S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

unseen waterleak 1999 3ltr s type

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 08:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default unseen waterleak 1999 3ltr s type

hi folks my name is Joe and ive just bought a 1999 3ltr v6 Stype. it had been standing for approx 5 yrs and under trees at that, it was a mess. however it didnt cost much and ive started getting it ship shape. it has a few faults some of which ive already sorted out. my main concern at the moment is the waterleak i have. at first it was the three way/thermostat housing which i replaced, but on refilling the system i still have a leak up around both sides of the cylinder heads at the rear. water leaks from what i think is the rear corner of camshaft covers and on the side ive checked after removing plastic plug/coil cover water seems to be leaking into the v shape where plugs sit.someone said to me its like a seal has burst, but common to both sides. the engine runs sweet as a nut and no water in the oil or vice versa. does anyone have any suggestions? i do have have a workshop cd sold as the official workshop manual,
but it shows nothing to me as possible fault.
i also have a second fault which im told is a more common fault in the fact that the odometer has stopped lighting up tried doing what was shown on CD to remove the fascia but one screw seems to be holding it, stopping it from releasing even tho the screw is slack. its the big one at glovebox end and seems to be a slot on a metal plate just near the glovebox. tried everything to remove but nothing seems to work. if possible if someone knows why it wont slide off this metal plate,please advise. many thanks in advance Joe

Old 03-02-2017, 09:11 PM
Received 6,257 Likes on 5,457 Posts

Welcome to the forum Joe, don't forget to post an intro in the new members section New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum I know Coaltown well, had my first car crash there!
Your leak sounds like a strange one, hopefully someone with an early S will have an idea.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:28 PM
Received 10,340 Likes on 6,841 Posts

Welcome also.

There is a coolant bleed hose that runs up from the infamous plastic spigot in the Top radiator hose. It travels along the LH side, basically level with the Inlet manifold securing bolts, then loops around the rear of the engine, to the header tank in the RH rear of the engine bay.

This is for RHD version, the LHD is different.

Not known to leak itself, but that plastic spigot snaps off without any human involvement.

The header tanks do leak, age related.

The following users liked this post:
jlistersnr (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 09:54 PM

hi mate i'll have a look at that which i think means having to remove surround along front of windscreen in order to get good look down back of cylinder heads. many thanks Joe

Grant Francis (03-02-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 08:20 AM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

Go to the stickies and get yourself a copy of the JTIS. It will help you a lot

Old 03-03-2017, 09:43 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, the header tanks leak like sieves. If yours does soak the bulkhead bolts in penetrating oil over night and edge backwards and forwards little by little unless you wish to shear them. Then enlist a child with very small hands in order to release and replace the hoses!! I still have the scars form doing our header tank!!

Mike.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:26 PM

thanks guys but i dont think any of your ideas as to what might be the fault seem to follow as to my fault.guess i'm gonna have to bite the bullet and remove the camshaft cover on the passenger side. if i find the fault on that side, think ill have the beastie tamed. as i stated in my original post, no water in the oil-----no oil in the water. my response to that and the way the engine runs point me to think that cylinder head gaskets etc are okay. i have a suspicion that there is a gasket leaking on each camshaft cover as both camshaft covers flood with water hence why water leaks at the same place on each comshaft cover. the position of the worst of the leak is the rearmost and lowest edge of the bolt in that position holding the cover on. only wish i could show you a picture, but the water comes out of the rearmost bolt and spews onto the manifold heat shield. i did at one stage almost stop the leak with a Glynns product to stop leaks the added anti-freeze to the cooling system and it started leaking again. So i guess its strip time for my Jaguar

Grant Francis (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 02:01 AM
Received 10,340 Likes on 6,841 Posts

OK.

Went looking at JEPC, and that shows 6 core plugs on the V6 cylinder head, so 3 each side, BUT, the drawing is not showing the rear of the head.

I tried to "copy/paste" that drawing, wont work.

The part # is XR85317 qty = 6. The size is given as 31.9mm.