S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission delay into Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 06:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission delay into Drive

I have a 2001 S-Type 4.0 with a auto transmission problem that results in a 3-5 second delay between selecting "drive" and the transmission engaging. There is also an occasional squelching type noise when the engine's running and the transmission is in neutral (?).

This problem only occurs with selecting "drive", but it always happens.

I was told that it may be a problem with the predictive shifting feature of the transmission, but after disconnecting / reconnecting the battery and repeatedly shifting from neutral to drive 50 or so times as advised it made no difference.

So I had the non-serviceable transmission professionally serviced including a thorough flushing at 120,000 kM (126Ks presently), but the problem persists.

The auto transmission operates perfectly in every other respect, so I'm wondering if I should just leave it be as the car's otherwise perfect (tensioners replaced in 2002) and as I only use it occasionally.

Thanks in advance

Old 07-17-2016, 08:35 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Whale
I have a 2001 S-Type 4.0 with a auto transmission problem that results in a 3-5 second delay between selecting "drive" and the transmission engaging. There is also an occasional squelching type noise when the engine's running and the transmission is in neutral (?).

I was told that it may be a problem with the predictive shifting feature of the transmission, but after disconnecting / reconnecting the battery and repeatedly shifting from neutral to drive 50 or so times as advised it made no difference.

So I had the non-serviceable transmission professionally serviced including a thorough flushing at 120,000 kM (126Ks presently), but the problem persists.

The auto transmission operates perfectly in every other respect, so I'm wondering if I should just leave it be as the car's otherwise perfect (tensioners replaced in 2002) and as I only use it occasionally.

Thanks in advance
I would suggest getting the pan dropped, change the filter and refill with compatible trans fluid. I'm not a believer of trans flushing. There's a reason why the filter is there. It eventually will clog up and fluid flushes exacerbates that process.

You will need to redo the adapting protocols (once you confirm the fluid is at the right level) and the trans temp is at least 160 degrees F I believe.

Switch from (both ways) P to R, P to D, P to N, D to R with a 10 second delay after each engagement.

So, for example: P to D, wait 10 seconds then D to P and wait another 10 seconds then do that 10 more times then move to P to R, and on and on.

And these transmissions have to be serviced, including the filter.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-19-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 08:47 PM

Thanks abonano - to clarify..... in addition to flushing, the full service that I referred to did include dropping the pan, replacing the filter, and refilling to the correct level with the specified fluid.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Thanks in advance
It's NOT "non-serviceable" and what "predictive" feature? It's a simple trans.

Sounds like they serviced it badly.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:30 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

The slow to engage D is a fairly common problem with the 5R55N transmission.

There's different fixes depending on how bad & worn out the transmission is.

Sometimes it can be improved by adjusting the shifter cable. Sometimes the cable is stretched and you have to replace it. Sometimes the metal block that the cable connects too is worn/loose (I have a brand new one in my desk drawer if you need one, don't buy one, take mine).

Or sometimes it's an internal problem with the transmission itself...

Or maybe one of the springs in the valve body. I have a couple of sets of springs in my stash too if you need them. I'm just around the corner from Winston Hills Mall...

Old 07-18-2016, 05:20 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Both mine do that.

They have been serviced, by me, many, many times, coz the fluid was "grubby" when purchased. That was a filter change at day1, then simply drop and refills since then, numbering about 6 now.

I use Penrite Full Synthetic Multi Vehicle Trans Fluid, and I have noticed the total trans operation is now smooth and slick.

Both cars were at about 100K kms when we got them.

Back out the driveway, slide it to D and wait a few seconds, then GO.

I have tried all and sundry as in the TSB's etc re "setting" the trans, maybe it did some difference, dunno.

Then I did a rather bizzare thing, I read the owners handbook, and yes I know I should return to drinking, coz that is really a bizzare thing to do, even for me.

In there I read in the driving section, really????, that when placing the shift lever into D there may be a few seconds delay before transmission take up is felt, OR something like that.

Sooooooo, now it is what it is, and I live with it.

Both cars are sitting at around 134000kms now, and the transmissions are as good as I expect they will ever be.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-19-2016), Whale (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 08:41 PM

Jag V8......... As I understand it, it's non-serviceable to the extent that like most Fords of its era the auto transmission is sealed and servicing is not specified (although I had it done anyway as everything should be), and via the vehicle's computer it's supposed to "learn" the operator's driving style (e.g. a heavy right foot) and predict the transmission's shift points accordingly.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:46 PM

Thanks Cambo - I sent you a PM re your offer.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
.....in there I read in the driving section, really????, that when placing the shift lever into D there may be a few seconds delay before transmission take up is felt, OR something like that.
I get that, but the delay in mine is typically 5 secs plus that occasionally "squishing" noise in neutral, although thanks to Cambo I'll be picking up parts for a possible fix, and in the meantime I'll continue to live with the issue as it's not a big problem especially as everything else with my Jag is AOK.

Last edited by Cambo; 07-19-2016 at 12:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

Jag V8......... As I understand it, it's non-serviceable to the extent that like most Fords of its era the auto transmission is sealed and servicing is not specified (although I had it done anyway as everything should be), and via the vehicle's computer it's supposed to "learn" the operator's driving style (e.g. a heavy right foot) and predict the transmission's shift points accordingly.
It's not sealed against servicing. Jaguar state on their tech (dealer) site that it should be serviced (oil change etc). It's just a myth that they say otherwise, at least for the last 6+ years (which was when I read it on their site).

Anyway - good to hear you've changed the oil and if it was filled enough (easily not done) then you're down to some of the other ideas posted.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:30 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

The 5R55N was used in the Ford Falcon down here too (not a lot of them, but some) so there is a bit of local know-how if anything major needs doing. Doesn't make it any cheaper though!

Old 07-19-2016, 02:33 AM
Veteran Member

Sonnax have various parts, when needed, plus guides.