series 111 Drain Tubes and under body proofing

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 10:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default series 111 Drain Tubes and under body proofing

Hi All, Can anyone tell me where to purchase the 2 rubber drain tubes on the fire wall that drain the above chamber also years ago I purchased my 81 V12 Daimler in Melbourne AU which was imported from UK , it had been registered in UK and privately imported to Australia it has underbody proof coating fairly roughly applied which I hate but worry what I will find if I remove it as I was told in UK they put salt on the roads ,is it applied in factory for UK vehicles or do owners have it done ? . under the guards it has been put on thick and run down in large runs . any advise is greatly appreciated, John.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:46 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

John,

If you mean the drain tubes from the plenum chamber (items 3 and 6), these are no longer available from Jaguar and I can't find a UK supplier listing them in stock.

Road salt was used extensively in the UK in the 1960's, 70's and 80's but less so in recent times as we haven't had a severe winter for a long time.

My XJ6 Series I and Series II had no underbody protection from the factory. It was common at the time for Jaguar Dealers to offer "Zeibart" protection which involved drilling small holes into the box sections and injecting a wax. The holes were then plugged. Wheelarches were frequently sprayed with "Tetrosyl" - a black rubber based protectant which could be built up to a considerable thickness. Neither of threse was particularly effective as both my XJ6's had serious rusting on the sills and wheelarches in less than five years.

I was so annoyed with Jaguar's refusal to accept a warranty claim on the Series II that I never had a Series III and didn't buy another Jaguar until 1992 when the XJ40 had developed an established reputation.

The Australian climate is much kinder to the older Jaguars and I'm always impressed by the condition of member's XJ's. If there was a hidden rust problem beneath the protective coating on your Series III, I'm sure it would have been visible on the outer panels by now.

Graham

Old 06-18-2019, 06:05 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank You Graham it is great to get all that information. There does not seem to be any indication of a problem apart from the old windscreen rust on the lower portion of the surround. the way the proofing looks under the front guards it is likely the Tetrosyl you mention. The sils are coated with normal looking proof coating under the paint work. I will keep trying for the plenum drainage tubes. Regards John.