S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

s type audio/bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is a question... what if under my center console I have a motorola piece that holds a phone however the phone is not present?

I went on jag's website and it says I should have it based on my vin however I cannot find the blue tooth when I look for it with my blackberry.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by superbowldogg
here is a question... what if under my center console I have a motorola piece that holds a phone however the phone is not present?

I went on jag's website and it says I should have it based on my vin however I cannot find the blue tooth when I look for it with my blackberry.
OK, what you have is the handsfree phone set up. That MAY be a money saver if you really want Bluetooth.. See, the handsfree phone was not bluetooth but used a phone module with a handset to give you an integrated phone. To upgrade to bluetooth you need to replace the handset with the bluetooth module. Now for the bad news. Depending on the year and model of the phone module installed it may or may not work with the bluetooth module. I would bring the car to the dealer and ask if they could check it for you. It should only take them a minute or so to do it. They could then tell you if you need to upgrade the phone module as well as purchasing a bluetooth module.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:46 PM

thanks for the insight!

I have an 03 stype with pretty much all the bells and whistles

Old 03-31-2010, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

A 2003 model will very likely NOT have Bluetooth....

Old 04-04-2010, 12:02 PM

I have been through this same rigamarole and finally bought a Garmin GPS unit with bluetooth for my 07 S Type. The useless console buttons notwithstanding, it works great and makes the thought of spending a fortune to install in-dash telephone seem ridiculous.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:33 AM

Same BT questions here; I'm considering buying a 2006 (MY2007) S-type which seems to have the Microphone installed as mentioned here before.

However, when I press the telephone button it says "NO PHONE".

So I guess this has some sort of prewiring (also the microphone), based on VIN it has "Telephone prep pack B".

The dealer is unfamiliar with the car and it is located quite far so I can not check physically this again.

But someone mentioned that if it has the Microphone then it will have the bluetooth as well...is this so and any easy way to test (if I ask the dealer)? Only thing I did was to note the Mic and that by pressing the button it said "NO PHONE"...

Thanks!

Old 08-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Erwin,
Microphone doesn't mean anything. All the cars were pre-wired, early ones had the microphone integrated into the center light cluster, but it didn't work well and didn't have enough volume. Later, Jaguar moved it external to the light cluster. Also possible that a previous owner took the PSE and BT module out of the car before selling it.

I admit to being on of those owners, as the buyer was just killing me on the price and didn't care about the BT capability, so I pulled the PSE and BT modules out and sold them separately.

The only way to determine for sure, in the absence of an IDS system at the dealer is to remove the cover on the LHS of the trunk and physically look for the PSE in the electronics stack. Also check for the BT module in the armrest. If both are present you should be in good shape. Finally, I had the old Motorola analog phone in my '04 XJ8. The PSE was an early revision (AA) that appeared to work fine when I upgraded to . Jagaur say AD or later for the BT module (IIRC, it was 3 years ago). Having an older phone in the car will also make the upgrade easy, i.e. no visit to the dealer to add the PSE to the fiber-optic loop.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:31 AM

Many thanks for the insight! So does the prewiring mean that it has the mic and the connections, and the kit required is then:

- PSE (what is this actually) in the trunk
- BT module in the armrest

Anything else?

if I can find these items then only thing left (provided I was able to install them successfully - should be if prewired?) is to program the car to "find" the BT attached to the fiber optic ring?

Originally Posted by timfountain
Erwin,
Microphone doesn't mean anything. All the cars were pre-wired, early ones had the microphone integrated into the center light cluster, but it didn't work well and didn't have enough volume. Later, Jaguar moved it external to the light cluster. Also possible that a previous owner took the PSE and BT module out of the car before selling it.

I admit to being on of those owners, as the buyer was just killing me on the price and didn't care about the BT capability, so I pulled the PSE and BT modules out and sold them separately.

The only way to determine for sure, in the absence of an IDS system at the dealer is to remove the cover on the LHS of the trunk and physically look for the PSE in the electronics stack. Also check for the BT module in the armrest. If both are present you should be in good shape. Finally, I had the old Motorola analog phone in my '04 XJ8. The PSE was an early revision (AA) that appeared to work fine when I upgraded to . Jagaur say AD or later for the BT module (IIRC, it was 3 years ago). Having an older phone in the car will also make the upgrade easy, i.e. no visit to the dealer to add the PSE to the fiber-optic loop.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:23 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

My experience with Jaguar telephone equipment has gone from having the first Motorola StarTAC in an X300, through later Motorola analogue in an early XJ8, dedicated handset Bluetooth in an XJ8L to factory fitted Bluetooth in my current XK8. By comparison, my last XK8 had no factory phone installation and I fitted aftermarket Parrot.

If my present Jaguar hadn't had Bluetooth fitted, there's no way I'd go to the major expense of retro fitting. Jaguar are always behind with telephone technology. The compatible phones are limited and the biggest drawback is you can only pair one phone at a time. Two drivers with different phones have to go through the pairing procedure each time.

Just my thoughts.

Graham

Old 08-14-2012, 04:58 AM

Sure thing, I agree...

I was only thinking if I could find somehow the kit in a cheap way over time and install it myself and only do the programming at the dealer.

So checking eBay in a regular fashion.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by erwin
Many thanks for the insight! So does the prewiring mean that it has the mic and the connections, and the kit required is then:

- PSE (what is this actually) in the trunk
- BT module in the armrest

Anything else?

if I can find these items then only thing left (provided I was able to install them successfully - should be if prewired?) is to program the car to "find" the BT attached to the fiber optic ring?
Yep, that's the idea. If you have the old phone holster under the armrest then you will most likely have the PSE in the trunk and only need the BT module (~$200). They are all prewired. PSE is Phone Support Equipment, basically a box that allows the phone audio and control to be put onto the fiber-optic ring. You might also need the microphone. It depends on the VIN of the car. Mine came with the Mic but it had the old analog phone, but it didn't work well with the new BT module.

BTW it is hard to find the PSE. Look at ebay in UK, there seem to be more there. Also go to the dealer for the BT module. They are very rare on the used market and it is easier to get that and the microphone from the dealer, IIRC it should be ~$250 for the pair. I got mine from George at Nalley but I don't think they are in business (as a Jaguar dealer) anymore.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Prewired for BT does NOT include the external microphone. If your car has that it should be BT. But as was posted above someone might have stripped the modules out when they sold the car.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well that was an interesting point about multiple blue tooth vehicles trying to pair to the same phone! I thought my unit had failed because it stopped linking to my phone and then I discovered that someone else had paired their phone to it! I guess you can't have multiple phones paired to it. But then only one should be linked to one time, therefore a pairing operation would have to be repeated.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jaguar 2004 S type

Hi all
I just bought a 2004 x type. there is a telehone panel with all the numbers etc... When I press the phone on the dash it states "no phone", when I press it on my steering wheel it mutes the radio. Do I have a bluetooth capability so that I can use my cell phone or not? how can I know that
Thanks you for this genius forum and your help

Marc

Old 11-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also what is the "PM" translation for. I have read this many times in the posts

Old 11-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

If you mean X then wrong forum!

Chances are you have no phone and no BT, either car.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomdevdt
I have been through this same rigamarole and finally bought a Garmin GPS unit with bluetooth for my 07 S Type. The useless console buttons notwithstanding, it works great and makes the thought of spending a fortune to install in-dash telephone seem ridiculous.
I did exactly the same. Got a Garmin 1390LMT for $98, including lifetime maps at no extra cost and Bluetooth pairing to my old Nokia cell-phone for hands-free calls with voice command. Couldn't be easier, couldn't be cheaper, sits almost out of sight over the ashtray and powered by a USB cable from the cigarette lighter. The Jag Nav/BT/phone setup seems medieval by comparison, and the COST!!!

Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gentlemen,

I'm a lucky - I've got a Jag with fully functional bluetooth phone.
But that is not enough for me - I want an AUX input.
I know everything about ACM, and its price.

My question is - if I replace stock stereo with some aftermarket one that fits and looks good (are there any at all???) is there a chance that it will work with the stock bluetooth system, and I will be able to control it from the wheel?

Old 12-01-2012, 05:50 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by catstyle
My question is - if I replace stock stereo with some aftermarket one that fits and looks good (are there any at all???) is there a chance that it will work with the stock bluetooth system, and I will be able to control it from the wheel?
The short answer... No, the phone module will not work with an aftermarket head unit. Now, you could search around for an adapter that will let the steering wheel controls work an aftermarket head unit. May be worth while to check into UK based stereo shops since support and stuff for Jaguars in the US has always been weak. Honestly, if you want modern features including bluetooth, it is probably best to go with an aftermarket unit.

Originally Posted by MarcN
Also what is the "PM" translation for. I have read this many times in the posts
PM in the context of this thread means "Phone Module"

Originally Posted by MarcN
Hi all
I just bought a 2004 x type. there is a telehone panel with all the numbers etc... When I press the phone on the dash it states "no phone", when I press it on my steering wheel it mutes the radio. Do I have a bluetooth capability so that I can use my cell phone or not? how can I know that
Thanks you for this genius forum and your help

Marc
Sorry but you are one of many new people to Jaguar that think that just because the buttons are there that you have the phone. The short and sweet is that Jaguar put the same head unit in all cars, with all the buttons. The fact that you get a message that says "no phone" means just that. You don't have the phone installed. Before you get mad at Jaguar, know this, it isn't just Jaguar. Our Mercedes is the same way. All the phone buttons are there but no module. Same with Land Rover as well.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Just a small correction. PSE = Portable Support Electronics.
This is from Jaguar.