S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tested: New Tuning Option for STR!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
I wouldn't have expected anything else to be honest, but don't you have any a/f ratios measured? Do you know how much timing they advanced, and how much they changed the a/f ratio?
Agreed, I wasn't expecting huge gains either, and the powerband in a few spots still has a decent 10+ gain, so not too shabby for what it is.

I did some datalogging for ignition, A/F, etc, that I still have to go through and provide some analysis and review of as well. Will get to that next.

Originally Posted by Under Pressure
Not too shabby - 7.1 rwhp achieved. How much did you pay for this tune? If its around $800 USD then that's a pretty good bang for the buck. Speed costs money, right?
I think this tune is $500-$800 depending what sort of promotion they have going at the time/what sort of rebate you can talk them into.

Not sure if everyone will share your feelings in regards to cost effectiveness of the tune for peak power gains. If you look at the overall improvement, 10-15hp across the range, the subjective improvement in driveability, slightly more fuel efficient, and what feels like a nice bump between 3,000-4,800rpm, I think it was a decent gain. Not much else I can do in terms of mods now anyways, so I'll take what I can get.

Originally Posted by Michael Star
What makes me scratch my head is stock STRs dyno in the 330whp range and with the mods you are at less than that. Granted I think those were a dynojet, but that still seems like a huge difference.
Indeed, figured this would be brought up. The dynapack dyno may in fact read a bit lower than most others out there. Maybe my STR is a bit tired and doesn't put out the best of numbers, hard to say. Not really concerned about the actual power figures measured; the dyno is just a tool for consistent and repeatable testing.

I will be hitting the track sometime soon, and the trap speed mph will be more indicative where my STR stands in terms of power.

With that said, because my dynapack numbers read a bit lower than most other STR figures we've seen, it stands to reason the gains in proportion to total power are also slightly smaller. In other words, you guys dyno'ing 350whp on a dynojet for instance, might net a bit more from the tune than what I did.

I still have a water/meth injection kit I been meaning to install, so I may just get around to doing that this week. I might stick to the shell 91 v-power this way, otherwise, I think I will be making a permanent switch to the top-shelf 94 octane.

Last edited by GT42R; 10-15-2013 at 11:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Cambo (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Real life measured numbers finally!!

Thanks for all your work. It was not a big increase but we now know it's possible to get the STR tuned.

Who knows, with more cars tuned and more experience for the tuner maybe the power increase will get bigger. We really are just beginners in this and more is to be found out with time.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
So, assuming Jake survived his turkey induced stupor, I'm sure he'll be posting the analysis of his results shortly. Raw numbers can some times be misleading. Gotta make sure it's apples/apples.
Do our northern neighbors eat turkey on their Thanksgiving Day? Or might it be Canadian Bacon, eh?

Old 10-15-2013, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Who knows, with more cars tuned and more experience for the tuner maybe the power increase will get bigger. We really are just beginners in this and more is to be found out with time.
Indeed, Jerry confirmed this particular tune was still a bit on the conservative side, and he left some room for additional gains. If I was willing to do some dyno runs and pay the hourly rate, he would develop a tune more specific to my application, and therefore get more gains out of it. Not sure how much more that would net to be honest, and if it would be worth it at all. I think thats money better saved for the twin-screw/twin-screw-custom-tune fund.

Would be nice to to see someone else repeat this same test on their STR/4.2SC car, just to see the difference in gains.

Cambo (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Thanks!

This was a really informative thread. Thanks for taking the time to post all the graphics. Very easy to understand.
Steve

Old 10-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Awesome! finally hard number we can look at. As many have said, not amazing gains but 10-15 HP increase at some points is a good bang for your buck. And thanks for putting all this up for us, its great to be able to finally see results on a STR tune.

GT42R (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,497 Likes on 3,912 Posts

At that price I reckon more will go for it. Heck, look at the blower port & polish price and how little use it seems to be.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Received 2,256 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumpin' Jag Flash
Do our northern neighbors eat turkey on their Thanksgiving Day? Or might it be Canadian Bacon, eh?
Yup- turkey, stuffing, vegetables, cranberry, pumpkin pie all in excess.

You'd be hard pressed to find anything labelled 'Canadian Bacon' up here, that's pretty much an American thing. I'd never tasted it 'till I visited family in Maine.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (10-16-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 03:33 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Yup- turkey, stuffing, vegetables, cranberry, pumpkin pie all in excess.

You'd be hard pressed to find anything labelled 'Canadian Bacon' up here, that's pretty much an American thing. I'd never tasted it 'till I visited family in Maine.
Yep, the real Canadian stuff is called peamale (probably spelled wrong) it is the real deal. Down here in Texas they try to pass off small round bits of ham as Canadian bacon. How wrong they are.

Every time we get up to Canada we head to the Wexford for a great breakfast and extra bacon. Eh with a cold Blue on the side. great way to start the day

Jumpin' Jag Flash (10-16-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by MyBlackCat
Yep, the real Canadian stuff is called peamale (probably spelled wrong) it is the real deal. Down here in Texas they try to pass off small round bits of ham as Canadian bacon. How wrong they are.

Every time we get up to Canada we head to the Wexford for a great breakfast and extra bacon. Eh with a cold Blue on the side. great way to start the day
You wait till breakfast to start drinking beer?

You're right about the peameal- very common here and further west. It's the real deal.

(sorry for the hijack Jake- congrats again on the great post).

Old 10-15-2013, 07:01 PM
Received 4,448 Likes on 2,425 Posts

I had my car on the dyno this morning to see how the AFR's looked after finally replacing the collapsed rear muffler.

The power numbers don't mean much in the end as it's not the same dyno as the previous run. But the AFR's had improved (leaned) considerably compared to before, presumably because of replacing the dead muffler.

The tuner estimated "maybe 10HP" to be had from adjusting the AFR's, which is inline with what's be demonstrated here. It went as rich as 11.5:1, and he would have brought it to ~12:1, so not a big change, & not big gains to be had.

In my case ~$1500 to fit an interceptor to the MAF and run it on the dyno for a day for 10HP = not worth it.

The local Viezu agent quoted me $1000 for a flash tune for 25HP and 30Nm, but you can take those numbers with a grain of salt, as we've seen now.

Thanks for being a guinea pig on this one. Big thumbs up!

Last edited by Cambo; 10-15-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Yes, thanks for making the leap! It is good to know that there is a reasonable path to a custom tune out there.

Originally Posted by Cambo351
In my case ~$1500 to fit an interceptor to the MAF and run it on the dyno for a day for 10HP = not worth it.
I honestly don't understand why those interceptors cost so much, there really isn't all that much to them.

I've started playing with the 85mm one of these: Abaco Performance LLC

Only been running with it for about a week, so I can't speak for reliability, but being able to easily modify the MAF curve yourself is pretty nice.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Received 4,448 Likes on 2,425 Posts

The bulk of the cost for an interceptor is the install & the dyno time. The box itself is only like $300, but a full day on the dyno, if it's $100 an hour, you can see where the money goes.

Now if GTR42's tune can be dropped into anyones car for $800 and it delivers 10-15HP, its a much better proposition right?

I'm curious to know what else Eurocharged can do with our ECU's.

- Up the rev limit?
- Extend the air/fuel table for higher boost applications?
- Change the diff ratio?

What else is on the wish list?

Old 10-16-2013, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by GT42R
Indeed, Jerry confirmed this particular tune was still a bit on the conservative side, and he left some room for additional gains
The question is how far you want to be from the detonation border line. The sharper you go the higher the risk.

So the one tuner that gets the most with a tune, doesn't have to be the safest one, something to keep in mind besides that a tune is specific for a setup, and most tunes are based for stock cars!

If you want to have the sharpest tune, then the best way is to take out the knock control, use your own knock sensors, check on the dyno where the limit is that knocks happen, and then take back the tune to safer level. This is costly and requires also some tooling/knowledge from the tuner. Some tuners will not search for the limit and just take a modest setting.

jag79 (02-17-2014)
Old 10-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

The question is how far you want to be from the detonation border line. The sharper you go the higher the risk.
So, Avos, if I get your drift, after an ECU tune on an already highly factory-tuned Jag with 3rd party add-ons like filters, input elbows and pulleys, you should now protect your engine by using the highest octane gas available?

Old 10-16-2013, 11:21 AM

agreed, i rather leave some safety margin than attempt to tune it to very edge; would be pretty foolish to try and chase those minimal gains,
and as i mentioned earlier, on the third dyno pull we had detected ping around 5,000rpm, leading me to believe this tune is plenty aggressive as is,

i am considering installing this water.meth kit and sticking with shell 91 v-power, or making a permanent switch to sunoco94 which is available at certain stations around here...

Old 10-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by Robinb
So, Avos, if I get your drift, after an ECU tune on an already highly factory-tuned Jag with 3rd party add-ons like filters, input elbows and pulleys, you should now protect your engine by using the highest octane gas available?
Yes, at least that is what I would do and what I recommend. Although not big, it does give extra protection again. Over here I only us 98 ron fuel, think that is 93 aki or so for you in the US.

The following 2 users liked this post by avos:
jag79 (02-17-2014), Robinb (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Robinb
Yes, at least that is what I would do and what I recommend. Although not big, it does give extra protection again. Over here I only us 98 ron fuel, think that is 93 aki or so for you in the US.
Agreed. If boost/compression and/or ignition timing has been altered from stock bringing the engine closer to the onset of detonation, and the possibility of the knock sensors kicking in and spoiling the party is a factor, then yes higher octane gas might be of benefit.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:05 PM

Stock Tune:
First pull: 310.7hp / 335.6lb-ft
Second pull: 317.4hp / 338.9lb-ft
Third pull: 306.2hp / 326.1lb-ft

Eurocharged Tune:
First Pull: 324.5hp / 342.9lb-ft
Second Pull: 321.5hp / 342.0lb-ft
Third Pull: 315.4hp / 333.4lb-ft (let off early)
Fourth Pull: 322.6hp / 332.7lb-ft (ECU Reset)
After going through some datalogs of the dyno runs, I would like to clarify and expand on a few things,

On the third dyno run with the eurocharged tune, we netted 315.4hp / 333.4lb-ft,

This run the dyno operator slightly let off around 5,000rpm due to ping, and did not complete the pull at 100% throttle.

I wouldn't consider this a 'valid' run,

The fourth and following pull, we netted 322.6hp / 332.7lb-ft,

So, lets average the three stock tune runs: 311.4hp / 333.5lb-ft,

Now, lets average the three tuned runs (1, 2, exclude 3, and 4): 322.8hp / 339.2lb-ft

This results in an average gain of 11.4hp and 5.7lb-ft, figures which looks a bit better than the two best before/afters overlaid,

Looking at the each set of three dyno runs, suggests the eurocharged tune puts out more consistent power, a good thing... maybe...

Further more, based on the logs, the dyno operator was trying to avoid the transmission kicking down from 4th to 3rd gear, so he would be about 80-90% throttle into the 4,000+ rpm range,

This sort of effects the peak torque figures as it sort of depends on when the dyno operator chooses to hit it, so take it with a grain of salt, but i believe we could establish a better idea of overall torque gain if it was possible to dyno a little lower in the rpm band,

Some more food for thought fellas,

Last edited by GT42R; 10-17-2013 at 12:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GT42R:
Ingo (10-17-2013), jag79 (02-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GT42R
Stock Tune:
First pull: 310.7hp / 335.6lb-ft
Second pull: 317.4hp / 338.9lb-ft
Third pull: 306.2hp / 326.1lb-ft

Eurocharged Tune:
First Pull: 324.5hp / 342.9lb-ft
Second Pull: 321.5hp / 342.0lb-ft
Third Pull: 315.4hp / 333.4lb-ft (let off early)
Fourth Pull: 322.6hp / 332.7lb-ft (ECU Reset)
After going through some datalogs of the dyno runs, I would like to clarify and expand on a few things,

On the third dyno run with the eurocharged tune, we netted 315.4hp / 333.4lb-ft,

This run the dyno operator slightly let off around 5,000rpm due to ping, and did not complete the pull at 100% throttle.

I wouldn't consider this a 'valid' run,

The fourth and following pull, we netted 322.6hp / 332.7lb-ft,

So, lets average the three stock tune runs: 311.4hp / 333.5lb-ft,

Now, lets average the three tuned runs (1, 2, exclude 3, and 4): 322.8hp / 339.2lb-ft

This results in an average gain of 11.4hp and 5.7lb-ft, figures which looks a bit better than the two best before/afters overlaid,

Looking at the each set of three dyno runs, suggests the eurocharged tune puts out more consistent power, a good thing... maybe...

Further more, based on the logs, the dyno operator was trying to avoid the transmission kicking down from 4th to 3rd gear, so he would be about 80-90% throttle into the 4,000+ rpm range,

This sort of effects the peak torque figures as it sort of depends on when the dyno operator chooses to hit it, so take it with a grain of salt, but i believe we could establish a better idea of overall torque gain if it was possible to dyno a little lower in the rpm band,

Some more food for thought fellas,
Thats definitely worth the money in my opinion. 11.4 HP and 5.7 Torque, sounds like a nice increase all the while avoiding extreme modifications.

Quick Reply: Tested: New Tuning Option for STR!