Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Restricted Performance" message & check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Restricted Performance" message & check engine light

Hello,
I recently put in a fuel injector cleaner w/intake valve cleaner from Valvoline into the tank of my 2003 jaguar s type for the first time. Later that same day, I received a "restricted performance" light on my dash. This happened a week ago and it is still on today. I have only put in premium fuel and have filled up twice since last week. The check engine light has stayed on, but the "restricted performance" message display comes on and off at random times. I checked under the hood for any vacuum leaks, did hear any. And checked for any loose connectors, found none. I will get the trouble codes pulled this week, but any ideas? Is it possible that the fuel injector cleaner caused damages because it had an additive to clean the carbon off the valves?
Thanks

Old 03-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

good question, I am afraid I can not help you but I am sure someone will.....Since your check engine light is on.....maybe run it over to advance auto parts and have them give u the codes that are being thrown and post the codes to find out what the issue is.....that is what I would try...

Old 03-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Best to post the codes - and also the engine size

Old 03-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Default I have the DTC's

Okay, so I went to Advanced Auto and had them pull the codes. There were a lot of codes, so I had them clear the codes. The following code wouldn't clear out:

P1000

I then drove the car today until the check engine light went back on and had the codes pulled again. Here they are:

P0171
P1000

Can a Jaguar Guru please assist with where I go from here?

Oh, and it is a 2003 S-Type 4.2L (Not a supercharged or "R" model)

Thank you for your help and expertise.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

The P1000 just means that the car hasn't finished its system readiness checks. It can't be cleared. After a while it will change to P1111, which means that the system readiness checks have been completed and all is well. These codes are nothing to worry about and one or the other will always be there. Because you cleared all the codes, it would clear P1111 as well and have to start the checks over again giving you the P1000. The P0171 means Bank 1 is running lean. Can be caused by different things like fuel injectors problem, fuel filter problem, misfire, MAF sensor fault to name a few. Whether or not it is realted to the fuel cleaner I don't know. Could be that using that loosened up some stuff and plugged the filter, or it could be something else completely unrelated. I've used fuel injector cleaner on my STR and didn't have any touble.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member

What were the other codes?

Also, if you have some problems your car will never get as far as P1111 due to those faults. If you search here on P1000 and P1111 you'll see some info about them. And a search for P0171 will get you started with what's happened and been done before. But without the other codes you're very short of data so please post them.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Default Will pull codes again tomorrow

I have changed the fuel filter a few days after the check engine light came on, but no change. Yesterday, I check for vacuum leaks with spray carb cleaner and found none. Tomorrow I will go back to Advanced Auto and pull codes again to see if I have more info to post. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you ever changed plugs or plug coils or were you having problems before you added the cleaner. The high test gas should keep it running good because it has things added to clean valves etc. I bet it will clear on its own in time.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Default Didn't have this problem before adding the cleaner

I changed the plugs about 12,000 miles ago. I havent changed any of the plug coils. The fuel injector cleaner had an extra additive in it to clean intake valves. I put in the cleaner, filled up the tank and went on a long trip, driving for 2.5 hours. When i got to my destination all was okay. I parked the car and shut it off. About 45 minutes later i got in the car, started it up, and got a check engine light and "Restricted Performance" light. It has been on ever since. The weekend before I put a new K&N air filter in it.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:22 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Wink The damn lights again!

Well your running the best air filter -best gas- You may have to wait to see if a coil `is going or one of your plugs is not firing perfect because of the cleaner. If it is running good don't look at the light.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

The "best filter" may not have been the best choice....... I have had great experience with "oiled" filters in the past... Used them in two different Accords and two different Jeep Cherokees. The Accords had AEM filters and the the Jeeps used K&N. I will not put one of those in the Jag. I have been told by multiple, unrelated, sources to not put those kind of filters into the stock air box due to oil residue potentially hosing up the sensors. One was a Napa guy who wanted to order me a $7 filter vs. the $42 K&N. Another source was the dealer. That may be what is triggering your light. Be very careful if you attempt to clean anything.. Search here about cleaning the throttlebody....

Old 03-22-2010, 10:50 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jwalters2003
I changed the plugs about 12,000 miles ago. I havent changed any of the plug coils. The fuel injector cleaner had an extra additive in it to clean intake valves. I put in the cleaner, filled up the tank and went on a long trip, driving for 2.5 hours. When i got to my destination all was okay. I parked the car and shut it off. About 45 minutes later i got in the car, started it up, and got a check engine light and "Restricted Performance" light. It has been on ever since. The weekend before I put a new K&N air filter in it.
I would definitely dump the "oiled" air filter. These don't offer anything in the way of performance and likely will foul the MAFS if oiled incorrectly. The P0171 might be caused by a fouled MAFS. I'd look closely for a vacuum or air seepage in the intake too, downstream of the MAFS.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had a K&N air filter on my STR for over a yr with out any issues....now have the mina cold air kit with a cone "oiled" filter and have no issues

Old 03-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Riski
I have had a K&N air filter on my STR for over a yr with out any issues....now have the mina cold air kit with a cone "oiled" filter and have no issues
I knew that would happen... That's why I stated my previous good experience with those types of filters.... My point to bring it up is it would make a whole lot more sense than fuel injector cleaner doing something. I thought it was worth pointing out since the OP had installed the filter a week before and the error code came up after a highway trip. After a prolonged period of relatively high airflow across the new filter....

Old 03-22-2010, 09:43 PM

I wish i could ignore it. That "restricted performance" message comes on my display every day. And when it does, i have to be careful about accelerating, bacause there is no power when needed. I was too busy today to get the codes pulled, but will get it done tomorrow and also pick up MAF cleaner and see if this helps.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:56 PM

I pulled the codes today:
P0171 (lean Bank 1)
P0174 (lean Bank 2)
P1000

Advanced Auto was out of stock on the MAF sensor cleaner, but will have some tomorrow. Will buy it and try it tomorrow.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

You said you had a lot of codes the first time around.... what were the ones you didn't post? You really could do with all the data you can get, as swapping parts somewhat blind can get expensive.

The P1000 means you haven't done enough driving to set the monitors. Or, and worse, the car's detected enough things it doesn't like that they will not complete, thus masking further errors.

Based on the codes you have, you most likely have an air leak. Probably due to the K&N, but could be elsewhere. You could have misifiring as that reads as excess air to the O2 sensors. You could have a contaminated MAF. Sometimes they clean, sometimes you need to replace. Pray that your throttle body's interior is not contaminated. Avoid cleaning it if at all possible as jag issued TSB S303-27 specifically warning against doing so, giving reasons.

If you want to DIY, get an OBD reader such as an elm327 because you want to know which monitor(s) are not complete, what the fuel trims are, etc.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chucky60
Well your running the best air filter -best gas- You may have to wait to see if a coil `is going or one of your plugs is not firing perfect because of the cleaner. If it is running good don't look at the light.
It's NOT the best filter for this car. Very importantly, do NOT ignore the light. If it's on, the engine is NOT "running good"! You may not know what's wrong but something is and as BRUTAL has said procrastination is a mistake.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Default original codes

Since you asked, here they are:

P0171 - lean bank 1
P0174 - lean bank 2
P0191 - Fuel rail sensor
P0430
P1111

I would like to state that about a month ago, i was under the hood of the car and accidentally broke the vacuum fitting on the fuel pressure regulator. So i got a check engine light from it, which i believe was the P0191. I replaced it with a new one from Jaguar for a nice $160.00 for the part.

I appreciate all of the help with the diagnosis.

I did pick up the CRC MAF cleaner today and will see how it works tomorrow when i drive the car. When i was at Advanced Auto today, I was looking at the OBDII scanner that would allow me to monitor the sensors while the car is running/driving so that i can diagnose the problem more accurately opposed to blinding replacing parts.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, $190

P0430 is a code for the cat efficiency on bank 2, but the jag DTC info says to address other DTCs first. That'll be because this code could flag as a consequence of something faulty that's misleading the software as regards this code.

P1111 is good news: it means all your car's monitors had completed at the time. It's a status code, not a fault. In its absence you get P1000 which is also a status (the monitors have not completed) but is a sign of a fault if it doesn't clear (by changing to P1111) reasonably soon after varied driving.

The others can be caused by lots of different things. As you broke and fixed something, could you possibly have disturbed something or not put things back together correctly?

The usual cause of lean codes is an air leak. Sometimes you can hear a hissing.

A good way to check is using OBD. First check the car's going CL (closed loop), then look at the fuel trims at idle and again at fast idle (2500(or so)rpm). With a leak the trims will be + at idle and less at fast idle.

I wouldn't run a K&N but I'd try putting in a stock filter while hunting the codes. Be sure all the intake parts are fitting tightly and there are no cracks.

You can download the DTC info from jag's GTR or there are almost up-to-date versions in JTIS.

Quick Reply: "Restricted Performance" message & check engine light