F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 09:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Should I buy?

Never owned a Jag before. Had one old Corvette and currently drive Honda S2000. Seriously looking at the 2018 F-Type Sport 400 convertible. Before I drop ~$100K on the car, though I might ask for some thoughts from current owners. What say ye?

Old 12-10-2017, 10:18 PM
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

What do you want to know? Definitely a lot of fun. Up to you if it is worth the cost. I am extremely happy with mine and will either buy it or get a new one at lease end next sept.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:22 PM
SVR
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Do it.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:32 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

On my third love it

Old 12-11-2017, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I think came to the wrong forum with this question if you want to get a lot of "no" responses.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:03 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I came from a '05 S2k, moved to an '09 Elise then an '06 Viper a quick stop at a '12 golf R and finally here with a V6 S 6MT. I've tried owned the spectrum of light and fun, to heavy and fast. Here is my advice, if you can keep the S2k and get the Jag do it without hesitation. If you had to sell the s2k I'd go on 3 or 4 long test drives and make up your mind. My S/O favorite car was the s2k she would drive it anytime she could, the Jag is her second but moving closer to her first as time goes by.

For me, the s2k is a solid car with minor flaws, but I never much minded the undersized brakes or the overall lack of power. The F-Type isn't plagued with those issues, but I'll never feel as confident tossing this car around as I did with the Honda. Sure, it isn't as unique/fast/luxurious as the Jag, in fact the only thing it matches is the seats and driver position which Honda nailed. The only manual I've driven that compares to the S is the new Miata, but coming from a Viper put clutches in perspective for me & I know I won't find anything with more power and as smooth a shifter. If you have specific questions I'll try to answer them honestly. I love the Jag and in a lot of ways it reminds me of the smiles per miles of the S.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:45 AM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

+1 on the keep the S2000 and buy the Jag.

I am a big believer in roadster collecting.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:48 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an early S2000. Fun car but I sold it after I spun it making a left turn. The later series cars were better they didn't oversteer as much. I then got a Boxster. The best handling car I ever had. After that a Maserati Spyder, a real head turner with great sound. Sold it to buy the F Type. All around the best sports car I've owned. Handles great, great power, roof goes up and down super quick, and has luxury car like interior. Plus it Works no issues.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:21 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

I’d say skip the v6 and go for the R for not much more money.

The following users liked this post:
BostonKiller (12-15-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 02:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy with caution, seriously. I regret my purchase.

Jag customer service is very shitty. The build quality on these cars leaves a lot be desired..... poor body panel fitment issues, lots of knocks and strange noises and, did I mention their customer service is absolutely horrendous?

I wish I could go back and talk some sense into myself.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:38 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritzy

Jag customer service is very shitty. The build quality on these cars leaves a lot be desired..... poor body panel fitment issues, lots of knocks and strange noises and, did I mention their customer service is absolutely horrendous?

Conversely I have an early model (Jan 2014) convertible, have not had a single issue with it (well, had the muffler replaced under warranty), no knocks or rattles. It has performed exceptionally well in the past 4 years.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

This is a dealer issue. Some of us have had nothing but exemplary service from our dealers.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

My dealer stood by the car. No complaints here.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

I have the opposite experience.
My car is over three years old with nearly 39,000 km on it now and I haven't had a single problem with it if you discount the slightly rattly engine at idle, which seems to be fairly normal anyway.
On the other hand every dealing I have had with my local JLR dealership has been less than satisfactory, and now that the car is nearly out of warranty I will never go near them again.
And it's not like I can try another dealership, the next closest one is over 700 km away!

Old 12-11-2017, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I have the opposite experience.
My car is over three years old with nearly 39,000 km on it now and I haven't had a single problem with it if you discount the slightly rattly engine at idle, which seems to be fairly normal anyway.
On the other hand every dealing I have had with my local JLR dealership has been less than satisfactory, and now that the car is nearly out of warranty I will never go near them again.
And it's not like I can try another dealership, the next closest one is over 700 km away!
That may be the issue. I've got 4 dealerships within 30 miles. They have to treat their customers right.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:09 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had the opposite experience the service I have had from jaguar is second to none superb
No other super car service department has come close had Porsche before never again

Old 12-12-2017, 09:07 AM

I was referring to their customer service. Not the dealerships. Jag customer service is downright awful. The dealers are typically pretty good though.

And I say buy with caution in that, know what you’re getting in too. These cars aren’t made particularly well and Jag has no desire to support their vehicles beyond absolute necessity.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:11 AM

These cars aren’t made particularly well and Jag has no desire to support their vehicles beyond absolute necessity.
Could you provide some specifics to quantify that statement?

I have owned 5 x Porsche 911's (Generally considered to be the gold standard for high quality build standards on a sports car) as well as BMW's etc, and I find the build and quality of the F Type to be of a very good standard.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by ek993
Could you provide some specifics to quantify that statement?

I have owned 5 x Porsche 911's (Generally considered to be the gold standard for high quality build standards on a sports car) as well as BMW's etc, and I find the build and quality of the F Type to be of a very good standard.

Ek, are you projecting on the car? You’re alway the first one to question any single negative anyone posts about these cars. It’s not an attack on you because you have the car too.....

The panel alignment is absolute ****, it’s seriously very bad. The car rattles and creakes to no end. And the software is very buggy. My car goes in and out of auto stop start mode randomly, and the active exhaust has many known issues.

For or this kind of money, these issues should not exist.

dont get me wrong, there are still things I love about the car. But there is a lot of negative too I think that need to be considered.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:01 AM

Ek, are you projecting on the car? You’re alway the first one to question any single negative anyone posts about these cars. It’s not an attack on you because you have the car too.....

The panel alignment is absolute ****, it’s seriously very bad. The car rattles and creakes to no end. And the software is very buggy. My car goes in and out of auto stop start mode randomly, and the active exhaust has many known issues.

For or this kind of money, these issues should not exist.

dont get me wrong, there are still things I love about the car. But there is a lot of negative too I think that need to be considered.
Well, its just that you are making blanket statements like "these cars are built awfully with many issues" and "Jaguar customer service is terrible" while on the flip side I and many others have not experienced either the quality issues you are portraying, nor the poor customer service either. The issue with loss of exhaust noise was handled very well by Jaguar as was the recent muffler and interior trim replacement under warranty.

So - I believe its a case of some cars seem to have more issues than others and some interactions with Jaguar and or their dealers is worse than others experience. Which is pretty much the same story for every car and manufacturer out there. Some people are very happy, some people have bad experiences.

I don't believe its right to make blanket sweeping statements in the manner that you have portraying the car and service offered by the manufacturer as awful across the board.

And I have no particular allegiances to cars or brands - I have owned some not so great ones and am happy to say when I have a bad experience or the car didn't live up to my expectations, as has happened in the past.

Last edited by ek993; 12-12-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Should I buy?