Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for the best OBDII and or other tools

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Suggestions for the best OBDII and or other tools

I though I would start a thread where those in the know could list their prefewrences and why/how they feel this way. I'm starting this based upon discussions from a recent thread.

If I'm duplicatiing or there's a really good discussion elsewhere just let me know but I think a sticky on this topic would be great.

================================================== ======

Originally Posted by jagv8
I'd read the codes either by getting my own reader (I have, elm327 is $20 on ebay) or waiting till somewhere's open. There's a ton of extra things you can do with your own elm327 that you can't do for free at AutoZone etc.

However, if there are codes in the tranny, you need a dealer-type device to read them - which the free places do NOT have.
Originally Posted by jagv8
I'd read the codes either by getting my own reader (I have, elm327 is $20 on ebay) or waiting till somewhere's open. There's a ton of extra things you can do with your own elm327 that you can't do for free at AutoZone etc.

However, if there are codes in the tranny, you need a dealer-type device to read them - which the free places do NOT have.
Originally Posted by qwiketz

Question. If I get the autoenginuity software, will I more than likely be able to diagnose my problems or will I need to by the add on packs to get all the code reading that I'll need. It seems like the basic pack should do it. I think it was about $250, which I'm willing to spend right now, but I don't want to spend too much more.

Will the software allow me to reset/clear the computer memory in the car to remove the error codes in the memory?
Originally Posted by h20boy
Yes, it will.

The basic hardware/software will be very good for your basic diagnostics, including the transmission. I can't speak for the difference between the basic and expansion...as I just want the full monty right off the bat.

Are you sure you don't want to just get the auto parts store to try and capture a Pcode for the transmission? Unless you know you'll want the AE later on, for the more advanced user features, the basic code should get you pretty close to the current problem.

Bob S.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

There's a good OBD thread higher up the site somewhere with details and recommendations.

#1 question: approx how many $$$ are you able/willing to spend?

Arguably the best tool is IDS but it's measured in $1000s.