Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem reinstalling OEM AM/FM/CD unit on '03 Jaguar S Type

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 02:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Problem reinstalling OEM AM/FM/CD unit on '03 Jaguar S Type

Hello Everyone,

I recently disconnected and removed a junk after market stereo unit from my S Type.
After installing an OEM AM/FM/CD unit from the same make and year, I'm afraid it didn't just plug and play.
The Alpine speakers have been checked and are working fine.
The Alpine amp has been checked and is working fine as well.
The radio turns on and all of the menu functions "appear" to be working normally.
I've set the unit to the US mode, according to the factory manual in the glove box.
The factory wiring harness has been inspected and re-soldered where needed.
AM stations are visible when searching.
FM stations are visible when searching.
CDs will load and spin-up in the deck and rear alpine CD disk changer as well.
The radio never asks for a code, which I'm told from the dealer here in Minneapolis is 6552.
(previous searches on this topic have led me to the American radios were never coded, only the UK and Euro model radios were)

My first attempt at trying to solve this will be trying another OEM AM/FM/CD unit.
If this fails, I'm thinking I'll splice into a pair of speaker wires coming out of the amp., to see if this could be a possible work-around.

Any other thoughts or suggestions on how to solve this problem would be appreciated.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

Is it the satnav with a big screen? I have one laying around that for sure works- $10 and postage and its yours. (it has a faint scratch on the screen that annoyed me, so I bought another one)

The following users liked this post:
Bedo2002 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 05:14 PM
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Aware it’s fiber optic?

Hello!

I am not sure just how helpful I can be, but I had an epic install of an aftermarket Pioneer and I ran into the same symptom.

The issue that seems related was that the audio system uses a fiber optic system to relay info from the head to the amp, converting the analogue signal to a digital signal then sending it to the trunk where the amplifier converts it back to analogue before sending audio to the speakers. This included the cd changer info and the navigation (I think).

Ultimately I had to run an audio snake to the trunk, bypassing the fiber optic lines all together. I was going crazy trying to figure out why everything looked right but I had no audio to the lines in the trunk.

I don’t know if this is the case for you, with an OEM stereo. But perhaps the analogue-to-digital (and back again)conversion doesn’t match up with the new head?

Just a thought.

Here is a link to a post about my install.

I sincerely hope this helps

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ll-win-217664/

A google search for 2003 Jaguar s type r audio fiber optic may help you to find a resolution as well.

Last edited by Reklaw1973; 05-16-2019 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Can’t spell lol
The following users liked this post:
Bedo2002 (05-16-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 07:17 AM
Received 265 Likes on 203 Posts

You have to make sure the fibre cable is connected to the head unit, if not it will not see the amp or the cd changer that comunicated using the fiber cable.
make sure that the fibre cable make a complete loop and that the in and out cables are in the correct way. (There are arrows on the fibre plugs.)

The order is as follows: Head, amp, sat nav, voice control, phone, cd changer, head unit.

If you have a standard Jag sound system the head unit will power the speakers direct.
If you have the jaguar 'premium sound' system the head unit will not power the speakers at all the amp will power the speakers using diferent wires to the speakers.
The speakers use diferent wires if they are the standard system or the premium sound system.

So if you have the amp you need the 'premium sound' speakers conected to the wires that go to the amp not to the head unit.

My guess would be that the speaker wiring has been changed so they are wired to the head unit not the amp, or the fibre cables are not correct.

Mellow

The following 3 users liked this post by M-e-l-l-o-w:
Bedo2002 (05-17-2019), Reklaw1973 (05-17-2019), S-Type Owner (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 12:35 PM

Many thanks for the input Mellow.

The first question that immediately comes to mind is... how do I know if the head unit that I've purchased online is of the premium sound system type?
I've gone back and looked at the description of the head unit that I've purchased, and I see no mention of it being a premium or Alpine type unit.
In fact, when searching OEM head units online, I've never seen a description of the head unit being of the premium type– premium is only mentioned when it comes to speakers and amps.
I have a second unit which I plan to test this weekend.
If it turns out that I have two premium units I'll dump them both for a standard unit in order to run wires directly from the head to the speakers– as you've proposed.
I'm confident a stock head directly wired to the six alpine speakers will sound good enough for me.
My patience and interest in installing over-engineered amps and speakers passed long ago. :-)

Thanks again for your input.
You've provided an excellent work-around for the "fiber conundrum."
B.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the offer, but I'm only interested in restoring the radio and CD capabilities.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:55 AM
Received 265 Likes on 203 Posts

As far as I know the head units are the same for standard or premium sound.
What happens should be that the head units will see that the premium sound amp is connected and will switch to premium sound mode.

If you have an amp connected the speaker outputs from the head unit are deactivated and will not work.

The standard speakers are wired to the head unit.
The premium sound speakers are wired to the amp.
Both types of wires and conectors are fitted to all cars.

If you do not have an amp the speaker outputs from the head unit will power the standard speakers only. Not premium sound speakers and the extra base speakers will not work.

You can not have the amp and also have the head unit power the speakers. It is one or the other, not both.

The premium sound speakers will not work from the head unit. If you want to use the head unit to power the speakers then they will have to be the standard (Ford Mondeo) speakers.

Last edited by M-e-l-l-o-w; 05-21-2019 at 06:05 AM.