S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Useless Features

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Another one...the snowflake warning. I know it's cold out and I don't need to be reminded by the car. Besides the HVAC system displays the outside temperature.

Mike

Old 12-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

Is there a chime as well? I had that plus snowflakes (orange, then red) on a previous car and found them very helpful on those days when some places are wet but others are icy.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

As far as I know it's a visual warning only. It comes on when the outside temperature is 40F or below. If there was an audio chime, then it would be annoying.

Mike

Old 12-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife finds the little snowflake to be silly like Carelm. Also, the HomeLink buttons do not work with my GDO. Mine is one of the code-switching systems so it doesn't work.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by yfx4
My wife finds the little snowflake to be silly like Carelm. Also, the HomeLink buttons do not work with my GDO. Mine is one of the code-switching systems so it doesn't work.
Is your opener a "rolling code" opener? The homelink works with mine, just needed more programming...I love using it over the separate remote.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Is your opener a "rolling code" opener? The homelink works with mine, just needed more programming...I love using it over the separate remote.
Ditto here. It took me a little longer than it should have if I'd followed the directions to the T, but now that I've done it, it's maybe a 5 minute ordeal or less. =o)

Old 12-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
Another one...the snowflake warning. I know it's cold out and I don't need to be reminded by the car. Besides the HVAC system displays the outside temperature.

Mike

Honestly, that could be the MOST useless feature. #1 I dont need a reminder that I am freezing my as* off, I think I get it, there could be ice #2 the temp is clearly shown in the climate control display as carelm mentioned.

When I first got the vehicle, when that came on I initialy thought that something was wrong.....after looking it up in the manual I was both relieved, and dumbfounded at why such a warning light would constantly stay on.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by yfx4
Also, the HomeLink buttons do not work with my GDO. Mine is one of the code-switching systems so it doesn't work.
There's any easy fix for that. Don't try to program the car for the GDO, program the GDO for the car. All GDOs have a 'learn' function in the reciever,AFAIK. Put it in learn mode then activate one of the buttons in the car. Bingo.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:09 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27
Honestly, that could be the MOST useless feature. #1 I dont need a reminder that I am freezing my as* off, I think I get it, there could be ice #2 the temp is clearly shown in the climate control display as carelm mentioned.

When I first got the vehicle, when that came on I initialy thought that something was wrong.....after looking it up in the manual I was both relieved, and dumbfounded at why such a warning light would constantly stay on.
The snowflake annoyed me a little at first, but now that's it's on every damn time I get in the car, I've kinda gotten used to it.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I live in Quebec. If the snowflake weren't on, I would be in California.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
There's any easy fix for that. Don't try to program the car for the GDO, program the GDO for the car. All GDOs have a 'learn' function in the reciever,AFAIK. Put it in learn mode then activate one of the buttons in the car. Bingo.
TY for the info. I'll try it this weekend. I used the remote like I read in the directions. I'll try it like the GDO system wants.

Is anyone a 'fan' of the automatic wipers???? They seem VERY sensitive so are either FAST or intermittent.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
That is what the manual states as well. With homelink though you have to teach it the frequency first. That is step one and is done with a working remote. In the manual, part two is to put the opener in learn mode and pair it with homelink. This gives homelink the code sequence. The learn step needs to be performed three times for the homelink to learn the security code sequence. If you just follow the owners manual instructions to the letter it should work fine the first time.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:49 AM

WHAT?!?!??!?!?!
Follow instructions????????

Old 12-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
That is what the manual states as well. With homelink though you have to teach it the frequency first. That is step one and is done with a working remote. In the manual, part two is to put the opener in learn mode and pair it with homelink. This gives homelink the code sequence. The learn step needs to be performed three times for the homelink to learn the security code sequence. If you just follow the owners manual instructions to the letter it should work fine the first time.
I followed the Jag instructions to a 'T' multiple times and had no luck. Did it the way my GDO instructions stated on how to recognize a new remote, worked instantly.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,210 Posts

worthless IMO, the little snow flake that illuminates when its cold outside. Believe me I know that it is cold out when we have our overcoats with us. I do not like dashboard warning lights lite up! YES it is freakin' cold here!!!!

Incase no one has seen this one.

Attached Thumbnails Useless Features-wrapitup.jpg  
Old 12-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
worthless IMO, the little snow flake that illuminates when its cold outside. Believe me I know that it is cold out when we have our overcoats with us. I do not like dashboard warning lights lite up! YES it is freakin' cold here!!!!

Incase no one has seen this one.
I agree. We get to see the snowflake on rare occasions here in Texas,still don't need to be told its cold.
I'm surprised that they didn't put a silly sun on there to let us know when its hot!!! maybe a chime to tell us to put on sunscreen..lol

Old 01-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like to add that I use the adaptive auto seating and steering option when entering or leaving the car, and the other options mentioned, ie auto headlights etc, but the useless option for me is the orange mood light in the overhead console, which is supposed to shine on the auto gear assemble, and refelct from the wood and chrome. Totally useless and you cant turn it off.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

Remove the bulb?

Old 01-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Wow I did not even notice that small orange light until you said something!! Is that really what it's for??

Old 01-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Received 6,274 Likes on 5,470 Posts

It is.
You should feel warm and fuzzy in the glow.

Quick Reply: Useless Features