Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Acting Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 136 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Strange Acting Check Engine Light

My Jag has been running fine and no problems except to keep it clean.

Yesterday morning I took the car out and noticed a check engine light. I had only driven about 1/2 mile and came back home and restarted the car several times and same check engine light. Decided I would rive down to Autozone and do a check with their scanner (about 2.5 miles away) Waled in and found them too busy and di not have the hour to wait- went back outside and NO check engine light. Drove a number of places yesterday, stopped and stared several times and no check engine light. Figuring it might be temperature related, I waiting until this morning, when the car was cold and NO check engine light.

I will have access to a scanner tomorrow and will see if any codes are present, but this runs counter to what I have heard or seen before. There was no noticeable problem when the check engine light was on- nothing had changed, it did not throw me into a restricted performance.

My understanding from a previous incident (when I had left the MAF sensor unplugged after replacing an air filter) and other general forum comments is that the check engine light will stay on for a number of cycles after the problem is fixed. I am pretty certain that i did not even run it one cycle before it disappeared and did nothing to fix as knew nothing to fix.

Obviously I will know more after I get a scanner tomorrow, but has anyone experienced that type of check engine light problem before or could it just be a false positive or some error in the way the engine was being read.

Just for clarification, what counts in the 2005 S-Type series as a complete cycle

Thanks for help and suggestions.

Tom in Dallas
2005 S-Type 3.0, 50K

Old 05-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

A minor SES light will remove it self once error is resolved. Example, low coolent light, top off coolent, light goes off. I'd start by checking sensor conections less you can pull the code.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks. The first thing I did when I got home was to check all the levels in the car, however in this car- as I had to replace the coolant reserve tank once, was that I get a message that says low coolant and never got a check engine light.

The only thing i had done that could have affected anything was to get gas the day before, but checked by filler cap and it was on tight too.

The answer will probably come from the scanner, but are there check engine lights that do not store a code?

Thanks

Tom

Old 05-31-2011, 10:19 AM

Don't really know. I'm sure someone more knowlegeable will chime in. But I'd think that if a light comes on, a code was pulled. I'm pretty sure that thier is two types of codes, bad, and REALLY bad. bad ones go away when fixed? I hope it's something easy n quick to fix.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Tom the code will be stored, even with the CEL not illuminated.

We can not help until you get the codes read.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

I know- it just seems like one of those strange things, but perhaps Jag will categorize their codes in such a way that very minor ones don't leave the chk eng. light on for long. I will have a code pulled by tomorrow night and will report accordingly.

On the second question, what constitutes a complete driving cycle for the S-type 3.0?

Tom

The following users liked this post:
Norge (07-04-2017)
Old 05-31-2011, 10:32 AM

Do a search on Google for P1000 drive cycle for you car. I've done a forced P1000 on my Lightning per my dyno shop and let me tell you, it is a pain in the butt to hit all the paramiters when your trying to do it, all while data-logging. I have a print out for my SVTL, but I'm sure it's different for every vehical.?

Old 05-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Depending on reason for cel, it will turn on for a fault that is pending(looking for problem again on multiple ignition cycles, and some have to be concurant and others just twice) if it doesnt meet those parameters then the cel will go off and should store the code as historic. Keep in mind that generic scanners do not in most cases show a jag specific code. So it may show none there when there is actually 1 stored.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks. My friend who owns a XKR has a scanner that will show all- including pending and history.

T

Old 05-31-2011, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Give me a call if you still have my #. I can pull the codes for you.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Read the codes PDFs if you want to understand more about when they flag etc. Lots of detail in there. If you want more, go read about OBD II on the net (but have lots of time available!).

Old 05-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mafioso
Give me a call if you still have my #. I can pull the codes for you.
Thanks, but one of my friends has one and I will get it tomorrow. Just out of my curious nature- which scanner do you use?

Tom

Old 05-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

AE for now.

looking to get my paws on a WDS/IDS

Old 06-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Default The CODES

I had no more check engine light until today and was coming from a stop light and accelerating. I got a very quick restricted performance- ( I mean for like 2 seconds of engine change) and then the notice (of restrictive engine performance) remained for about 20 seconds, although I was not in RP, just normal driving, but now the check engine light was back. I instinctively knew what I was pretty sure that was going on- stopped by the auto parts and picked up a MAF cleaner. Went home and ran the scanner and pulled 2 codes. The first one I expected and it was P0174 bank 2 too lean.

Removed the MAF and saw one side of the amber sensor to be black with whatever makes it black. Used the cleaner and got it back to consistent with the other side.

I have no doubt that was my problem and based on my friends essential same problem on his 2000XKR- well we were in the same boat.

I am what is called an easy driver. Do maintenance and will not skimp on mileage or costs and knew I had no sudden vacuum leaks in the car.
One side of the MAF sensor was black with crap and I have no doubt figured that out.

The other code-which would not clear by the Actron auto-scanner Plus (CP9580) model was a P1111 which was listed as "No DTC definitions"- see service manual. I have no idea as to what that means and assume the service manual is for that of the scanner. The DTC works in rain or ice and I have no error messages regarding that- so any answers until I go check some service manual.

According to the site- it means the following:

precise definition, ensure the correct Vehicle System is chosen. Here is the Definition of your Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)
Make Jaguar Year 2005 Model S-Type Engine 3.0 Vehicle System GLOBAL OBDII Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P1111
DTC Definition: Manufacturer Controlled Fuel And Air Metering
and I assume that relates directly to the P0174 and once cleaned- that will be the end of that.

Any opinions or suggestions offered.
Thanks

Tom in Dallas
2005 S-Type 3.0 51K

Last edited by jazzwineman; 06-01-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

P1111 is all monitors ready

Old 06-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mafioso
P1111 is all monitors ready

I just added to my post and that was pretty much what i thought. The dirty MAF is the devil in the works.

Does anyone think I need to clean any other part in the housing of the throttle body or in the lines or just leave it be.

I would love to change plugs, just as I like to stay on top of things (even though there is no indication of a problem) , but the manifold issue makes that a long job with some potential created problems, unless I am reading too much into that.

Last edited by jazzwineman; 06-01-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzwineman
I had no more check engine light until today and was coming from a stop light and accelerating. I got a very quick restricted performance- ( I mean for like 2 seconds of engine change) and then the notice (of restrictive engine performance) remained for about 20 seconds, although I was not in RP, just normal driving, but now the check engine light was back. I instinctively knew what I was pretty sure that was going on- stopped by the auto parts and picked up a MAF cleaner. Went home and ran the scanner and pulled 2 codes. The first one I expected and it was P0174 bank 2 too lean.

Removed the MAF and saw one side of the amber sensor to be black with whatever makes it black. Used the cleaner and got it back to consistent with the other side.

I have no doubt that was my problem and based on my friends essential same problem on his 2000XKR- well we were in the same boat.

I am what is called an easy driver. Do maintenance and will not skimp on mileage or costs and knew I had no sudden vacuum leaks in the car.
One side of the MAF sensor was black with crap and I have no doubt figured that out.
Don't be too sure. Usually a dirty MAF creates codes common to both banks - think about why!!

If you're lucky you had one lean code and another about to flag, and the MAF was the culprit.
Originally Posted by jazzwineman
The other code-which would not clear by the Actron auto-scanner Plus (CP9580) model was a P1111 which was listed as "No DTC definitions"- see service manual. I have no idea as to what that means and assume the service manual is for that of the scanner. The DTC works in rain or ice and I have no error messages regarding that- so any answers until I go check some service manual.

According to the site- it means the following:

precise definition, ensure the correct Vehicle System is chosen. Here is the Definition of your Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)
Make Jaguar Year 2005 Model S-Type Engine 3.0 Vehicle System GLOBAL OBDII Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P1111
DTC Definition: Manufacturer Controlled Fuel And Air Metering
and I assume that relates directly to the P0174 and once cleaned- that will be the end of that.

Any opinions or suggestions offered.
Thanks

Tom in Dallas
2005 S-Type 3.0 51K
Please report that bug to the site concerned as it is the WRONG meaning for P1111.

Did you not get P1000? You should have!!

edit: plugs not due till 70K, don't be put off by the manifold (see FAQs), but coil(s) more likely to fail than plug(s)

Last edited by JagV8; 06-02-2011 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other things to consider

Sounds like you have the problem fixed. Here are a couple of things to watch out for with the S-type (I have one). The passanger side rear axle near the wheel will rust with time snapping a stanless still ring which provides the speed for the computer (not the speedometer). Once it snaps you will get intermittment and buried codes on incomplete codes. There is an inspection port on the inside or the hub near the Wheel. Also make sure your PVC hose is ribbed or it can collapse at odd times creating a fuel starvation symptom. Other than that replacing a few O-rings and hoses have been the only major problems.

Best of luck.