US Midwest IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI

plainfield IL xjs

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default plainfield IL xjs

I am a new owner of an 86 XJS. I've been plugging away at the few things I need to do to have a summer, road worthy ride. Are there any of you near chicago or better yet plainfield with v12 knowledge? I am an A&P by trade and love working on this car but it's always good to have someone with experience point you in the right direction.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:42 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm just up the road from you in Naperville. Currently driving a XK8, but I had a XJ12 many years ago with basically the same engine. Happy to help if I can.
George

The following users liked this post:
MidwestJag (05-28-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 01:03 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm in plainfield off Caton Farm and Rt. 59. Tim, the owner, and Jaime (pronounced "HI-may"), the manager, over at the Tuffy automotive (across from Tony's grocery), has been aweseome with diagnostics and repair on all my vehicles (he will even install parts I bring to him) if you need an indy mechanic. His brother has an XF portfolio. If you go in, tell him Mark with the Mercedes sent you.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tanman:
dcjag64 (01-13-2015), MidwestJag (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 12:51 PM

Thank you George and Mark. I want someone to just check out my XJS to see if there is anything obvious to them that might need attention.

MidwestJag (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Welcome tikicat.

LOVE seeing this kind of support and encouragement on the forum. Thanks, guys!

Scott

Tanman (05-29-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 06:44 AM
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Although I know nothing about the V12's Im on the west side of Joliet next to Shorewood and RT59.

Chris

Old 08-03-2014, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, Tikicat et al. I'm a new member in Plainfield, Illinois. Recently acquired a 2005 s-type vdp, which I absolutely love. The guys at Merlin on Rt. 30 did a nice job on brakes for me. I have had very good service from them on my other cars too.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:56 AM

Thank you for the info. I enjoy doing all my own work but am always looking for advice. The next major thing is the A/C system. I have a leak and I'm afraid its the evaporator. That will be a winter project.
What I'm looking for is someone who knows these v12's to check it out and point out anything obvious I need to fix.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:19 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi - I'm in Shorewood, next to Home Depot. I have had excellent service for a few years form Specialty Auto, Rt 30 Plainfield Rd at Ingalls Ave. Their rates are quite reasonable and they have some Jag and M-B regulars and are very honest. No, I'm not related!

Rick 2000 XKR

dcjag64 (01-13-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 11:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanman
I'm in plainfield off Caton Farm and Rt. 59. Tim, the owner, and Jaime (pronounced "HI-may"), the manager, over at the Tuffy automotive (across from Tony's grocery), has been aweseome with diagnostics and repair on all my vehicles (he will even install parts I bring to him) if you need an indy mechanic. His brother has an XF portfolio. If you go in, tell him Mark with the Mercedes sent you.
Hey Mark, I live in Plainfield as well. I have just purchased a 2003 S-Type 4.2L. Does Tuffys have a knowledgeable staff to work on these cars. You said you can even bring in your own parts. Is that true? Any info on a good shop that knows how to diagnose and work on these cars?

Dave

Last edited by dcjag64; 01-13-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:01 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dcjag64
Hey Mark, I live in Plainfield as well. I have just purchased a 2003 S-Type 4.2L. Does Tuffys have a knowledgeable staff to work on these cars. You said you can even bring in your own parts. Is that true? Any info on a good shop that knows how to diagnose and work on these cars?

Dave

I've trusted the owner, Tim Floss, for many years to work on my vehicles if I didn't want to work on them myself (playing with my cars is a hobby and I enjoy it to take my mind off "work".). I've been under factory CPO warranty with my XF until two weeks ago, so he hasn't worked on my Jaguar specifically, but soon will be.
That being said, he is very good with the Mercedes vehicles I have brought him, including an S600 (M275 V12-twin turbo). I must admit, being a Benz driver and hobby mechanic for many years, I have a Mercedes Star Diagnostic system at my house, so I would typically diagnose prior to bringing it to him (with parts I sourced). Not to say he hasn't helped me several times where I've been left scratching my head (he diagnosed a misfire caused by a vacuum line leaking unmetered air that I could not figure out for the life of me).
He does have a 3rd party (Snap on?) diagnostic system that was able to access 95% of what the MB Star system did including transmission sub-menus. It had a huge list of other brands on it's menu, so I'd be pretty sure it could diagnose Jaguar.

He's also very good about estimates and not charging if he can't do something.

Yes, he will install parts if you bring it to him. At least he has for me.
Just keep in mind he's not responsible for those parts and will still charge labor if either they are the wrong parts (I did that once...100% my mistake) or if you give him a used part. Probably the most complex thing he did was to completely replace the ABC hydraulic suspension pump and valve block on the Mercedes. I brought him a rebuilt pump I sourced online. No problem.
If I decide to keep my XF through the spring, I'm planning on getting a supercharger pulley upgrade from Mina Gallery and bringing it to him for installation.

He's added a few newer guys lately. Aside from himself, Ed is probably his most veteran tech. If you give Tim a call and tell him Mark Tan referred you, I'm sure he would be very up front about whether he could do something or not.

Hope that helps!

dcjag64 (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanman
I've trusted the owner, Tim Floss, for many years to work on my vehicles if I didn't want to work on them myself (playing with my cars is a hobby and I enjoy it to take my mind off "work".). I've been under factory CPO warranty with my XF until two weeks ago, so he hasn't worked on my Jaguar specifically, but soon will be.
That being said, he is very good with the Mercedes vehicles I have brought him, including an S600 (M275 V12-twin turbo). I must admit, being a Benz driver and hobby mechanic for many years, I have a Mercedes Star Diagnostic system at my house, so I would typically diagnose prior to bringing it to him (with parts I sourced). Not to say he hasn't helped me several times where I've been left scratching my head (he diagnosed a misfire caused by a vacuum line leaking unmetered air that I could not figure out for the life of me).
He does have a 3rd party (Snap on?) diagnostic system that was able to access 95% of what the MB Star system did including transmission sub-menus. It had a huge list of other brands on it's menu, so I'd be pretty sure it could diagnose Jaguar.

He's also very good about estimates and not charging if he can't do something.

Yes, he will install parts if you bring it to him. At least he has for me.
Just keep in mind he's not responsible for those parts and will still charge labor if either they are the wrong parts (I did that once...100% my mistake) or if you give him a used part. Probably the most complex thing he did was to completely replace the ABC hydraulic suspension pump and valve block on the Mercedes. I brought him a rebuilt pump I sourced online. No problem.
If I decide to keep my XF through the spring, I'm planning on getting a supercharger pulley upgrade from Mina Gallery and bringing it to him for installation.

He's added a few newer guys lately. Aside from himself, Ed is probably his most veteran tech. If you give Tim a call and tell him Mark Tan referred you, I'm sure he would be very up front about whether he could do something or not.

Hope that helps!
Thank you much for the details. I'll definitely keep this in mind...or sounds like your nearly as knowledgeable, heck I'd bring my car to you.

Tanman (02-08-2015)