S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Type R Rear Brake Job: Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I found pads and discs everywhere for my STR, even when Brembo. I used autopartswarehouse.com and though they don't have a perfectly accurate website I called them gave them my VIN after I researched the parts and picked the right parts with free shipping. I purchased 4 discs and front and rear pad sets (maybe $550 total, OEM replacement quality). I couldn't find the OEM quality parking brake pads anywhere but the dealer. Why would anyone carry them, the separate parking brake caliper is over engineered and difficult, hence no longer used. And I dont know what other vehicle uses them.

But go with Ceramic. Semi, metalic, etc I've found are noisey and the dust is problematic.

I don't know what the previous owner on my STR 2005 was doing to waste the parking brake pads! But my other stype 3.0 I never had to worry about that.

Last edited by chrislynn5; 10-26-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by chrislynn5
I found pads and discs everywhere for my STR, even when Brembo. I used autopartswarehouse.com and though they don't have a perfectly accurate website I called them gave them my VIN after I researched the parts and picked the right parts with free shipping. I purchased 4 discs and front and rear pad sets (maybe $550 total, OEM replacement quality). I couldn't find the OEM quality parking brake pads anywhere but the dealer. Why would anyone carry them, the separate parking brake caliper is over engineered and difficult, hence no longer used. And I dont know what other vehicle uses them.

But go with Ceramic. Semi, metalic, etc I've found are noisey and the dust is problematic.

I don't know what the previous owner on my STR 2005 was doing to waste the parking brake pads! But my other stype 3.0 I never had to worry about that.
He was DRIFTING.........................

Old 08-31-2011, 08:05 AM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteSTR
For a rear jack point the center chunk of the rear axle is probably the best spot.. I was about to do the backs on my car, but I haven't been able to find the parking brake pads on the internet..were you able to find them? or are you leaving them alone? Eric
Mine Need changing. Here's a company that has them

More Information for BECK/ARNLEY 0899001

Don't know if the 2nd link below will show up for you but it's what I've paid for them with two day shipping.

Part NumberPart TypePrice EACore EAQuantityTotal2005 JAGUAR S-TYPE R 4.2L 4196cc V8 FI Supercharged DOHCBECK/ARNLEY0899001 (089-9001)Parking Brake Pad$ 76.79$ 0.001$ 76.79Shipping2 Business Day Express$ 8.50Order Total$ 85.29

Here's the part number just in case.
BECK/ARNLEY Part #0899001

Last edited by Norri; 08-31-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:08 AM

Exactly, how in the He double hockey Sticks do you burn out the parking brake(s)? When you engage the car in drive, the parking brake disengages. When you stop and put the car in park, it engages.... Beats me what whatever.....

Old 08-31-2011, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

Originally Posted by Docuzzie
Exactly, how in the He double hockey Sticks do you burn out the parking brake(s)? When you engage the car in drive, the parking brake disengages. When you stop and put the car in park, it engages.... Beats me what whatever.....
At least 3 ways:

Engage it (often?) while moving (it's an emergency brake as well as P brake)

Have the ****ing thing in a confused state. It'll leave it dragging even though it's "not applied"

Allow the Bowden cable(s) to stick - same result.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:48 AM
Received 6,260 Likes on 5,460 Posts

Don't know if the 2nd link below will show up for you but it's what I've paid for them with two day shipping.

Here's the part number just in case.
BECK/ARNLEY Part #0899001
David,

I don't know if you meant to include your address with the link, I've deleted it just in case but pasted in the relevant price info.

Norri

Old 08-31-2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by norri
David,

I don't know if you meant to include your address with the link, I've deleted it just in case but pasted in the relevant price info.

Norri
I didn't really mean to Norri. Thanks for pulling the excessive information out. I was more interested in people just knowing where to get those pads than the overkill of information I posted. You (as usual) did a stellar job of removing my other data, irrelevant to the parking brake pads themselves.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:34 PM

Parking Brake Pad
Related Parts
2005 JAGUAR S-TYPE R 4.2L 4196cc V8 FI Supercharged DOHC : Brake/Wheel Hub : Parking Brake Pad Wiki Price
BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0899001
OE TYPE; Thru VIN N52047; Pad Mfg. TRW; Rear

$76.79
Add to Cart
Power Brake Booster

Old 09-01-2011, 06:54 AM

I'm late on this, so it might already have been said. In an earlier post I stated that my parking brake pads were gone in only 38k. They must drag becuase I get a lot more black coating my rear rims. I also have a 2005 STR, sliver, and got the parking pads at the dealer for I think $124 a set. They are a bitch to change! It's a mechanical caliper. There is a special tool but I got by by rigging a set of needle nose pilers. But beware, it sucks! Eseically when these things get stuck on and do not want to come off. I ruined a set of rotors by not changing the parkings pads.
I changed all four rotors and pads for something around (sorry I lied before and am now editing) $700. The dealer wanted $900 for only front with only turning rotors! Makre sure they are Brembo pads.

Last edited by chrislynn5; 09-01-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:14 PM

I'm late on this, so it might already have been said. In an earlier post I stated that my parking brake pads were gone in only 38k. They must drag becuase I get a lot more black coating my rear rims. I also have a 2005 STR, sliver, and got the parking pads at the dealer for I think $124 a set. They are a bitch to change! It's a mechanical caliper. There is a special tool but I got by by rigging a set of needle nose pilers. But beware, it sucks! Eseically when these things get stuck on and do not want to come off. I ruined a set of rotors by not changing the parkings pads.
I changed all four rotors and pads for something around $450-500. The dealer wanted $900 for only front with only turning rotors! Makre sure they are Brembo pads.
What kind of tool do I need to unscrew the Parking brake Caliper?

Old 09-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Received 6,260 Likes on 5,460 Posts

What kind of tool do I need to unscrew the Parking brake Caliper?
Is it the same as a regular wind in tool? If so you can rent them from Autozone.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

EPB Pads Cheap!
Parking BrakePads for STR only $34 @ Brakeperformance
News Flash!!! I'm told these pads will not fit the STR!!!!

Last edited by maxthrottle; 09-13-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Could be bogus info. Told the pads do not fit the STR
Old 09-01-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by norri
Is it the same as a regular wind in tool? If so you can rent them from Autozone.
Reality is I have no clue. I'll likely find out Saturday Morning though.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by maxthrottle
EPB Pads Cheap!
Parking BrakePads for STR only $34 @ Brakeperformance
Parking Brake Pads
Wow, That's half what I paid not including shipping. I'll make a note for the future. I got Powerstop rotors with their ceramic pads front and rear for a total of 397 shipped......36000 mile warranty against warping.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:18 PM

I forget the name of the tool, but what was said earlier sounds about right. I purchased on eBay a JITS cd (Jaguar manual) that has all the service bulletins and procedures in it. I found that if you can get the rear parking brake caliper apart, I couldn't, it might make turn the pads cylinder back easier. This is important since it's mechanical there are steps to get it released or the car will lock them and you won't be able to remove anything. Can you get a copy of JITS or look online here for the Brembo rear procedure??????

Old 09-02-2011, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member

It's a regular wind-back tool with an end like this picture. It would help if someone would measure the pin sizes and spacing

Over here, I think it may be Laser 1314 but just borrow the AZ one lol

As I recall (!), each side winds back in the same direction but I may be wrong.......
(trivial with the tool)

You should carry out the EPB calibration process (FAQs) after doing this, apparently, as otherwise I think the module tends to leave them dragging on the discs.

You can prevent the EPB from auto-applying as I think has been said by holding its paddle down as you turn off the engine and remove the key. You may need your foot on the brake as you do that.

I WOULD NOT WORK ON THESE WITH THE KEY IN THE IGNITION FOR FEAR OF TRIGGERING THE AUTO-APPLY.

(You can apply them any time by lifting the EPB paddle. I think that's even with the key out! You cannot unapply them without jumping through hoops.)

If you remove the caliper retaining bolts (as distinct from the pad retaining pins), jag say you should discard and replace them. They are not designed for reuse.

Attached Images  

Last edited by JagV8; 09-02-2011 at 05:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Docuzzie (09-02-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by jagv8
It's a regular wind-back tool with an end like this picture. It would help if someone would measure the pin sizes and spacing

Over here, I think it may be Laser 1314 but just borrow the AZ one lol

As I recall (!), each side winds back in the same direction but I may be wrong.......
(trivial with the tool)

You should carry out the EPB calibration process (FAQs) after doing this, apparently, as otherwise I think the module tends to leave them dragging on the discs.

You can prevent the EPB from auto-applying as I think has been said by holding its paddle down as you turn off the engine and remove the key. You may need your foot on the brake as you do that.

I WOULD NOT WORK ON THESE WITH THE KEY IN THE IGNITION FOR FEAR OF TRIGGERING THE AUTO-APPLY.

(You can apply them any time by lifting the EPB paddle. I think that's even with the key out! You cannot unapply them without jumping through hoops.)

If you remove the caliper retaining bolts (as distinct from the pad retaining pins), jag say you should discard and replace them. They are not designed for reuse.
Thank you big time. Where can I buy this tool?

Old 09-02-2011, 07:29 AM

Never Mind, I see you can get them at Sears. Thanks for the Info....

Old 09-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Never Mind, I see you can get them at Sears. Thanks for the Info....

David as jagv8 mentioned, why buy when you can rent for free from Auto Zone, Advanced etc.... They all just require a refundable security deposit.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

It's different over here, I don't think anywhere rents/loans them. I bought a set on ebay that should last me for future cars (yeah, right).

Quick Reply: S Type R Rear Brake Job: Help Please!