S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side View Mirror Backing Question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 136 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Side View Mirror Backing Question?

How does one get the color backing off the side view mirror? I have readthat it snaps off, but one diagram also showed what appeared to be a screw in the middle of it.
The upper bolt rod on the side view mirror (pass. side) just disintegrated and separated the bolt from the assembly (go figure)! I can get plenty of them off Ebay that are not my red color and it appears that the red colored backing is supposed to pop off. That way I can get any color and just put on my red backing and be in like "Flint". I hate forcing things and after tying with several spudgers, but got no moment. So instead of tearing it up= what is the secret?

Thanks

Tom in Dallas/Plano
05 S-Type 3.0

Old 10-02-2017, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

If by backing you mean the curved plastic back that covers all the works, it just levers/snaps off. Mine felt like it would break but didn't. No screws.

There's no separate backing to it. It's a piece of curved plastic, akin to the bumper.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
If by backing you mean the curved plastic back that covers all the works, it just levers/snaps off. Mine felt like it would break but didn't. No screws.

There's no separate backing to it. It's a piece of curved plastic, akin to the bumper.
So I am not confused, I have attached a photo with a yellow line around the piece I am talking about. Did you pull from a certain direction or press in on a certain area or just get a grip ( a little harder as it is smooth material) somewhere on it and just pull straight out or at an angle or do a wiggle type pull motion?

Thanks
Tom

Attached Thumbnails Side View Mirror Backing Question?-resized_20171002_083531.jpg  
Old 10-02-2017, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,275 Likes on 1,792 Posts

Correct that part snaps off. Yes it's held on pretty tightly and I also was concerned I would break it.
But it did pop off.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Correct that part snaps off. Yes it's held on pretty tightly and I also was concerned I would break it.
But it did pop off.
So did you push in on the sides or top when removing or just straight pull it off with brute force?

Thanks

Tom

Old 10-02-2017, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,275 Likes on 1,792 Posts

Start at a seam and insert your pry stick.
When I work with plastic like interior door panels I use plastic pry sticks. Harbor Freight has some cheap ones. That way when I pry it has less chance of damaging paint.

Here is my favorite tool. It's used by glass shops when installing windshield's. They call it a "Windshield Stick".

htthttps://www.kent-automotive.com/K.../P90150.kap://

Looks like this;

I have several and get one started then use another one to help it along. Just takes some playing around but it's not too hard.

This is from the JEPC which is free on this forum? You might find it useful?

Last edited by clubairth1; 10-02-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Start at a seam and insert your pry stick.
When I work with plastic like interior door panels I use plastic pry sticks. Harbor Freight has some cheap ones. That way when I pry it has less chance of damaging paint.

Here is my favorite tool. It's used by glass shops when installing windshield's. They call it a "Windshield Stick".

htthttps://www.kent-automotive.com/K.../P90150.kap://

Looks like this;

I have several and get one started then use another one to help it along. Just takes some playing around but it's not too hard.

This is from the JEPC which is free on this forum? You might find it useful?

Thanks. I had seen the JEPC and have some plastic spudgers (that are about the same thing that I was attempting to use and then backed off as I thought I was applying to much pressure- but I do understand the scene.

Tom

Old 10-02-2017, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Hey Tom, if you would please take a couple of pictures of removal and post to a new thread, that would be awesome!

Thanks
Rick in S.C.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Hey Tom, if you would please take a couple of pictures of removal and post to a new thread, that would be awesome!

Thanks
Rick in S.C.

You assume success- thanks for the faith.

Tom