2001 XKR Coupe - Break it or sell as is?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 04:56 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 2001 XKR Coupe - Break it or sell as is?

As the title suggests really.

My BRG 2001 XKR has sat under cover for the last 18 months unused and I have now come to the conclusion that I won't ever have the time to get her back on the road. It was initially owned by a jockey called Johny Francombe, now turned author, who owned it for the first three years and put over 100k on it driving around the country to race meetings. As a consequence, the cream interior is mint. I'm the fourth owner and have had it for about 5 years.

So, the good points are the engine and gearbox which run really well, the interior and and the 20" Paris wheels. I was thinking of breaking it and keeping the engine, gearbox and diff as spares for my wife's 2001 XKR convertible and selling the interior, which as I say is in great condition and then getting the wheels refurbed and then sell them as well.

But I know I;m going to struggle to find the time to do this, so I'm starting to think about just selling it as it is.

Any advice out there?

Thanks
Andy

Old 01-26-2019, 02:48 PM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Has it sat under cover because there's a fault or just because you have another vehicle to use?

If you don't have the time to get it back on the road then you definitely don't have time to break it. I've known three people who have done this and found it was a combination of heartbreak and frustration.

Powertrain, interior and wheels are the parts likely to sell quickly and for reasonable money. After that there will be a trail of owners looking for small parts at tiny cost. This will go on until you get fed up and want to get rid of the remains. Here is when the problems really start. Disposing of complete cars for scrap is sufficiently difficult nowadays. Disposing one of that has already been picked over by the vultures could prove expensive.

Quickest option is to sell "as is". The provenance makes it interesting. Best option is If it can get through an MoT without too much time or effort then it will be a lot easier to sell and go for a better price.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 01-27-2019 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-27-2019, 03:48 AM

Thanks Graham
I've pretty much reached the same conclusions.

It's been under cover mainly because we changed our cars a couple of years ago and ended up buying a really nice R convertible in Seafrost for my wife and I moved onto a Land Rover. I just couldn't come to get rid of my lovely R and so it's just sat there whilst I thought I would get round to it one day!

I think I'm going to invest some time in figuring out how much is involved in getting it MOT'd and go from there.
Thanks
Andy

Old 01-27-2019, 04:29 AM
GGG

Andy,

It would be a shame to break a runner. Plenty of would-be Jaguar owners out there just longing to scratch the itch as Easter approaches.

I can see how this could go - you'll get it through the MoT and start to enjoy driving it again!

Graham

Old 02-06-2019, 02:17 PM

Hi Graham
I've had a friendly MOT inspector out to the house to have a look at it and there are a few issues that will need resolving before it will pass an MOT.
It's all corrosion related with some minor damage to the rear of the sills, the offside rear subframe mounting bracket has rotted through and there is a problem with the spring / damper on the front off side.

Non MOT but more cosmetic is the rust around both the rear arches.

I won't be tempted to keep it, as we have decided to keep my wife's XKR convertible for a while yet, so I can get my 'fix' in that. Although my coupe has these rust problems, there are just too many good points to warrant scrapping it and as the MOT inspector said, it will be an ideal project for someone wanting to get into XK8/R ownership, who's handy with a welder and for little money.

So I'm going to advertise it as it is and hope I can attract an enthusiast looking for a project.

Thanks
Andy

Old 02-06-2019, 05:24 PM
GGG

The mounting bracket is an easy repair and rear sills are a regular problem in our climate. Nothing to worry about but naturally going to affect the price. RaceDiagnostics (Jim) will see this metalwork as a challenge and could soon be beating a path to your door.

Your signature looks good and I think it's the sensible way of staying within forum advertising rules whilst getting the message across.

Graham