S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STR OWNERS- Gauging interest

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

$250 is completely reasonable imho. It isn't just the tube, but it is ceramic coated as well (never seen this done on any other intake). Back with my bimmer, I had a Dinan intake that was over $500 for it and very few people complained about it. Just my .02

Old 10-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

The biggest obstacle we are running into is the getting the quick connect machined at a reasonable price for the PCV. I think that is the larger driver to the cost.

Im certain we can keep the costs down if people dont mind running a little filter on driver side bank, then again Im not sure what effects it can have since the banks will not be pressurized equally.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mafioso
The biggest obstacle we are running into is the getting the quick connect machined at a reasonable price for the PCV. I think that is the larger driver to the cost.

Im certain we can keep the costs down if people dont mind running a little filter on driver side bank, then again Im not sure what effects it can have since the banks will not be pressurized equally.
filter only will trip the dreaded check engine light

Old 10-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by blaksplash
filter only will trip the dreaded check engine light

thats what I was afraid of.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Veteran member

JB weld it on!

Old 10-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This sounds like a better setup than I have.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

The Goal is to make it look as OE as possible.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Star
$250 is completely reasonable imho. It isn't just the tube, but it is ceramic coated as well (never seen this done on any other intake). Back with my bimmer, I had a Dinan intake that was over $500 for it and very few people complained about it. Just my .02
The reason why DINAN is priced so high is because it allows you to keep your stock warranty. Go in to service with a DINAN part and it will not void your warranty, and they will not refuse to service your car.

This Mod, being a modification will void any warranty for us with them still active. It still should not stop anyone from getting it though, just take it off before you go to the dealership, 5 min job.

If it shows a dyno gain of about 10 hp count me in, considering it will be less than 250.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by TheTransporter
The reason why DINAN is priced so high is because it allows you to keep your stock warranty. Go in to service with a DINAN part and it will not void your warranty, and they will not refuse to service your car.

This Mod, being a modification will void any warranty for us with them still active. It still should not stop anyone from getting it though, just take it off before you go to the dealership, 5 min job.

If it shows a dyno gain of about 10 hp count me in, considering it will be less than 250.
BS it voids a warranty.

http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

Old 10-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

The only way it can void the warranty is a direct modification to said part and it will only void the warranty of said part.

The anti corrosion warranty can not be voided because of an intake elbow ;-)

Old 10-19-2010, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

What's so great about this setup?
The filter sucks hot engine compartment air. More so at slower speeds.
The aluminum is a better conductor of heat than plastic.
Presumably the filter DOES allow for more flow.

Has anyone actually recorded the effect of this on warm days?

Originally Posted by 03JagSTR
This sounds like a better setup than I have.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I think he's saying that just having the ceramic coated intake pipe being discussed in this thread, along with the factory airbox, would be preferable to his open intake set up he currently has and showed in the picture.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

Ok I got the ceramic coating part and the initial tests at idle in a hot climate show an improvement. But that exposed airfilter in identical conditions is going to suck hotter air than a properly shrouded and ducted filter would.

Bob S.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Hi Bob, the open air element is/will be replaced by/with stock airbox.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Hi Bob, the open air element is/will be replaced by/with stock airbox.

That is correct We have a killer stock airbox setup including the flap. since it opens at WOT to allow extra air in.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  19.3 KB

Ok Mafioso, everybodys on this like fleas on a dog......Jeeesh, I don't have an S type and I even dropped by.
The thing is.....everyones asking for pictures and you still haven't provided one??
Gotta make it happen!!

I'm thinking if you don't make it happen by tomorrow I'll change your username to "Teaser" and revert you back to Junior member with a 10 post count

Old 10-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

It's more than I'd be willing to pay but sounds reasonable (I'm cheap and I can powdercoat myself). Get some photos up and some dyno numbers and maybe I'll change my mind. Thanks for working on this though!

Old 10-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JimC64

Ok Mafioso, everybodys on this like fleas on a dog......Jeeesh, I don't have an S type and I even dropped by.
The thing is.....everyones asking for pictures and you still haven't provided one??
Gotta make it happen!!

I'm thinking if you don't make it happen by tomorrow I'll change your username to "Teaser" and revert you back to Junior member with a 10 post count

HAHA! thats awesome only reason I havent psot any pics, is becuase we are still in the prototype stage and kinda embarassed at the unfinished product haha Its been hacked, coated hacked more grinded on, welded, beaten. just to get a final prototype ready to go.

Originally It was being made just for me but into doing so much work, I figured this is something everyone else can have a chance to enjoy.

the Goal is OE fit. and a reasonable price.

The Update is Im having an issue with the machinist to make the fitting for the PCV tube out of T6061 to match materials so it might ge on to plan B if I cant make it reasonable cost.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All for it if it reduces heat soak in our cars...the engine bay gets hot enough as is...

If it looks good and works without throwing codes...I'm in...

Old 10-21-2010, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member

Is this going to eliminate that horrible OEM plastic no-flex flex piece that everyone has so much trouble with when changing the air filter?

Hey, if the exterior finishing becomes an expensive proposition you could always wrinkle finish it. That covers a multitude of sins.
You're doing a ceramic coating just on the inside right?

Bob S.

Originally Posted by Mafioso
HAHA! thats awesome only reason I havent psot any pics, is becuase we are still in the prototype stage and kinda embarassed at the unfinished product haha Its been hacked, coated hacked more grinded on, welded, beaten. just to get a final prototype ready to go.

Originally It was being made just for me but into doing so much work, I figured this is something everyone else can have a chance to enjoy.

the Goal is OE fit. and a reasonable price.

The Update is Im having an issue with the machinist to make the fitting for the PCV tube out of T6061 to match materials so it might ge on to plan B if I cant make it reasonable cost.

Last edited by Staatsof; 10-21-2010 at 05:20 AM.

Quick Reply: STR OWNERS- Gauging interest