S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S type alignment specs - after pothole damage FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Default S type alignment specs - after pothole damage FAQ

I have just come back from one of the worst car and life experiences of my life. Got dragged to dinner by my pregnant wife even though I had a horrible/stressful work day. Just so happens, its completely down pouring...again. While cruising down a dark road it sounded and felt like I hit a curb, of course it was the evil leader of all potholes, and F'D my Jag up bad. After my failed attempt of swerving around this beast, I nailed it on the right side. I thought I had two flats.

Completely drenched I tried to take the lugs off the rear, which was the only tire that was flat. One lug stripped as did the POS lug wrench. Hopeless, I told the wife to go into Kentucky Fried Chicken and I will go to Advanced Auto Parts a mile up the road. Braved the elements, bought a tire iron and Insta Flat and the guy at the store kindly gave me a ride back. The new tire iron did confirm the fact that the lug was stripped and it wasnt just the stripped oem lug wrench. I tried to do the Insta Flat stuff then saw it spewing out of the side wall of the tire. I threw it on the ground, locked the car, called a friend to get me then went accross the street, defeated, to KFC. Drowning in self pity I slammed back some friend chicken and mashed potatoes.

Here I sit. Just got back to my house, the Jag is sitting in some random parking lot, and I am on the phone with AAA arguing about my membership being expired when I bought it last May. I will be getting a tow, and the most logical place to tow is Town Fair Tire. I am going to check the internet tonight and see if they have any deals.

Best case scenerio I guess is that I have no damage to either rim (did not see any after examining it), only have to replace one rear tire seeing as the hole is on the outer wall, they dont charge me an arm and, a leg for chisling off my stripped lug nut, and there is no alignment issues. I did hit the front right wheel and right rear wheel hard so I'm sure I will be paying for more than just a tire and a broken lug nut.

Needed to vent, I'm pissed and aggravated. I will be putting in a claim to the Town of Weymouth where these landmines are located, and send themw the bill. Its worth a shot. SOoooooooooo what should i have checked when it is in the shop and what should I look out regarding them trying to sell me on something I dont need i.e. alignment, matching other rear tire, new lugs all around etc. ???? Thanks fellas

Last edited by Bull27; 03-23-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

My Sympathies...

I got my car stuck in my own driveway for an entire weekend due to those damn stock lugnuts. I snapped 3 of them. I hope the town pays, but I don't know how that will work out.

Get new lugs from rockauto.com - made by dorman they are solid and good quality. Total is like 86 dollars delivered for all 20. New Jag POS lugs from the dealer are like $20 each.

I'd definitely get the same brand / model tire on the side that needs it, but no need to replace both, (unless the other is worn or damaged).

I would try to get the new tire road force balanced, just to check the rim runout as well to make sure you haven't bent a wheel.
After that, drive the car. If there is a vibration, or odd handling, then get into the alignment etc. A bent rear wheel feels like a shake in the seat. A bent front wheel usually gives a steering shake.

George

Old 03-23-2010, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
My Sympathies...

I got my car stuck in my own driveway for an entire weekend due to those damn stock lugnuts. I snapped 3 of them. I hope the town pays, but I don't know how that will work out.

Get new lugs from rockauto.com - made by dorman they are solid and good quality. Total is like 86 dollars delivered for all 20. New Jag POS lugs from the dealer are like $20 each.

I'd definitely get the same brand / model tire on the side that needs it, but no need to replace both, (unless the other is worn or damaged).

I would try to get the new tire road force balanced, just to check the rim runout as well to make sure you haven't bent a wheel.
After that, drive the car. If there is a vibration, or odd handling, then get into the alignment etc. A bent rear wheel feels like a shake in the seat. A bent front wheel usually gives a steering shake.

George
Thanks George, I knew those freaking lugnuts would be an issue one of these days. Just didnt think it would happen at 10pm on a random Tuesday in the middle of a monsoon! dammit.

Two questions:

1) seeing as the front tire got slammed as well, just didnt get a flat, could there be wheel damage, and should I have them "check" alignment"?

2) Hopefully they sell the same brand, Kumho, but for some reason I feel like they dont. The tires dont have many miles on them so I would HATE to have to replace both. Seeing as the damage (blowout) to the rear tire was the outer side wall, no visible damage to the outer wheel, is it possible or likely that either of these right side wheels could have bent?

Old 03-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

I'd get the front wheel spun on a balancer to see how it runs out as well.

Yes you could have hurt a wheel. Think about the force it requires to tear the sidewall of a mounted and inflated tire, any additional force was passed on to first, the wheel, and second, the suspension - which was basically static at that point because it was fully compressed.

Jag wheels tend to be pretty soft aluminum - as most OEM wheels made by Hollander are, i think that is by design because they want the wheel to fail before it tears apart the suspension.

IF you want to save the other tire, consider having the shop just remove the stripped lugs, and mounting the spare, until you can find a suitable replacement tire.

Personally I'd do one thing at a time. It's easy to rack up a big bill taking care of things that " might " have happened.

First get the tire replaced, and inspect the wheels for obvious damage.

Then take the car for a ride and see how it feels. Any vibrations / pulling etc. Time to look into it further.

I'd PM brutal for alignment specs and procedures for the S-type. He talks constantly about how to properly align these cars, and how Jag changed the spec to prevent premature inner tire wear.

Also be careful that you didn't "bubble" a sidewall in the front. - Where the inner layers of the sidewall separated, and allowed air to get into the sidewall. If you did, the tire is a goner, for it's a blowout waiting to happen.

George

Old 03-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27
SOoooooooooo what should i have checked when it is in the shop and what should I look out regarding them trying to sell me on something I dont need i.e. alignment, matching other rear tire, new lugs all around etc. ???? Thanks fellas
Wow. Sounds like the start of my horrible week a couple of weeks ago (See Not my week with the STR posts...). I'll bet you will need an alignment, but that may not be the end of it. Have them check the inner control arm for any damage (mine was bent almost 90 degrees). I really hope that it ISN'T that, since they don't sell them and the only way to replace is with the entire steering box (or rack if you prefer).

I've got an extra box of 10 lugs and 10 of the POS OEM lugs from my wonderful week... Hang in there, things will get better

BB

Old 03-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bytor
Wow. Sounds like the start of my horrible week a couple of weeks ago (See Not my week with the STR posts...). I'll bet you will need an alignment, but that may not be the end of it. Have them check the inner control arm for any damage (mine was bent almost 90 degrees). I really hope that it ISN'T that, since they don't sell them and the only way to replace is with the entire steering box (or rack if you prefer).

I've got an extra box of 10 lugs and 10 of the POS OEM lugs from my wonderful week... Hang in there, things will get better

BB
Ken at British parts sells the inner tie rods which I believe is what Bytor is talking about if I remember correctly seperately from the steering rack, and they are available on ebay as well. Apparently its a huge PITA to do when the rack is in the car though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/new-j...5#ht_500wt_956

Bytor, Or someone - I might Need some of those stock lugs if you're willing to part with them for cheap. I'm on the prowl for an OEM set of wheels.

George

Old 03-23-2010, 10:57 PM

I hate playing the "what if" game in my head. To be completely honest, the anxiety about this situation stems from the incompetence of these technicians at the huge tire chains to properly diagnose and fix a problem correctly and "gently". I always end up getting some kind of scrape or mark on a rim from their neglect. Conversly i dont have the time, patience or present brain capacity to get another tow to either Jaguar or another tire shop that may or may not be any better than Town Fair Tire. I'll just leave it there for good if they tell me its a control arm.....if they even know how to check for that.

If a rim is bent, can they usually be repaired? I can't imagine how expensive my stock rear rim would be.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

I hate playing the "what if" game in my head. To be completely honest, the anxiety about this situation stems from the incompetence of these technicians at the huge tire chains to properly diagnose and fix a problem correctly and "gently". I always end up getting some kind of scrape or mark on a rim from their neglect. Conversly i dont have the time, patience or present brain capacity to get another tow to either Jaguar or another tire shop that may or may not be any better than Town Fair Tire. I'll just leave it there for good if they tell me its a control arm.....if they even know how to check for that.

If a rim is bent, can they usually be repaired? I can't imagine how expensive my stock rear rim would be.
You don't want someone at a tire shop pulling out a steering rack on an S-Type R... Trust us here.

Rims can be repaired, and refinished. Depending on the nature of the damage.

It will probably cost you around $150 to 200.

Ready to go refurbished rear rims are 395 here:

http://www.detroitwheelandtire.com/p...ake=167&page=5

George

Old 03-23-2010, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
You don't want someone at a tire shop pulling out a steering rack on an S-Type R... Trust us here.

Rims can be repaired, and refinished. Depending on the nature of the damage.

It will probably cost you around $150 to 200.

Ready to go refurbished rear rims are 395 here:

http://www.detroitwheelandtire.com/p...ake=167&page=5

George

No no no, I would never have them mess with my steering rack, i was just talking about mounting, balancing (correctly the 1st time), alignment.

Thanks for your help, I PRAY that I dont need to use the links you provided i.e. new rear wheel, steering arm/tie rod.

I would be shocked if it did anything to the front end components and even the front wheel, the rear definately took the brunt of it.

I will figure out if they have a matching rear tire first thing, if they do, have them mount and road force balance it after they get that stripped lug off and check for damage. Next I will tell them to leave the stripped lug off and that I am ordering some online. I will then ask them to do a roadforce balance on the front right wheel and check for damage to the rim and any tie rods. Supposedly they include an alignment with a certain package they offer so I will flirt with having that done. It wont go as smoothly as this but that is my game plan for 8 am tomorrow morning. Will keep ya'll updated

Old 03-23-2010, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member

If it were my car, and you got the tire replaced, and the rims are ok, I'd have all 4 wheels road force balanced. It should only be $10 or so per wheel..
Like I said, talk to Brutal before you get the car aligned.. Most shops don't do it right, and the specs have changed.

Good luck with everything..

George

Old 03-24-2010, 01:42 AM
ccc
Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to hear about that! With all of the recent rain in LA, I hit a bone jarring pothole pretty hard near LAX. I didn't have a flat or any shimmy so i thought all was OK. After a few hund. miles, I noticed that the tread was separating from the core about 2 to 3 inches deep on about 8 inches on the lead edge and the rest of the tire looked like the tread shifted about 1/4" and caused a step in the sidewall. Turns out the back of the front rim had about 1/2" run out and the front side about 1/4" runout from the pothole. I was lucky that my neighbor caught this before the tire failed on the freeway.

With that in mind, I would second checking the rim after hitting a pothole hard. In my case, it drove fine, didn't have any shimmy at high-speeds but the tread was separating from the casing. I don't know if road force balancing would catch this case, but checking for runout and out of round on the car is pretty easy. I spent the entire night trying to price out a new factory chrome rim but the next day a rim repair shop was able to fix the rim in less then 4 hours without the need to rechrome for about $120 and the alignment was fine. I wouldn't worry too much, rim repair technology is pretty advanced these days.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:37 AM

Well at least one good thing happened out of this whole situation. The tow truck driver #1 left my driver's window down all night in the rain, #2 spewed dirt and sand from his wheels or whatever all over my seats, and #3 just left my key on the floor after telling me that this particular place had a drop box, which they dont. AAA will be getting a phone call from an infuriated human being shortly.

Spoke with one of the sales guys in person as soon as they opened, 8AM sharp. Gave him a printout of Brutal's alignment specs, if we decide to do an alignment, and also printed instructions on what EXACTLY I want them to check and do.

Of course he tried to sell me the single tire for $269 until I mentioned their website's "price matching" policy. Same tire on Tirerack was $171 plus $14.66 shipping. He immediately dropped the price down to that. I think he understood that I was not F*cking around this morning after witnessing my demeanor after figuring out what a debacle the tow ended up being. Funny how much of a mark up they put on tires. They have to be special ordered and the car will probably sit there for a few days, so wont know of any other damage until the tire comes in.

Appreciate all the replies

Old 03-24-2010, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Bull, sorry to read about what happened to you 2 last night. If I may add some wisdom that is related to your other love. Being a married guy with 2 kids and 1 coming in 4 weeks. Try to remember that the wifey is already under alot of stress, try try try not to add more!!! Maybe she'll check your undercarriage, knowing that YOU believe she did not cause you to hit the pothole. Good luck with the city, and getting your kitty back on the road!

Old 03-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

Well at least one good thing happened out of this whole situation. The tow truck driver #1 left my driver's window down all night in the rain, #2 spewed dirt and sand from his wheels or whatever all over my seats, and #3 just left my key on the floor after telling me that this particular place had a drop box, which they dont. AAA will be getting a phone call from an infuriated human being shortly.

Spoke with one of the sales guys in person as soon as they opened, 8AM sharp. Gave him a printout of Brutal's alignment specs, if we decide to do an alignment, and also printed instructions on what EXACTLY I want them to check and do.

Of course he tried to sell me the single tire for $269 until I mentioned their website's "price matching" policy. Same tire on Tirerack was $171 plus $14.66 shipping. He immediately dropped the price down to that. I think he understood that I was not F*cking around this morning after witnessing my demeanor after figuring out what a debacle the tow ended up being. Funny how much of a mark up they put on tires. They have to be special ordered and the car will probably sit there for a few days, so wont know of any other damage until the tire comes in.

Appreciate all the replies
I would call the tow company that ran that job, and ask to speak directly to a supervisor. That's ridiculous and completely unacceptable. I would at least make them pay for an interior detail and or any other damage their irresponsible driver caused.

As far as the tires, prices are all over the place, and they will charge whatever they can.

Btw, do you mind posting or forwarding me Brutal's alignment specs? I have been fighting a vibration issue, and when it gets settled (which will most likely include new tires) I want the car properly aligned.

George

Old 03-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,309 Likes on 2,827 Posts

Bull,

I'm truly sorry for your lousy experience. The only thing worse than dealing with destroyed tires far away from home is dealing with destroyed tires far away from home in the rain....

I agree with George's advice to tackle one problem at a time. Have the wheels carefully inspected before you purchase any new ones. Same with the tires. Alignment may very well be needed, but have it checked before you spring for it....

I really do recommend getting rid of all of your crappy two-piece stock lug nuts and going with the solid chrome ones. Just one experience like yours makes it well worth it....

Best of luck going after the city and also AAA for leaving your window down. Absolutely no excuse in that....

Old 03-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile Dinner

KFC [Chicken Dinner] Sounds good ! http://www.phenixwheels-store.com/se...uar/Categories

Old 03-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

damnnnnnn what a ****ty day for you.....sorry to hear.....You are taking it quite well casue I would of been all up in certain peoples faces haha.....Hope everyone makes it right for you....

Old 03-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

Bull27 - What a horrible experience! I hope it works out not too badly.

Do Brutal's specs match the ones I posted here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ight=alignment

If not, please say what's different.

If easier, please PM me Brutal's and I'll cross-check myself

Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 PM

Hey guys, again, thanks for all the kind remarks. I took some pics with the front wheel off, we couldnt find anything bent or out of place, but to be honest I didnt really know what I was looking for. So i took a few crappy pics, couldnt find that inner control arm that Bytor was talking about, or maybe I did but just didnt know it.

Anyways, the front rim and tire are fine, thank god! We threw it on the Hunter wheel balancing machine and it looked fine. He took the stripped lug off at no charge and did not damage anything, which was good. We ordered the matching rear tire, but wont be in for 5-7 business days! So at this point I have to pray that the rear tire is not bent, and the alignment I bought will work out. Thanks for posting the full specs from BRUTAL, i think my list was only partial. I will be printing that out and giving it to them. They are well aware of it, and the lead technician is the only one to be working on my car (supposedly), but the kid seems like he knows his stuff.

So even with the most recent Jaguar alignment updates, they are still incorrect for the STR? I trust and respect Brutal tremendously and have no problem using those specs from the other post, just wanted to make sure there wasnt a more recent update?

Anyways as you can see from the invoice that pothole was not only a nightmare, but cost me a pretty penny. The tire price includes the mounting, tax, and shipping. They are going to road force balance the new rear tire, and do a full alignment. I guess that is when I will really know if there is any damage.

Again, thanks for all the concerns, comments, tips etc. Much appreciated.

Name:  invoice0001.jpg
Views: 1747
Size:  171.2 KB
Name:  1-5.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  60.6 KB
Name:  2-5.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  102.6 KB
Name:  3-5.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  61.3 KB
Name:  4-4.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  63.5 KB

Last edited by Bull27; 03-25-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thought they where going to price match the tire for you.....

and fyi, you might want to black out your personal info such as address as you dont know who is on the web these days....

Quick Reply: S type alignment specs - after pothole damage FAQ