S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restricted performance, auxiliary coolant pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Restricted performance, auxiliary coolant pump?

Would really appreciate any opinions on my current problem...

'05 STR was going beautifully, then a yellow light and "Restricted Performance" message appeared. The S/C was no longer active, but other than the reduced power the car drove OK. Error code indicated a problem with the auxiliary coolant pump. I just would not believe it, because I did not see how the S/C operation and a problem with the coolant pump could be related.

So, reset the codes, removed the quiketz intake elbow (just in case) and re-installed the OEM plastic intake pipe. 100 km later, exact same message, and I noticed the light come on just after I put my foot down and the revs began to build.

Another reset, another 100 km, another foot down on the pedal, exact same message, now 3 times in a row.

Can anyone explain why a faulty aux coolant pump would cause the S/C to quit working? I'm quite prepared to replace the pump, but just don't believe it's going to solve the problem.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I think in RP the car may disable the SC. What is the actual code? (There are other pumps, so figured the actual code would let me check which one.)

Old 09-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Please post your codes.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Check the fuse on the Intercooler aux. pump---not sure where it's located on the STR. You can also check the FAQ section under XK8-XKR section---- there's a write up on this under Restricted Performance.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the responses - the error code was P2601. JagV8's point makes a lot of sense, and I will check the fuse.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:41 PM

Just came across a post on this subject from forum member ooootis:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ned-way-74007/

These words got my attention:

"Somehow I got off on the wrong track with this code. P2601 is NOT the Aux Coolant pump. Its the S/C coolant pump. Big difference in function and price.

The S/C pump delievers coolant to the S/C intercooler, its intertwined with the rest of the cooling system and the pump is on 100% of the time when the key is in the II posistion.

The Aux Pump (which I did need because the connector had melted) provides hot water to the heater core when commanded".

Is that the case for the STR? Are there 2 electrical auxiliary coolant pumps in addition to the main water pump?

Old 09-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm not familiar enough with the STR's but I bet it's a very similar setup to all the Jaguar S/C V8's. I had a failed I/C aux. pump and got the RP code when ever I was climbing hills at freeway speeds---the supercharger was under additional load (more heat) at longer time intervals versus cruising around town. That's the only time I got RP without generating any OBD codes. You should hear the whine of the I/C pump running when the ignition is on but the engine not running. My I/C pump was located in the right (passenger side) front area of the engine. Another indication that the I/C coolant pump isn't working is when the top of your intercoolers are hot as a match head.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, there's a separate SC pump (detailed in JTIS and the Technical Guides). I think someone's changed it before on the STR so have a Search and hope to find it.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:35 PM

Yep, it's the auxiliary intercooler pump, not the auxiliary coolant pump, that is fried. Cost at Jag dealer in Canada around $600!

Eurotoys advertises a (slightly oversize) intercooler pump for the STR at $310, so I will go for that and see.

Much appreciate all the advice and info.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Check out the pump for the Ford Lightning.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:00 PM

The intercooler pumps on eBay for the Lightning vary in cost from $80 to $235. I found 14 items, and checked them against a 2005 STR. For 12 items, got the message:

"This part is not compatible with 2005 Jaguar S-Type".

The remaining 2 items were the least expensive, and the seller only specified "Fits Ford Lightning".

The pump was originally advertised for the XKR, XJR and S-type R, but Eurotoys could not remember fitting one to an S-type R. So I volunteered to be a guinea pig, got a 20% discount, price now down to $248, return if not OK. Here's what they had to say:

"The pump will flow 8 GPM with no restriction or 5-6 GPM with a normal intercooler system. Many pumps we tested flowed more at no restriction but dropped off quickly when used in testing. Our testing showed this was the highest flowing pump for use in an Supercharged Jaguar application. This pump is designed for continuous operation and is proven to be very durable & quiet. Having this High-Flow Intercooler Pump Kit and our Eurotoys Intercooler radiator will keep your Jag's power very consistant and smooth. We have seen as much as a 25-30 horsepower loss at the rear wheels in stock configurations from Heat-Soak. This Pump kit and our Intercooler radiator will lower that substantially".

Let's hope it fits!!

Old 09-26-2012, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member

Good luck! And please post back.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:51 AM
doc
Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts
Default re Intercooler pump

Although my car is a XJR6 S/C
I replaced the pump with a Johnson CM 30 Pump as the standard Bosch ones seemed to have a lot of problems
After some major research and checking the Benz forums you will see that the cm 30 pump is a better pump and the bonus is it lowers IAT temps which means better performance not to mention they last a hell of a lot longer than the Bosch pumps wasn't a hard thing to fit either
The Johnson is easier on the wiring doesn't draw as many amps to keep it running of course if you want to keep your car original best going with the genuine article but the Bosch pumps have a bad rep if you do some searching
I got mine from these guys took a week
Johnson CM30 Intercooler Pump my mechanic had it fitted in an hour

Last edited by doc; 09-26-2012 at 05:54 AM. Reason: double post
Old 09-26-2012, 05:52 AM
doc
Default re Intercooler pump

Don't know what happened it just posted twice
Although my car is a XJR6 S/C
I replaced my pump with a Johnson CM 30 Pump as the standard Bosch ones seemed to have a lot of problems
After some major research and checking the Benz forums you will see that the cm 30 pump is a better pump and the bonus is it lowers IAT temps which means better performance not to mention they last a hell of a lot longer than the Bosch pumps wasn't a hard thing to fit either
The Johnson is easier on the wiring doesn't draw as many amps to keep it running of course if you want to keep your car original best going with the genuine article but the Bosch pumps have a bad rep if you do some searching
I got mine from these guys took a week
Johnson CM30 Intercooler Pump my mechanic had it fitted in an hour

Last edited by doc; 09-26-2012 at 05:55 AM. Reason: dont know what happened it just posted twice
Old 09-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

I believe I would be that guy that changed his out that JagV8 remembers! It wasn't hard, pretty easy. I got a used one off ebay for I think around $100 CDN. Replaced it, only to find out the fuse was blown! However, to this day I don't know if a bad pump blew the fuse or the pump was fine and the fuse just went. Either way, been working fine ever since. I have also changed my aux coolant pump as well, not as easy, but it wouldn't throw a code as you are now aware. Just no heat!

Old 09-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Someone posted this link before Bosch Automotive 0392022002 - Bosch Intercooler Water Pumps - Overview - SummitRacing.com it's certainly cheaper and it apparently had a bit more flow than the stock one

Old 09-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Yes the SC intercooler pump is a rare item to fail on the STR. So we don't have much history with replacing it or any replacement pumps. The Eurotoys pump seems better but like all of our upgrade parts there are no measurements to see what if any improvement there is?? It's a plus that it's cheaper than the Jaguar pump.

It would be nice to find a aftermarket replacement so we could change them out for less money.

Just because the pump has a higher flow rate does not mean we will get improved IC performance. The coolant has to have time to pick up all the heat it can while it moves thru the IC's. If the flow rate is too fast we will cycle the coolant more but will not be removing more heat. Sometimes an improved pump needs a bigger IC to get all the benefits.

This happens with engine cooling too. Some cars run restrictors to slow down coolant flow which can improve engine cooling performance.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by tbird6:

Just because the pump has a higher flow rate does not mean we will get improved IC performance. The coolant has to have time to pick up all the heat it can while it moves thru the IC's. If the flow rate is too fast we will cycle the coolant more but will not be removing more heat.
I saw that comment somewhere before, and am puzzled...
If the coolant is at a lower temp than the I/C and is constantly circulating through the I/C, would it not remove more heat at a higher circulation rate? Or, to put it another way, if the coolant was barely trickling through the I/C, would it not be less efficient at removing heat?

Old 09-27-2012, 03:44 AM
doc

In my opinion if it wears out replace it with better
The pumps for our cars are ordered in bulk to a standard and price
I replaced the pump on my XJR6 because it is very small and 17 years old and I was chasing power have a look at this pump from Johnson its wat they use on the V8 S/C Benz cars SPX Johnson Pump for Boatbuilders, Pleasure, Commercial & Fishing boats it pumps a fair amount of water and they are very quiet
I can't hear my pump with the engine running
I did use rubber ISO mounts but they came of the old bracket not much fiddling around if you are handy and
Faster water means better cooling reason they put restrictors in engines is when they take out the thermostat because the mechnical water pump at high speed will pump to much water causing cavitation and not allowing the engine to come up to a constant tempteture
With an inter-cooler is about dissipating heat not controlling it the water to water inter-cooling systems on our cars are the most efficient way of controlling heat soak
and our cars produce more toque when the charge is cooler its all about cooling the intake charge

Old 10-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Default Success!!

The pump from Eurotoys finally arrived, complete with instruction sheet and mounting bracket. The pump was larger than the OEM pump, and is claimed to have a higher circulation rate of about 5 gallons per minute. The mounting bracket was useless for the STR, so a bracket had to be fabricated. No other problems, just over 2 hours of (indie) labor.

I'm hoping that this new high-capacity pump will be able to remove the extra heat generated by the S/C after the 1.5 lb Mina pulley is fitted.

Quick Reply: Restricted performance, auxiliary coolant pump?