for me. I've had to get rid of another car before, for that same reason, it's really just me.

On the other hand, that made me look at XJs again (I've had 2 XJs before), right now I've just come back from a test drive with a 1996 4.0L 6 cyl. Apart from the seats (no back problems here), it's probably a better choice for me anyway, I just like a huge car with a dashboard full of knobs instead of an LCD screen I will start looking for a nice XJ40 now, ideally 93/94.

I must say the S-Type is also a fine car. And sorry for hijacking the thread...