S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange rotational noise from nearside rear assembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 01:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default strange rotational noise from nearside rear assembly

I have 130+K on my S-Type engine wise is purring still, V8, what D'ya expect. The thing is the rear bearings were getting noisy so decided to change them out which once attempted was not difficult have a press which I customised for the Jag making the gate area wider for pressing. Off side I've also replaced lower swing arm and Stabiliser bar and its quiet and seems fine. The nearside I buggered a bearing in the hub and had to extract and replace with a new one. There is a small squeak from the pads, as the wife puts it a small bird caught in the wheel chirping.........bless her! and thought the disc which a pair new recently might have warped from over heating on the count the bearing was not running true....but no it measures up fine on an engineering gauge. The thing which is really baffling me is there is this sound of Rubber on the wheel rotating but the only rubber around is that of the CV boot and nothing catching on that. Took the cup off and regressed the CV coupling and refitted the boot cover tight and no play in the CV joint. Changed the wheels over on rear in case I had a buckled one nearside from severe pot holes down our lane but generally am aware and drive around. The rubbery noise is not on a full wheel rotation but I'm guessing twice on one wheel rotation. Drive with rear window down close to a wall and the noise reflected back from wall, its not loud but its there and thought replacement of the lower bushes in the lower arm at hub end and shock might cure it as if there is movement it could be amplifying from the rubber bush breakdown, but just thought if anyone else had ideas as to me missing something. I know the wheel aint going to drop off and its all secure there as I do ensure the right Torque on the bolts etc any ideas people?

Oh and whilst here I've pressed the bush out of the replaced lower arm hub end I noticed it had a shank on it and had to come out backwards in other words pressed out toward the stabiliser lugg side, the question I have is does anyone know if the bush on the top right of the arm eg; chassis fitting side and back of the car end come out any particular way - either left way toward the other leg of the arm or to the right away from the other arm. Is there a special tool needed to get it out does any one know as the arm gets in the way of the pressing down bolt from the hydraulic jack ?

Appreciate any thoughts on anything mentioned.

Thanks in advance.............well thats done