S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

white/grey smoke coming from d/s rear block

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white/grey smoke coming from d/s rear block

Hello I have 2000 s type 4.0 with 160k on it.
Upon starting my jag a white grey smoke comes out of the rear d/s hood then dissipates after being warmed up ,really bad after not running it for a few days.I have searched for threads but am still lost .with the hood open I can't tell exactly where it is coming from.It barely drops a drop of oil when sitting.Any help with this would be really helpful I just got out of the military and sort of short on cash to just take it some where and I'm in northern Colorado and the closest dealer is 6 hours away.please help thank you again for your help
Dj

Old 12-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Hi, sounds like a oil leak coming from the cam cover dripping onto the exhaust manifold - the oil burns upon start up and dissipates causing smoke - the driver's side cam cover is notorious for leaking at the rear lower end of the cam cover as that is a point where oil would pool when the engine is off before draining back into the oil pan.

The 4.0 is notorious for oil leaks from the cam covers - especially at your mileage - the rubber gasket material wears... the oil will drip onto the manifold making you think no oil is leaking cause it doesn't make it to the ground.

Take your hand and run it down the lower end of the cam cover (cool engine) and you will more than likely get a film of oil on your hand. Check passenger side lower cam cover as well - same deal if you find any oil.

You can try and tighten the cam cover bolts (to ensure they are at spec - DONT overtighten) for the short term - but a new cam cover gasket is in order.

My trick is I use RTV on the lower end of the cam cover (you have to also use RTV at the junctions between the head and timing chain cover as pointed out in JTIS)

I would also change all associated gaskets (Spark well, VVT gasket and all cam cover bolt gaskets as well while your in there.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays and based on your screen name - Thanks for your service to our Country!

Old 12-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Vet, Abonano couldn't have done a better job spelling out the cause and remedy. You'll do just fine repairing this relatively mild repair. Thank you for serving our country and merry X-Mas.

The following users liked this post:
cbharley10 (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Could you tell if it has a sweet smell to it? If it is coming from under the hood I would be checking the hoses and hose connections. The car has a lot of hoses for cooling and the interior heating system so try not to overlook the obvious. Welcome Home!

Old 12-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Received 2,600 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Be certain any tightening of bolts is done with the engine cold as the threads for some of the fasteners will be damaged or stripped.

If you intend to work on the vehicle yourself, first obtain the JTIS manual as was mentioned above so you have the torque specifications for all the fasteners and the correct tightening sequence for the cam/valve cover so it does not get distorted and cause further gasket failures.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

If you do not have JTIS use this link and go to page 96 it has the torque values you need.
Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...sb_09_2003.pdf

Old 12-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guy's for your help. I really appreciate your help. I will try and do what you guy's suggest.thanks for the advice I will post a update when completed. In addition thank you for the link for the manual.

Dj

Old 12-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by iraq/afgan-vet
Thank you guy's for your help. I really appreciate your help. I will try and do what you guy's suggest.thanks for the advice I will post a update when completed. In addition thank you for the link for the manual.

Dj
Dj you have very sound advice above.

In addition to your posts with thanks, it is also nice to push the little "Thanks" button for those who provided you with some great information.

Thank you for serving our country, Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year!

Old 12-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Vet, Abonano couldn't have done a better job spelling out the cause and remedy. You'll do just fine repairing this relatively mild repair. Thank you for serving our country and merry X-Mas.
+1 on that! I have been having the same issue on my 4.2 STR. Valve / Cam covers definitely in order. Its an easy job you could do yourself in the garage takes roughly 3 hours. I just took mine into my local indy mechanic to have it done as I am getting lazy in my old age... ;-)

You can get the complete valve cover kit on eBay for about $100. Just make sure you order teh kit with both left and right gaskets as well as 4 new grommets and 8 plug well seals...

I also second bfsgross' comments - Thank you very much for your service and defense of our freedoms! Merry Christmas and Happy Wrenching!