Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-type Subwoofers in rear deck

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Default S-type Subwoofers in rear deck

I know this is supposed to be in the stereo section, but since it would be for just an S-type, i thought it would fit better here. Since my subs suck, and yes some may say they are okay, but honestly they suck. If i were to come up with a direct replacement bolt in unit, that didnt suck, what would you say would be a good price point to be at. And were talking about a highly efficient driver, to replace both of the factory ones, in 1 shot. And designed to work from the factory amplifier. Would 200 be out of the question??? Just trying to get a feeling. I have a few companies i am very close with, that would be able to fab something up for us, especially with the impedence change from using 1 driver to replace 2.

Reason is more surface area, means more bass. Also means deeper bass. as a short vrsion of why.

The following users liked this post:
Wuzupez (02-02-2014)
Old 06-03-2009, 07:59 AM
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by phd12volt
I know this is supposed to be in the stereo section, but since it would be for just an S-type, i thought it would fit better here. Since my subs suck, and yes some may say they are okay, but honestly they suck. If i were to come up with a direct replacement bolt in unit, that didnt suck, what would you say would be a good price point to be at. And were talking about a highly efficient driver, to replace both of the factory ones, in 1 shot. And designed to work from the factory amplifier. Would 200 be out of the question??? Just trying to get a feeling. I have a few companies i am very close with, that would be able to fab something up for us, especially with the impedence change from using 1 driver to replace 2.

Reason is more surface area, means more bass. Also means deeper bass. as a short vrsion of why.

I would like to change my subs as well. Is there nothing on the shelf now that would be a simple change and give better punch?I am not up on this stuff but I don't like what is there now. They look like normal off the shelf speakers.I didn't realize there is something Jag specific about them.
By the way I thought my 2001 S type had better sound than my 2006 STR. Go figure?????

Old 06-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Not totally on topic, but related. I had a loaner 06 S-type with the Alpine upgrade with subs. I thought the sound sucked as well. The funny thing is I have a base sound system, and it sounds much better than the upgrade. I thought it may have been something wrong with the loaner. Now I wonder if I'll even bother messing with the stereo.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Cool

I'm in...

Old 06-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

I am also in... The sub is terrible, my Infinit FX45 with the Bose system was unreal and I was more than disappointed when I first heard the STR's system. I basically have to leave the sub on the "neutral" setting, if I turn it up at all it sounds horrific. So yes, I am in, lets do this.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the two factory subs with JL Audio subs, they make a decent 6' woofer (might be 6.5' now). Instead of mounting from the top down into the factory holes, they had to be mounted from the bottom (trunk) up. They sound a lot better and it was an easy fix, the factory amp seems to run they just fine. But if you can fab something up better for $200 I would be interested.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

it would also have to mount from underneath, but it would be 1 piece with 2 8 inch woofers. Impedence compensated for the factory amp, and also highly efficient. say 95db w/m instead of the alpine ones which are around 88.

Please note i am not making any money at all, nor do i intend to. I just want to get the sub more pronounced and better sounding. If i go through and do the work just want to help some others out also. trust me if im making 1 seup i may as well make 5 you know?

Old 06-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in too. $200 for a clean setup sounds like a bargain.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Wink

...Jaysus, is it friggin' done yet? And where is the iPod connection? I want my iPod connection as my entire song collection of over 6,000 songs is silent. I need a little Hendrix with my Hardcastle.

Damn slack movie star *******s.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

the problem i have with the ipod is, not losing any functions as the factory set it up. if i lose the changer, it might be easier. Im trying to get a switcher so i can just feed audio as if a cd was playing. Sound quality is my main goal, along with price. I have some people at nav-tv looking into for me. Worst case scenario is taking the headunit out, and doing a swap of the input wires to feed audio into the amp, and using the ipod to control the music. This can be done relatively easy with a couple relays, or transitors, and also some soldering. It would be much easier then expecting people to rip out their own radios to do it also, if it was plug and play.

I looked into some of the stuff available, and honestly i cant figure out how ANYONE would spend damn near 500 dollars for the one piece.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by searanch

Damn slack movie star *******s.
like thats the first time ive heard that...............lol

Old 06-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get the best punch and least distortion from the two subs in the back if you have your DSP setting set to "Rear". Then you can crank the bass, subs, and volume....distortion is minimal. Still not ideal, and I would love an upgrade...but in the meantime it is the best option.
When I bought my STR I was playing with the stereo and thought it was a piece of sh** because even at low volume the subs were distorting...but realized the DSP setting was on "Front". The "All" setting sucks as well, but "Rear" seems to keep the distortion down...I keep my sub setting 4 notches down from max, and same for the bass setting... can crank it up to about 17 or 18 on a CD before I get any distortion.

I can't believe they went with Alpine....so lame. I had an Infinity with stock Bose 6 speaker system and it blew this Alpine system out of the water. Oh well...

Old 06-05-2009, 06:41 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Good call on the DSP settings, what exactly does it do?

Old 06-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for this post my man. After having a Bose system in my Infiniti Q-45 the current stereo in the S-Type is a real come-down. The Bose system had a DIN connector on the back of the head unit that made it possible for me to hook up a standard mini-plug for my Ipod Touch. It's barely ethical to call Jag's unit a premium stereo. Any information you guys can come up with would be fantastic.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

what size are the factory subs?
they are on my list of "to be upgraded" items... but priority goes to the go fast goodies

I might be in if the price is right. and 2 8"s will fit?!?

Old 06-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

ill rip it apart this weekend with the starting pics. I have 2 subs enroute to me already. Will need to make sure they work off the factory amplifier with ZERO issues. Ill get pics up when the subs arrive first. Then the next step will be doing the measurements of the electrical side, then the fabrication of the mount. Then the listening test. Then we will go from there.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:29 AM

Man, if you can fix my sound for 200 bucks and it fits my 02 s-type & looks good, I'll take one and refer it out. I was gonna have my Fiberglas guy come up with something to fit a 10 or two, but I'd rather pick up what you do. Let me know.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

well, subs arrived today, finally. Ill start on it this week as long as i get the car back from the dealer soon. still in the shop getting the torque converter replaced

Old 06-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be in.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:01 PM

Hey Jason,

Any more news on this?

Quick Reply: S-type Subwoofers in rear deck