Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STR involved in hit and run

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 01:17 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default STR involved in hit and run

http://www.arlnow.com/2010/10/22/hit...in-courthouse/

i wonder if that was enough to total it?

Old 12-28-2010, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

That sucks, it seems salvagable but I believe this car is a "goner"

Old 12-28-2010, 03:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Good source of scrap parts
Sad to see it, though

Old 12-28-2010, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Owner should have it totalled then rebuild her at half the cost.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Owner should have it totalled then rebuild her at half the cost.
Eh then it goes salvage title, requires the reinspection etc, and isn't worth much of anything.

People think they are going to save money, so they buy these cars and fix them up. But in the end unless it's an older car it's usually not worth it. The best thing the owner could do is buy it back for pennies on the dollar and part it, or list it on ebay as a whole. He'd make some extra cash that way.

Goerge

Old 12-28-2010, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

If the guy driving was the owner, then he should be put in prison and banned from Jaguars for the rest of his life. Destroying an STR requires capital punishment.

If it was stolen, which is more likely IMHO, then I feel very sorry for the actual owner.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OK people start sources it out.....Lets find it and get the parts of it!

Old 12-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by The Chris X
If the guy driving was the owner, then he should be put in prison and banned from Jaguars for the rest of his life. Destroying an STR requires capital punishment.

If it was stolen, which is more likely IMHO, then I feel very sorry for the actual owner.
These cars are extremely hard to steal running and driving without getting your hands on a key. And the Key is programmed to the car in the car, so even a crooked dealer that can cut keys isn't going to help you. Only way to get a stolen one running and driving is to take the keys, and or the car by force while its running.

So the probability of it being stolen isn't that high. However before we banish the owner to a life of hard labor and Jaguarlessness, look at the car. Looks like it was hit HARD from behind, and then he hit the police in front of him. This first accident is NOT his fault unless he reversed into something. He was just sitting in traffic / light etc and someone slammed into him from behind.

Why he bolted and hit the cops etc, well that's a different story...

George

Last edited by androulakis; 12-28-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh man, I've been a car nut all my life and I've only seen one other STR in the DC area - bad luck I guess on my part as far as sightings go? I bring this up because the one STR I saw was in Falls Church (nearby to Arlington) and it was that same color - I wonder if it's the same car?

Old 12-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Riski
OK people start sources it out.....Lets find it and get the parts of it!
I feel like such a dirty hyena wanted to tear her apart but I'm with you! Let's keep our ebay eyes peeled.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Again, if I were the owner I buy her back for a buck and fix her up, regardless of salvage title, then mod her into the beast she is...I call the spare tire!

Old 12-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, yer probably right George. Just irks me knowing it'll be dismantled. I say we all bow our heads in memorium for this poor soon to be "de-parted" (pun intended) STR...Hmmmmmm....

Last edited by bfsgross; 12-28-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Again, if I were the owner I buy her back for a buck and fix her up, regardless of salvage title, then mod her into the beast she is...I call the spare tire!
Too Much damage...

Off the top of my head:

Front bumper cover
Hood
Passenger Headlight
Passenger Fender
Trunk
Rear Spoiler
Trunk Trim pieces
Driver Tail Light
Rear bumper cover + supports
Rear trunk filler panel
Rear Quarter
Probably a new rear tub (cut the trunk floor out and weld it)
Wonder what the rear suspension / Axle allignment looks like - did the driver rear strut tower move?
At least the drivers side muffler (i know you would go Aftermarket).
Wonder if an airbag blew.. I doubt it.

If you could source used parts, everything is bolt on except for the rear tub and quarter / filler panel. Assuming the suspension is untouched parts and labor for that is probably 4-5k. I'm sure it's gonna need a tweak on the frame machine as well.

Figure at least 1500-2k for all the other used parts (and that's shopping VERY smart).

Then figure at least 1500 for the paintwork. Once again being cheap.

So your 7500-8k into repairs doing everything but the rear frame yourself, and spending hours scrounging for the right parts. Figure another 1k or so for the car. And you're at 9k.
And that's assuming there is NO underneath damage and nothing mechanical, and that you can find every part very cheaply used.

What's one of those worth? 15-16k at retail? 12-13k in the auction lanes if that? I'll look at copart auctions where this will inevitably show up if you're really interested in it.

Smart $$ would be to buy it and part it out. Cars are one of those things where parts are worth a lot more $$ than the sum of the parts.

George

The following 2 users liked this post by androulakis:
bfsgross (12-28-2010), ChrisSTR (12-28-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I highly doubt its worth 15k unless it has 60,000 miles on it. I see '07 STR's in my area with 15-20,000 miles going for about $25000 - $27000 depending on color combos and such. Then if you add in the select edition warranty thats another 2 grand

Old 12-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 08Z06
I highly doubt its worth 15k unless it has 60,000 miles on it. I see '07 STR's in my area with 15-20,000 miles going for about $25000 - $27000 depending on color combos and such. Then if you add in the select edition warranty thats another 2 grand
At a Jag dealer sure. I'm in Jersey too. My family has a dealer license so I'm kind of spoiled.

I don't think that's an 07 but it's def 05+
You can get 07's in the auction lanes from Jaguar Credit for sub 20k. Sure they wont be the super pristine 15-20k mile ones that the dealers keep, but one owner lease cars, with 35-50k.

How many of these cars do you think are that low in miles as we approach 2011?? 45-50k would be the norm now.

George

Old 12-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 215 Likes on 127 Posts

Its an 05 most likely since it has the rear trunk trim painted the body color and not chrome like the 06+. Wish they got a side shot so you can see if there are brembos then you would know for sure.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
These cars are extremely hard to steal running and driving without getting your hands on a key. And the Key is programmed to the car in the car, so even a crooked dealer that can cut keys isn't going to help you. Only way to get a stolen one running and driving is to take the keys, and or the car by force while its running.

So the probability of it being stolen isn't that high. However before we banish the owner to a life of hard labor and Jaguarlessness, look at the car. Looks like it was hit HARD from behind, and then he hit the police in front of him. This first accident is NOT his fault unless he reversed into something. He was just sitting in traffic / light etc and someone slammed into him from behind.

Why he bolted and hit the cops etc, well that's a different story...

George
We can both make assumptions and support them since neither of us actually knows the facts other than what is in the article. It intrigues me as to why someone would run away from a significant rear end collision if they were innocent. Perhaps if they were drunk, that may explain such behavior. Other than that....why?

Yes it is hard to steal these cars but it happens. I could probably steal a car a day from a gas station since many people leave their cars running while they run into the store. Maybe he double parked. Maybe it was a valet, who knows other than the cops and the driver at this point.

The driver may have pulled out in front of someone, or ran a signal light and got clipped. Or lost control and spun into something hitting rear end first - many buildings in DC are surrounded by bollards. Or maybe he was just minding his business and got rear ended as you theorize, then freaked out and took off.

I've done a good bit of driving in DC and Lord knows anything can happen down there.

I'm still tempted to hit him with the Jag Ban Hammer but will offer a reprieve in light of the sketchy facts.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

It's an 05 unless someone took the time to paint the trunk trim, but doubt it.

05 is the only refreshed year that had body color trunk trim. From 06 and up they were all chrome.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by The Chris X
We can both make assumptions and support them since neither of us actually knows the facts other than what is in the article. It intrigues me as to why someone would run away from a significant rear end collision if they were innocent. Perhaps if they were drunk, that may explain such behavior. Other than that....why?

Yes it is hard to steal these cars but it happens. I could probably steal a car a day from a gas station since many people leave their cars running while they run into the store. Maybe he double parked. Maybe it was a valet, who knows other than the cops and the driver at this point.

The driver may have pulled out in front of someone, or ran a signal light and got clipped. Or lost control and spun into something hitting rear end first - many buildings in DC are surrounded by bollards. Or maybe he was just minding his business and got rear ended as you theorize, then freaked out and took off.

I've done a good bit of driving in DC and Lord knows anything can happen down there.

I'm still tempted to hit him with the Jag Ban Hammer but will offer a reprieve in light of the sketchy facts.
The more I look at it It looks like he reversed into something.... The crushing in the trunk looks like he hit a post or something. What I don't get is the rear bumper cover. How it decided to come off at the 2nd accident scene. Either way it's a shame that another STR it's on it's way to Jaguar Heaven (or hell depending on how you classify the dismantling yard).

In any case you are right as to the fact that we're speculating and will truly never know the facts of the situation.

Take care,
George