US Midwest IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI

Good wheels for bad roads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Angry Good wheels for bad roads?

Hi everyone. Just bought my first Jag this winter and am looking forward to spring so I can finally get her out of the garage. The problem I'm having is that the roads in Michigan (Metro Detroit) are in absolutely terrible condition and I'm looking for some advice on fitting 16" XJ8 wheels on an XK8 with 18" wheels. The idea being that I could install a tire with significantly more sidewall and that the rims and tires are cheaper when they get destroyed. It looks like the rims will fit, but I'm not sure about brake clearances or offset. Does anyone have any experience with this or other advice? Ideally I would love to run black steel rims with knobby tires to better express my dissatisfaction for the 3rd world condition of our roads.

Thanks

Old 05-09-2014, 09:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Nero- I thought this was interesting. Any developments? Considering the cost of rubber t would seem to make sense to have a "casual" set of wheels and slap on the "performance" wheels when the conditions are right. Not an uncommon practice at all...

Old 05-30-2014, 09:07 PM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation Latest Developments

Recently another local forum member was kind enough to let me test fit his XJ8 16" rims on my XK8. Both are cars are 2000 models, so we though it was our best chance of getting a clean fit. Our initial measurements seemed to indicate we had enough room to clear the brakes, but a test fit on the right front gave us a very slight interference between the outside corner of the caliper and the inside of the rim where it begins to taper. There seems to be a slight difference in the height of hat on the rotor between the XJ and XK. This problem could be potentially solved by a small spacer, but we did not have one available at the time. I unfortunately don't have any pictures of the test-fit to share as I did not think to take any at the time. I hope this information is helpful to others.