S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reprogramming Self Leveling Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Reprogramming Self Leveling Headlights

I have a 2005 S-Type R..recently a deer ran into the front corner of my car and knocked the hood out of whack and the self leveling stopped working. Took it in for repairs and found the headlight assembly was cracked so I had it replaced ($869). According to what I've read, after the assembly was replaced, the lights would need to be reprogrammed in order to self level. The repair center didn't have the "software" so they could not reprogram the lights so the HID remain in the "down" position. Had some service done today at another shop and mentioned the lights to mechanic, he said he had the scanner necessary for that "fix" and would take care of it. The scanner did not detect the self leveling feature on my car??? Anyone have any thoughts? Could a fuse be out? He is as lost as I am....

Old 10-09-2012, 01:14 AM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Are both light down or just the replaced one. I found that fuse F16 in the passenger compartment controls the self leveling in my 03 S type. Don't know about programming but when I replaced this fuse my headlights started leveling again. This fuse also controls the auto dimming mirror and the rain sensing wipers if their not working either.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

He probably did not have the right "scanner".

The following users liked this post:
dlnga (10-09-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 03:59 AM

Both are down...all the other things you mentioned are still working fine...I'll check out the fuses...Thanks...

Old 11-10-2012, 05:56 PM

You need to do a search on this forum, member "Brutal" has a lot to say about the headlamps.
a known problem is the internal clips/brackets turn very brital and snap off and an impact could cause that, Brutal shows you how to do a simple check.
I can vouch for his screw fix, and by next week I will know if my car passes the MOT with the screw fix or if I have to replace the internal clips/brackets.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,762 Posts

No. You need the dealer to reprogram it.

I had an almost identical accident in my 2005 STR. Replace hood and drivers side HID and Halogen lights, Grille.

Brought it back to the body shop a week later because the headlights pointed down. They spent 3 days trying before finally giving up and paying the dealer. Expensive for them because I had a rental car and already paid the bill. So it was all on of their dime!

Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Hmm and i guess no ones ever sees my remanned hid unit or my new unit on ebay for sale

Old 11-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Brutal;
I got stuck because the body shop would not let me supply any parts. I wanted to get your HID but the only person I would be saving any money was the insurance company.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
brutal;
i got stuck because the body shop would not let me supply any parts. I wanted to get your hid but the only person i would be saving any money was the insurance company.
well thanks for the thought you could have told them and they would have made even more profit than used or new. Im under both

Old 11-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Default Your stuff on ebay

Originally Posted by Brutal
Hmm and i guess no ones ever sees my remanned hid unit or my new unit on ebay for sale
Hi Brutal
can you post your ebay name .
Also I am still having issues with my headlamps, I followed your screw fix and it worked ok. at first I had a problem with the self leveling, but that seemed to cure itself.

I carried out the screw fix, and that pinned the inner headlamp firm, but when I went for the MOT (state inspection) they told me the beam on the side I fixed was too high.
The beam height and alignment are critical in the UK
I whippedd out a screw driver and turned the screw out several times, the beam lowered and that pleased the examinerr and he passed the lights.

I have not driven the car in the dark since, but I am wondering if the screw is left as is will the beam jumparoundd.

I can think of two possible fixes, A) a second vertical screw to lock the lens.
Or doing the replacement bracket fix (I have very few facilitiess here).

Do you have any thoughts on this matter?

Stan

Old 11-12-2012, 04:23 PM

WHAT ELSE BUT BRUTAL87
I wouldnt mess with the light adding another screw. this IS youre height adjustment now and unless the side fixed posts break will work just fine. Yes the beams do jump around but ONLY when you drive off road, so stay out of fields and youll be fine

Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 AM
Default More on headlights.

Originally Posted by Brutal
WHAT ELSE BUT BRUTAL87
I wouldnt mess with the light adding another screw. this IS youre height adjustment now and unless the side fixed posts break will work just fine. Yes the beams do jump around but ONLY when you drive off road, so stay out of fields and youll be fine
Well at least it passed the MOT inspection, will drive it at night and see what happens, maybe I will psych myself up to do the brackets.
Whoever designed the headlamp fixing behind the bumper???,

stan

Old 08-15-2017, 05:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default F16 fuse

Originally Posted by sprdav33
Are both light down or just the replaced one. I found that fuse F16 in the passenger compartment controls the self leveling in my 03 S type. Don't know about programming but when I replaced this fuse my headlights started leveling again. This fuse also controls the auto dimming mirror and the rain sensing wipers if their not working either.
Can someone please tell me where I can buy the F16 fuse? Is it a Jaguar only component?

Old 08-15-2017, 01:45 PM
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

hi
If hid headlight is unplugged with the battery connected it throws up a ERROR and the self leveling stop working
you need someone with Jaguar IDS/SDD software just to clear the faults and they will start working again
it also stops working if one on the suspension level sensors is disconnected as well
cheers
Joe