Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Arm Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:38 AM
mep
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wiper Arm Removal

Aside from removing the 13mm nut, is there a special puller or technique to removing the wiper arms?

Old 03-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

You should put a towel or similar on the edge of the bonnet/hood for safety, I believe there is a special tool available, people have said also they have used a ball joint splitter and vigourous shaking is also popular. Good luck.

Incidentally it isn't a 13mm nut if it takes a 13mm wrench it will be an 8mm nut.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Not to rain on anyones parade, its a 13 mm nut (I am holding 2 of them in my grimmy little hand as I type) one handed of course!
My procedure was to raise bonnet/hood, CAREFULLY pry the rubber hose off, loosen nut to just above stud, grasp bottom of arm and using a small ballpean hammer have a go or two on the nut. Arm will pop like popcorn!

The following users liked this post:
ClaytonGardens (03-31-2017)
Old 03-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

Oh why I was holding my nuts.... I had to remove the cross arm to raise the motor up enough to remove the oil pan to change gasket! FYI

Old 03-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have pulled mine off from just wiggling it out. It just takes a little time to get loose.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:58 PM

I turned mine up clockwise till they were at 12o'clock then they pulled right off with no problem

Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 AM

Well I just got back home on Saturday, but didn't check my nuts 'til this morning, and mine are 8mm (13mm wrench) are my nuts smaller than normal?

Old 04-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

hmmmm BIG nuts, small nuts I try not to manhandle my nuts. Righty tighty-Lefty loosey. So norri are you saying a 13mm wrench fits your 8 mm small nuts?

Old 04-15-2009, 01:44 PM

I am indeed, I had to take the arms off last week to replace the pollen filter, and the nuts are 8mm for sure.

I used two open end wrenches to get the arms off one to slip under the arm and around the shaft and another on top to lever the arm off.

The first one just popped off and the second one needed a tap on the end of the spindle to release it.

No nuts were abused in the process.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:22 AM

Please advise how to remove the wiper arms from my S-Type Jaguar, I need to get the wiper motor off, also how do I remove the weather protection to get at the wiper motor

Old 06-05-2014, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Arm is held by a nut hidden under a plastic top that pops off. If arm is stuck on use a puller. Workshop manual - JTIS - free download and has this and all you ask plus may well be in stickies.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:38 AM
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by goldingayclift
Please advise how to remove the wiper arms from my S-Type Jaguar, I need to get the wiper motor off, also how do I remove the weather protection to get at the wiper motor
I used Rick's method (see post #3) with immediate success.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Didn't work for me.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

The unusual thing about the S Type wipers (at least I have never seen it this way on any other car) is the wiper arm has a smooth inside bore where it attaches to the wiper shaft. This slides over the splined shaft that moves the wiper back and forth.

So when you tighten the 13mm nut down you are forcing this spline pattern into the raw smooth Aluminum hole in the wiper arm. This really makes the wiper arm stick on the shaft and can be a SOB to remove.

I never would have found this out except for a weird thing that happened when we had some local flooding. I was driving in the left lane of a 4 lane road as the right lane was under water. A jackass in a big 4 wheel drive truck came blowing up in the flooded right lane. My car was completely covered in the wall of water he was throwing off. Well with the automatic wipers it thought I was in a downpour from Hell!! Of course the wipers came on at full speed but there was just too much water and the splined shaft tore the guts out of the wiper arm hole!! The passenger side wiper just fell to the cowl while the driver’s side kept merrily wiping away!

I ordered a new wiper arm for Jaguar (the price was very reasonable, about $25-$30). When I got it I noticed the internal bore was smooth. Most wiper arms have matching splines and sometime a keyway for alignment. I called the Jaguar dealer and of course they no clue but did check all their stock of wiper arms. Sure enough all of them right and left side were smooth inside.

So when I installed the new wiper arm I had the option of putting the arm on in any position I wanted to. It all went just fine but was much different than I expected! I later removed the arm so I could remove the strut tower brace and it had the splines cut into it just like any wiper arm I have ever seen.

If your wiper arm is stuck and if they have never been off they will be stuck! I use the tool below. No damage to the car or wiper arm.

Very cheap at about $5. There may be a better removal tool out there that I don't know about too.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rn...FWYV7AodYmsAmw

Attached Thumbnails Wiper Arm Removal-wiper-arm.png  
Old 07-02-2019, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
The unusual thing about the S Type wipers (at least I have never seen it this way on any other car) is the wiper arm has a smooth inside bore where it attaches to the wiper shaft. This slides over the splined shaft that moves the wiper back and forth.

So when you tighten the 13mm nut down you are forcing this spline pattern into the raw smooth Aluminum hole in the wiper arm. This really makes the wiper arm stick on the shaft and can be a SOB to remove.

I never would have found this out except for a weird thing that happened when we had some local flooding. I was driving in the left lane of a 4 lane road as the right lane was under water. A jackass in a big 4 wheel drive truck came blowing up in the flooded right lane. My car was completely covered in the wall of water he was throwing off. Well with the automatic wipers it thought I was in a downpour from Hell!! Of course the wipers came on at full speed but there was just too much water and the splined shaft tore the guts out of the wiper arm hole!! The passenger side wiper just fell to the cowl while the driver’s side kept merrily wiping away!

I ordered a new wiper arm for Jaguar (the price was very reasonable, about $25-$30). When I got it I noticed the internal bore was smooth. Most wiper arms have matching splines and sometime a keyway for alignment. I called the Jaguar dealer and of course they no clue but did check all their stock of wiper arms. Sure enough all of them right and left side were smooth inside.

So when I installed the new wiper arm I had the option of putting the arm on in any position I wanted to. It all went just fine but was much different than I expected! I later removed the arm so I could remove the strut tower brace and it had the splines cut into it just like any wiper arm I have ever seen.

If your wiper arm is stuck and if they have never been off they will be stuck! I use the tool below. No damage to the car or wiper arm.

Very cheap at about $5. There may be a better removal tool out there that I don't know about too.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rn...FWYV7AodYmsAmw
Originally Posted by joycesjag
Not to rain on anyones parade, its a 13 mm nut (I am holding 2 of them in my grimmy little hand as I type) one handed of course!
My procedure was to raise bonnet/hood, CAREFULLY pry the rubber hose off, loosen nut to just above stud, grasp bottom of arm and using a small ballpean hammer have a go or two on the nut. Arm will pop like popcorn!
Well none of these approaches are working on my car. I suspect that due to what Tbird6 describes as form in place splines that the wiper arms after 14 years here in the NE are seized in place. I wiggled a lot after putting Kroil penetrant on for about 1/2 hour. But all I get is a disturbing movement of the entire assembly. I do hope that my wiper assembly won't be noisy and sloppy now ...

I'm going to let it site a bit more. I don't see how a puller will work on these oddly formed arms as it's a smooth taper on the back side and doesn't really seem like a puller would be able to get behind anything?

Can't see how that tool would work either?

Last edited by Staatsof; 07-02-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Yes that tool looks odd until you get it in your hands. The small tang is placed under the bottom edge of the wiper arm hub. The long handle lays back on top of the wiper arm.
Now you have a handle that is pulling up from the bottom of the wiper hub. Exactly where you can't pull using just your hands.
Then rocking back and forth will help wiggle it off.

But mine were tightly seized and I had to work on the drivers side to get it loose.
Sorry I use to post under Tbird6 too. I know confusing.

Old 07-04-2019, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Yes that tool looks odd until you get it in your hands. The small tang is placed under the bottom edge of the wiper arm hub. The long handle lays back on top of the wiper arm.
Now you have a handle that is pulling up from the bottom of the wiper hub. Exactly where you can't pull using just your hands.
Then rocking back and forth will help wiggle it off.

But mine were tightly seized and I had to work on the drivers side to get it loose.
Sorry I use to post under Tbird6 too. I know confusing.

Thanks. It's been sitting for a couple of days now. I'm currently putting up a sunshade over the car so I can work on it. It's damn hot here in the sun. So I'll try that if my penetrant doesn't work out.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:06 AM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Default using a bearing puller

Hi Staatsof
If you have a bearing puller that allows for using only 2 of the 3 arms. Then you can give this method a go. You tighten the nut back on the wiper stud with enough thread to make a dish for the centre arm of the puller to fit on the stud (this will keep it from coming off when tightening it down) then very carefully manipulate the puller so it will grab both sides under the wiper and tighten the puller (as close to) evenly as possible. This is not a perfect solution but I found this worked. It did not take much pressure to lift it and did not damage the wiper. So don't use too much force when tightening the puller down.

Good luck
Paul

Old 07-05-2019, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul792
Hi Staatsof
If you have a bearing puller that allows for using only 2 of the 3 arms. Then you can give this method a go. You tighten the nut back on the wiper stud with enough thread to make a dish for the centre arm of the puller to fit on the stud (this will keep it from coming off when tightening it down) then very carefully manipulate the puller so it will grab both sides under the wiper and tighten the puller (as close to) evenly as possible. This is not a perfect solution but I found this worked. It did not take much pressure to lift it and did not damage the wiper. So don't use too much force when tightening the puller down.

Good luck
Paul
I have all of those tools but don't see how they can work on this style of arm. There is no spot to grip the back of the arm as it smoothly tapers to barely larger than the shaft it slips over.
Jaguar design brilliance once again.

I'm going to give the lever tool a shot. I guess I can always buy new wiper arms but I'd rather not.

Update: One came off with a 2 ft piece of 1x2 levered against a small block of wood on the windshield. That was the driver's side the easiest to reach. It was the end of the day so I'll try again on the other one tomorrow.

Last edited by Staatsof; 07-06-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I have all of those tools but don't see how they can work on this style of arm. There is no spot to grip the back of the arm as it smoothly tapers to barely larger than the shaft it slips over.
Jaguar design brilliance once again.

I'm going to give the lever tool a shot. I guess I can always buy new wiper arms but I'd rather not.

Update: One came off with a 2 ft piece of 1x2 levered against a small block of wood on the windshield. That was the driver's side the easiest to reach. It was the end of the day so I'll try again on the other one tomorrow.
Further update:

But that didn't work on the other side so today I wrapped electrical tape around the tips of my puller and utilized the nut to make sure the puller's shaft didn't wander off of the wiper shaft. It did the first time.

This worked so hooray.

Quick Reply: Wiper Arm Removal