XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Torque Converter for 1994 xjs

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 01:51 AM
Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Torque Converter for 1994 xjs

Is it common for a torque converter to go out on a facelift xjs? I seem to have the symptoms but I am yet to hear of a single person needing to replace theirs.

The car just sort of stops moving when Im on the freeway at 70. I step on the gas a few times and then it starts moving again. I stopped stressing on it because it always starts going again and it always happens at a slight incline on the freeway.

I also get a clicking sound when the car is cold and I start to gas it. I have been thinking it is the catyltic converter shield which is loose. Now Im thinking it may be the converter. It is coming from that same area.

I am going to ween out the transmission switch next time it happens, as slight chance that is it.

Similar problems on a 94 xjs? It is not subtle when it happens. I always drive in the shoulder and I renewed my aaa. It feels like the car could stop moving... but it always does...

Old 09-22-2015, 02:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

hoodun,

As you mention, you don't often hear of torque converters letting go on our cars. However, you can get similar symptom if the fluid level is low and the torque converter can't easily convert the engine revs to transmission rotation. Not sure if you're referring to your GM or ZF box, but the ZF box also improves considerably in change quality with a fluid and filter change.

Paul

Old 09-22-2015, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by hoodun
Is it common for a torque converter to go out on a facelift xjs? I seem to have the symptoms but I am yet to hear of a single person needing to replace theirs.

The car just sort of stops moving when Im on the freeway at 70. I step on the gas a few times and then it starts moving again. I stopped stressing on it because it always starts going again and it always happens at a slight incline on the freeway.

I also get a clicking sound when the car is cold and I start to gas it. I have been thinking it is the catyltic converter shield which is loose. Now Im thinking it may be the converter. It is coming from that same area.

I am going to ween out the transmission switch next time it happens, as slight chance that is it.

Similar problems on a 94 xjs? It is not subtle when it happens. I always drive in the shoulder and I renewed my aaa. It feels like the car could stop moving... but it always does...
Has the fluid level been checked correctly. Maybe the level was checked without motor running etc.and thus level actually being way too low. The incline thing is a clue to fluid running to back of gearbox and away from pump pickup.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:02 PM

I have had issues with fluid level. It always shows way too high. I completely emptied the system, added the correct amount and it still shows high level. The PO experienced the same and mentioned it to me when selling it.

It is the ZF box.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Sounds like something is blocked. Just a thought, if you've filled with the correct amount and still shows high.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:42 PM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

I have had issues with fluid level. It always shows way too high. I completely emptied the system, added the correct amount and it still shows high level. The PO experienced the same and mentioned it to me when selling it.

It is the ZF box.
The only way you could have completely emptied the system is if you removed and drained the torque converter, radiator and fluid lines. Is that what you did?

If not then the "correct amount" is the amount needed to bring the level up to the "full' line according to the dip stick, not the amount listed in the owners manual.

Too much fluid can cause issues due to excessive fluid pressures. You should drain some fluid out until it reads correctly on the dip stick.

That being said, I doubt its going to solve your problem. I'm afraid that the transmission and/or torque converter are going to need attention.

Mark

Old 09-22-2015, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

It is the ZF box.
Can you outline exactly what your procedure for checking the level is please.

Last edited by baxtor; 09-22-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:56 PM

ok, it was clearly overfilled by me and the previous owner. I just drained it and filled it with the correct amount which brought it to the level he said his mechanic told him it should be at... There is no slipping, so that is at least a good sign.

I will get it to the proper mark. I believe I had it there before, and for some reason went back to the mark he said it should be at. Could I be covering up some issue. I cant recall why I did this but something was not working correct at the right level. I will recall soon enough when I do it again.

I check the fluid by warming it up and leaving the engine running.

Could this be an issue with the solenoid as well?

It stalled at a stop light last night. It has never done this before. It also continues to have issues when it seems to downshift. It locked up yesterday when going up a hill and downshifting. Playing with the throttle brings it back as it always does.

I have a ground issue somewhere (other issues). Could this be a part of the problem?

Old 09-26-2015, 07:15 PM

turns out the tranny was empty. I must have a leak somewhere. just replaced the ps hose which was ruptured. the fluids must have got mixed which is why I did not notice a trans leak? ?

anyway, I just filled it up to the max mark at normal engine temp. I have a feeling this will solve my problem. hopefully nothing was destroyed in the process.

I really hope its just a leaky hose and that its still ok.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:21 PM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

turns out the tranny was empty. I must have a leak somewhere. just replaced the ps hose which was ruptured. the fluids must have got mixed which is why I did not notice a trans leak? ?

anyway, I just filled it up to the max mark at normal engine temp. I have a feeling this will solve my problem. hopefully nothing was destroyed in the process.

I really hope its just a leaky hose and that its still ok.
There is no connection between the Power Steering and the Transmission. They do not share fluid.

In your previous post you said that you drained and refilled the transmission. How could it be empty now?

Mark

Last edited by Safari; 09-26-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:41 PM

I make some idiotic mistakes but I am not that ignorant. I realize that ps fluid and tranny fluid are not the same. :P When i said mixed, I meant mixed on the ground.

I had a power steering hose break which Im thinking may have masked my transmission fluid leak which appears to have happened at the same time. I did not notice that the transmission fluid was leaking. Otherwise I would have looked into it. ... I saw a punctured power steering hose and assumed all red fluid was ps fluid.

I flushed and re filled the tranny fluid about 2 years ago (but only 500 miles ago). Its not something that was recently done. The car in the process of being painted for the last year and a half...

"How could it be empty" - that is the question I am hoping to have answered soon. I was shocked to see it is empty. I am waiting to see where the transmission fluid is leaking from now that it is filled back up. Hopefully it is a hose and not a seal or something.

Last edited by hoodun; 09-26-2015 at 11:50 PM.