S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Security Code upon Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Radio Security Code upon Battery Replacement

My OE battery that originally came with the car must be a good bit beyond its 5th birthday, so I'm trying to anticipate what's involved with a new battery. In the Owner's Handbook (page 196), there is a list of 7 things to do after reconnecting the battery.

One of the to-do's called out is to re-enter the radio security code. I'm not sure that I have that code amongst my listing of a few mystery codes. Could anyone give me a clue as to the format of the radio security code (how many digits, any alphas, etc.)?

I did do a search of the Forum with not much success except for a couple of postings that said the radio security code was not needed after reconnecting the battery - so the Owner's Manual is wrong?

Also, any experience with the two type of battery technologies available? The AGM (absorbed glass mat) sound like they do not need to use the in-boot battery vent system, while the "conventional" wet batteries still do. The AGM type are a bit more expensive. Any feed back?

Thanks (especially for the format of that radio security code)!

Old 06-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Mike, you shouldn't require the code after a battery disconnect with a NA car.
However, I believe that you can alter the radio mode so it is always possible that you may need it. Chances are you won't if you do the dealer can provide it.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think pressing A.Mem + PTY + >>. At the same time

Works on my 2004 with sat nav to bypass the code.

Shhhhh it's a secret

Regards

Jeff

Old 06-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

My battery code was 4 digits long. I wasn't sure what it was so I called into 1800-4-Jaguar (Jaguar's 1800 number) and asked one of the customer service agents if they can provide me with the radio code. They did require proof that I was the owner (a copy of the current registration and a photo id) and it was very simple and quick process.

For the battery, I would just go to one of those local auto parts stores and get what they have available. I got mine from Advance Auto Parts. They installed it for free and the battery has a pretty good warranty (3 year replacement and up to 8 year pro-rated). I used one of their online coupons and it was like only $98 at the end.

By the way, after I got my battery replaced, the radio didn't ask for a code. I think there might be a certain "grace period" (if that would be the right term) the radio has before it requires the code to be unlocked. Wonder if anyone else was in my same boat.

The following users liked this post:
SCMike (06-24-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 09:19 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Save any of the messing around by connecting 12 volts to leads before disconnecting from the battery.

Park another car next to you, lug a battery, or make up a pair of long wires. Just speaker wire or similar is OK, as there is no current to speak of unless you try starting the vehicle! These can become a handy part of your tool kit.

Shops here use a small 12v motorcycle battery with crocodile clips.

If you're in Mississippi use alligator clips.

Cheers Jeff

George Smith (09-30-2022)
Old 06-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Mike, all of the above is awesome advice, but... you won't need the code if your changing the battery.

The following 2 users liked this post by bfsgross:
joycesjag (06-25-2012), SCMike (06-25-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

I remember wondering the same thing when I was first contemplating a battery change.

I've had to disconnect my battery so many times now I think I have second career as a battery jockey in waiting at Pep Boys. OH Joy!

You won't need a code.

You're ECU will be stupid & ignorant again. Enjoy that while it lasts.
The damn things are like parrots and pickup every bad driving tendency.

bfsgross (06-25-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

LOL, Bob you nut! LOL

Old 06-26-2012, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Only some world regions are set for a radio code (such as here).

Old 06-27-2012, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bfsgross
LOL, Bob you nut! LOL
Guilty as charged your honor.

Any chance of leniency?

Old 07-03-2012, 04:37 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

After disconnecting the battery, my radio displays says ENTER CODE. I can't tell from the posts here what the consensus is on how to fix this. Could someone please reply? Many thanks.

SirJag

Old 07-03-2012, 05:34 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

The message ENTER CODE shows you do have a code locked radio.

Try pressing [A.Mem + PTY + >>] at the same time as suggested by Jeff in #3 above to bypass this.

If this doesn't work, you will need the four digit code. In vehicles requiring a code this is originally on two (credit card sized) cards and looks like this:

Radio Security Code upon Battery Replacement-radio-security-code-card-.jpg

As you don't have the code cards, options are:

1. check for the number written on the radio unit itself
2. contact any Jaguar Dealer (with proof of ownership)
3. use one of the services listed on eBay that claims to be able to get the security code from the radio serial number

As there is no connection between the radio serial number of my radio and the security code, I do wonder just how the eBay listers claim to be able to do this.

Graham

edobernig (07-06-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

The ebay listers need the serial # of the radio I believe. Much easier to ask a Jag dealer, saves removing the radio! (But the bypass should work.)

Old 07-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Shouting expert

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I remember wondering the same thing when I was first contemplating a battery change.

I've had to disconnect my battery so many times now I think I have second career as a battery jockey in waiting at Pep Boys. OH Joy!

You won't need a code.

You're ECU will be stupid & ignorant again. Enjoy that while it lasts.
The damn things are like parrots and pickup every bad driving tendency.

Staatsof, I think you owe the OP and the other stupid ignorant people whose experience happens to be different to yours, an apology for shouting the "obvious" in agreement with bfsgross. (bfsgross, no offence to you, your comment was not presented offensively)

Old 07-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OverheadHat
Staatsof, I think you owe the OP and the other stupid ignorant people whose experience happens to be different to yours, an apology for shouting the "obvious" in agreement with bfsgross. (bfsgross, no offence to you, your comment was not presented offensively)
Really?
For what?
I stated what I experienced in my car.
So I should apologize?
Please explain.
I don't beleive I was offensive to anyone, well maybe the programming of the ECU.

Last edited by Staatsof; 07-04-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God Bless you.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:34 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by Luis Medina
God Bless you.
Welcome to the forum Luis,

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post an introduction about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see.

In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice on posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 04-16-2014, 04:50 AM

hello,
i have the same problem afhter replaced battery. If i press EJECT+PTY - as suggested on web) i see a code as: 000 xxxxx But this seems not to be the code ( also they are are 5 digits and not 4) Someone can help? I am from sicily.. Jaguar dealer is about 100km away from me and he ask €25 to get the code.

thanks

Old 04-16-2014, 05:37 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by freemenn
hello,
i have the same problem afhter replaced battery. If i press EJECT+PTY - as suggested on web) i see a code as: 000 xxxxx But this seems not to be the code ( also they are are 5 digits and not 4) Someone can help? I am from sicily.. Jaguar dealer is about 100km away from me and he ask €25 to get the code.

thanks
Welcome to the forum freemenn,

The radio security code on a European specification Jaguar is a four number sequence. I've read many suggestions over the years for combinations of buttons which are supposed to bypass the security code but have never found one that works.

There are varied reports about OnLine radio code providers. Some have worked but most have failed. They all charge so it's safer to pay the dealer for the right code.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 04-16-2014, 09:05 AM

Thank you Graham.

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum freemenn,

The radio security code on a European specification Jaguar is a four number sequence. I've read many suggestions over the years for combinations of buttons which are supposed to bypass the security code but have never found one that works.

There are varied reports about OnLine radio code providers. Some have worked but most have failed. They all charge so it's safer to pay the dealer for the right code.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Quick Reply: Radio Security Code upon Battery Replacement