Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STR fuel pumps

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 12:29 PM
9mm
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default STR fuel pumps

I have a non-starting car and would appreciate some guidance before I start replacing components. It's a 2004 facelift STR rhd and unmodified.
I had a few recent 'restricted performance' warnings which reset after restarting and no other intervention.
The car then died - as in it would crank but not fire.

I have established that I have a healthy spark, good battery and voltage at the pumps. I have changed the fuel filter (old one was not that old and not blocked).
I have a P2634 fault code which comes back on after clearing even though the car won't start. This refers to "fuel pump B control circuit high".
When I switch on the ignition there a definite short whirring sound from the n/s pump but nothing from the o/s.
Despite searching I cannot find any reference to which pump is A and which is B.

You can probably see where I'm going with this - things seem to point to the o/s pump being pump B and being the cause of the non-start situation.

Can anyone confirm which pump is which and offer any additional advice?
I don't want to pull both pumps unnecessarily.

Thanks.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 471 Posts

i just read the RH pump pumps fuel to engine and the LH transfer jet pump transfers fuel from left to right . according to another thread,
in regular non R configuration .
this would lead me to believe in the R it would remain the same except the jet pump is replaced with a secondary fuel pump .
you can monitor your fuel pressure via obd2 using a cheep dongle and an appropriate phone app . or mechanically via the fuel rail on the RH side.

Last edited by Datsports; 04-28-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:05 AM
9mm

Originally Posted by Datsports
i just read the RH pump pumps fuel to engine and the LH transfer jet pump transfers fuel from left to right . according to another thread,
in regular non R configuration .
this would lead me to believe in the R it would remain the same except the jet pump is replaced with a secondary fuel pump .
you can monitor your fuel pressure via obd2 using a cheep dongle and an appropriate phone app . or mechanically via the fuel rail on the RH side.
I don't believe there is a transfer system with the STR. My understanding is that there are two pumps and that the arrangement is unique to the STR in the S-type model range, but shared with some 4.2 supercharged models of similar vintage such as the XJR. Also that there is no primary and secondary pump but I stand to be corrected.

I would really like to know which pump is on circuit A and which is circuit B as there are separate fault codes for each circuit. That would imply there must be documentation somewhere that indicates which side is which.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by 9mm
I don't believe there is a transfer system with the STR.
correct thats what i said in post 2.

[/QUOTE] My understanding is that there are two pumps and that the arrangement is unique to the STR in the S-type model range, but shared with some 4.2 supercharged models of similar vintage such as the XJR[/QUOTE]

yes its the same non return fuel system as the 04-08 XJR.

[/QUOTE]Also that there is no primary and secondary pump but I stand to be corrected.[/QUOTE]

well there is .

Old 04-29-2018, 05:20 AM
9mm

Originally Posted by Datsports
correct thats what i said in post 2.
My understanding is that there are two pumps and that the arrangement is unique to the STR in the S-type model range, but shared with some 4.2 supercharged models of similar vintage such as the XJR[/QUOTE]

yes its the same non return fuel system as the 04-08 XJR.

[/QUOTE]Also that there is no primary and secondary pump but I stand to be corrected.[/QUOTE]

well there is .[/QUOTE]

Super.

But do you know which side is pump B and which side is pump A?

I assume not, or you would said so already, so does anyone else know?

It seems very odd to me that we have separate P codes referring to the two different pump circuits but there's no quick reference to which is which.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

The quick reference used by Jaguar dealers is the workshop manual.

It's even free (yes! really) on here to download or you can pay to join Jaguar's TOPIX.

BTW this is a VERY rare code.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:24 AM
9mm

Originally Posted by JagV8
The quick reference used by Jaguar dealers is the workshop manual.

It's even free (yes! really) on here to download or you can pay to join Jaguar's TOPIX.

BTW this is a VERY rare code.
I've had a browse through the workshop manual and couldn't see any way to assign the designation A or B to the appropriate pump so I was hoping someone would know. It appears it's unknown across the internet as well. I'll have another trawl through the manual. It will get me off to sleep if nothing else.

If it's not in the manual I'll work it out. Think I'll start with the pump that isn't making any noise. 50:50 so it won't take that long. Not surprised it's a rare code to be honest. I can't remember ever having a fuel pump failure in any car I've owned.

Last edited by 9mm; 04-29-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:32 PM
Received 6,256 Likes on 5,456 Posts

According to the electrical diagram No1 is Right Side and No2 is Left Side.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:54 PM
9mm

Thank you Norri.

Do you know if the reference to left and right is viewed as standing behind the vehicle? So in a UK rhd drive car the rhs would be driver's side?

It would seem logical that pump 1 is pump A and pump 2 is pump B so it's a little frustrating the fault codes refers to A and B while the circuit diagram uses numbers.

You'll appreciate I want to avoid pulling both pumps unless absolutely necessary.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

All directions are as if seated to drive forwards.

In my data, P2634 is not B. It is 2.

Where did you find Jaguar data saying B? (Anyway, don't worry, just treat it as 2.)

Last edited by JagV8; 04-29-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:05 PM
9mm

Originally Posted by JagV8
All directions are as if seated to drive forwards.

In my data, P2634 is not B. It is 2.

Where did you find Jaguar data saying B? (Anyway, don't worry, just treat it as 2.)
Thank you - that's much appreciated.

FWIW the B came from a Creader scanner. May help anyone else following a false trail like me although as you'll see by googling Jaguar P2634 it only brings up references to B.

I'm surprised it's the n/s pump as that's the one whirring when the ignition comes on but we'll see.

Last edited by 9mm; 04-29-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

Ah... it's good enough I suppose.

Congrats on such a rare error BTW!

Old 05-21-2018, 12:05 PM
9mm

Unfortunately I have still have a non starting car. Been away for a while and now back on the case.

I'd appreciate some help getting to the root cause. Here's what I have/know:

Both pumps run (one is new). I have swapped motors and tested out of car.
I have a spark
Car will fire with a squirt of starter fluid
Have checked the two throttle body connections for water ingress - all dry
TB seems to be functioning - flap locked under power, normal whine with ignition on (TB not me)
Inertia switch in footwell checked
All fuses are good
New fuel filter
New quality battery and fully charged
Everything else on the car works as normal
Spins on starter normally
Not flooding and no petrol smell (have taken plugs out and checked)
P2634 cleared and no other codes other than the P1000 pending code present
I'm getting a fuel rail pressure reading of 321 kpa (approx 46 psi) from an electronic code reader with the ignition on
Pumps can be heard priming when ignition switched on
Nothing other than what's listed above has been messed about with since the car stopped running which does suggest a component failure
No revs registering on the counter when it turns over

So my amateur deduction is that something is stopping the fuel from being sent to the injectors or it is reaching the injectors but something is stopping them from working. FPS or something else? CPS?

Thoughts on the above appreciated. I keep looking at the mallet in the garage and am starting to lose patience.

Last edited by 9mm; 05-21-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 544 Likes on 408 Posts

check injector pulse width with a scanner or get a plug in noid light that flashes when the injector is supposed to fire....sounds like that is the only thing you are missing...a scanner is easier because you can do it yourself...not sure the manufacturer of the fuel delivery system is...you need to know that to get the correct noid light...usually you can get a set of lights that cover most all gasoline vehicles...you might even try cranking the engine with a helper and listen under the hood for the clicking sound of the injectors...a wooden dowel positioned near or on top of the injector works great for the click test...good luck

Old 05-21-2018, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

forgot to add...if no revs are registering..hook up to a scanner if at all possible and make sure it is reading that the crankshaft and/ or camshaft signal is being picked up by the ecm...it should be a yes or no data point...I believe it says ckp signal present...then a yes or no...i have a snap on solus pro and a very nice icarsoft unit that is for jaguar/landrover only....any scanner that reads the ckp sensor will work

Old 05-21-2018, 03:06 PM
9mm

I spoke too soon.

P2634 code is there again. "fuel pump B control circuit high"

In an attempt to isolate it I disconnected both pumps at their connectors and cleared the code. Connected the rhs first and no code. Disconnected and connected lhs and no code. Connected both and no code. Physical examination of all wiring not revealing any damage and all connections are tight and appear sound. Have also swapped the RECM in the boot to no effect.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

I googled your code and found a wealth of info to read...there are a few good ones if you are interested and have not already done so....most of them point to wiring and/or module issues...even the the can bus that allows all of the modules to communicate with each other and the ecm can be the culprit....I am still learning about the returnless fuel system myself, but I am wondering if the pump in question is making too much pressure and the ecm is shutting the whole thing down for safety...just a thought

Old 05-21-2018, 04:13 PM
9mm

Originally Posted by scottjh9
I googled your code and found a wealth of info to read...there are a few good ones if you are interested and have not already done so....most of them point to wiring and/or module issues...even the the can bus that allows all of the modules to communicate with each other and the ecm can be the culprit....I am still learning about the returnless fuel system myself, but I am wondering if the pump in question is making too much pressure and the ecm is shutting the whole thing down for safety...just a thought
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to give it one more try at isolating the problem but it's taking too much time now and I think I need an expert with the right kind of diagnostic software. All thoughts welcome and I will be sure to update the thread with the solution when it's eventually found.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

If both RECMs feed the pump concerned and both give P2634 you'd think it had to be the pump or wiring.

But... looks to me that pump 2 is off its own module, so everything involving the pump & module are suspect.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,775 Posts

Depress the Schrader valve on the fuel rail after cycling the key off and on several times without cranking the engine.
Did you get a strong spray of fuel?

The STR runs off 1 fuel pump until 3000 rpm then both pumps are used to feed the engine. As was posted no jet pump on the STR.

I think you have to to be VERY close to finding the problem!

Quick Reply: STR fuel pumps