S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What annoys you most about your S-Type??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:39 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
So right back to BJ's not even two hours later. What a waste of gas and time....
Ummmm... I wouldn't buy BJ's gas, Jon. I know the price advantage is attractive, but they are notorious for buying high ethanol fuel. After the cat issue and some looking around, I decided to cut out the BJ's fuel all together. That was the only gas my car had since I bought it. Since then, my S Type average MPG has gone up by 3mpg (15%) and the Dodge minivan has jumped from 16 to over 19 around town. We have been using the same grades.. Regular for the van and Premium for the Jag and have buying from a local Shell station (the only ones without an Ethanol sticker)....Just beware that I still think it was the high ethanol count that fouled up the cat in my car, and really think the other isn't far behind...

Just my observations...

Old 01-30-2011, 06:42 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
That damn talking gas gauge!! Sure seems like it is happening more and more lately. Brooke wanted to go to school in the "Jag" today, I get in and low and behold empty again!! Took the truck instead, came home and the wifey......"My car is out of gas..would you mind????????"
You fill up for the wife too?? I just thought the trip for gas in the CTS was an excuse to go for a ride... I think you really have an affliction, Rick, maybe a deep desire to be a gas station attendant????

Old 01-30-2011, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
You fill up for the wife too?? I just thought the trip for gas in the CTS was an excuse to go for a ride... I think you really have an affliction, Rick, maybe a deep desire to be a gas station attendant????

CTSs are for grandpas, ESV baby, which I run Shell Premium exculsively in same with Joyces Jag, fyi the eskie has a 34 gallon gas tank, need 2 credit cards to fill that sucker.

Ha Jeff!! Been there done that, as a teenager I worked at the Full Service Mobil in Strongsville, man I loved that job!

Last edited by joycesjag; 01-30-2011 at 06:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

We've bought most of our gas at the local BJ's for nearly a decade for seven or eight different vehicles. The only catalytic converter issue I've had is with my 1999 Ram. Its factory cat was replaced in 2003, and that replacement cat had to be replaced again in 2008. Both covered 100% by Chrysler under the emissions warranty. The Ram cats are a known weak link, admitted to me by the service manager. The fact that my Ram only does about 4,000 miles a year doesn't help - it could use some additional highway mileage but is unlikely to get it. Perhaps your belief that your BJ's gas is high-ethanol is a regional thing. Our vehicles seem to do just fine on our Bj's gas here....

But I will look into the subject. Don't know what they'll tell me, but I'll call BJ's corporate headquarters in Massachussetts to discuss....

Old 01-30-2011, 08:47 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
CTSs are for grandpas
You mean grandma's don't you....I think you missed the joke....

Let me quote ya.. "here, you drive"
"But Rick, that's your Mom's car"
"Don't worry"
"You sure??"

"Hey, this one doesn't have heated seats"
LOL!

Old 01-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Funny, BJ's doesn't even have gas in NJ. I think I saw this once in PA and was like HUH?

Wawa (local PA Based convenience store - basically a higher end 7-11) has a couple new stores with gas pumps in front.

I use Mobil or Shell Premium in my car.

I miss Amoco, ever since the BP takeover has anyone else noticed they have quietely rid of ultra 94? So we're stuck with the same 93 octane premium no matter where (sorry west coast guys).

Take care,

George

Old 01-31-2011, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I've never seen a BJ's gas station in W. PA...or anywhere. No Wawa either, although I've been to those before on trips to Philly.

We have some local chains that command the market. Grocer Giant Eagle has gas stations with a perks program. Every $50 you spend at the grocery store or convenience store, you get $.10 off a gallon of gas. My wife saves these up and often we can get gas for less than a dollar a gallon. Not bad when you have two SUV's for winter duty that suck it up.

Sheetz is the other dominant retailer.

I use Exxon mostly because it's on my way to work. I wish we still had a Kwik Fill - they are a US based supplier using US produced fuel.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

When I turn off the HVAC on nice days I can no longer see what the outside temperature is.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

You mean grandma's don't you....I think you missed the joke....

Let me quote ya.. "here, you drive"
"But Rick, that's your Mom's car"
"Don't worry"
"You sure??"

"Hey, this one doesn't have heated seats"
LOL!

Jeff, I did miss that one and this one..... See what Cleveland does to me! You should have "cleaned out the carbon" in grandmas CTS when you had a chance. I forgot about the "this thing doesn't have seats"!

Old 02-04-2011, 05:47 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by androulakis
Funny, BJ's doesn't even have gas in NJ. I think I saw this once in PA and was like HUH?

Wawa (local PA Based convenience store - basically a higher end 7-11) has a couple new stores with gas pumps in front.

I use Mobil or Shell Premium in my car.

I miss Amoco, ever since the BP takeover has anyone else noticed they have quietely rid of ultra 94? So we're stuck with the same 93 octane premium no matter where (sorry west coast guys).

Take care,

George
The sort answer... It's the "no self service" laws in Jersey that do that..
BJ's is a totally selve service system...

Yea, I did notice that the convienence stores were starting to "bite the bullet" and get attendants to compete with gas stations...

Old 02-12-2011, 03:58 PM

Not being able to disable the auto-lock feature! I can turn off the stability control, but I cannot be trusted to disable the locks? WTF?

Old 02-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
Not being able to disable the auto-lock feature! I can turn off the stability control, but I cannot be trusted to disable the locks? WTF?
A dealer can program that out in IDS...

Just like they can program one tap to unlock the whole car, or first tap unlocks the driver door, second the rest...

Take care,

George

Old 02-12-2011, 06:27 PM

Just like they can program one tap to unlock the whole car, or first tap unlocks the driver door, second the rest...

Take care,

George

Yeah, but the nearest dealer is 100+ miles away and the assoicated cost. I have never owned a vehicle that required a visit to the dealer to turn off the auto-locking feature. It's absurd.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
Yeah, but the nearest dealer is 100+ miles away and the assoicated cost. I have never owned a vehicle that required a visit to the dealer to turn off the auto-locking feature. It's absurd.
No one ever said they were going to make it easy for you LOL...

You know, I have 4 Jaguar dealers within a 1/2 hour drive, yet I have never been inside one in my life.

Take care,

George

Old 02-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Take care,

George

Thats actually in the FOB, I changed my programing from double tap to global unlock to single tap global unlock.

hit lock then hold lock until you get a abeep then unlock and hold unlock till you get 2 beeps if I remember correctly. I found that tidbit in JTIS.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

The thing that maybe annoys me most........... that Jaguar (the company) clearly do not police their dealers (franchises) which in turn can lead to MAJOR appalling service and HUGE overcharging.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

I have to agree, you don't have to read the forums long to see that there are vast inconsisntencies between various dealers, even down to what warranty items are covered.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by norri
I have to agree, you don't have to read the forums long to see that there are vast inconsisntencies between various dealers, even down to what warranty items are covered.
Yup... Me Too. I am appalled at some of the way people are treated at some dealers... That's also why I mention my local dealer as much as I can. They do treat people well... Jaguar Cleveland...

Old 02-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Yup... Me Too. I am appalled at some of the way people are treated at some dealers... That's also why I mention my local dealer as much as I can. They do treat people well... Jaguar Cleveland...
Two things seem to come into play from what I've seen. How isolated the dealer is (distance wise) from other dealers, and how affluent an area he is in.

I live 15 mins from the NJ/PA border. I have 4 dealers within a 1/2 hour drive, 6 within 45 mins. The PA dealers are notoriously cheaper than the NJ dealers.

The one NJ dealer, who also does Mercedes, Smart, Lexus, Bentley, RR, Porsche and a couple others and has a showroom that the designers of the Taj Mahal would be jealous of is the most ridiculously priced.

But I bet his service dept sees 95% warranty work, either through the new car warranty, or though select edition. They seem like they could care less about someone who hasn't bought the car from them, OR has a car under warranty.

Take care,

George

Old 02-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
The satnav shows direction, won't that do?

Or, fit the one that other S-Types have - cmon, someone fess up about it!
I dont have satnav on my car. And I didn't know other S-Types had a compass I could fit to mine, thanks! Can anyone offer a part number?

Originally Posted by TenPercenter
The driver's sun visor doesn't extend, so only covers half my side window when the sun is on my left.
Does anyone know of a replacement part (aftermarket or OEM) for sun visors that extend?

Quick Reply: What annoys you most about your S-Type??