US Northwest Washington/Oregon/Idaho & SW Canadians

April Meet and Drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts
Default April Meet and Drive

Well, April approaches!

Time for the Jags to come out of hibernating, and sprint happily along roads lined with spring flowers!
Two Saturdays to choose from...the 12th or 26th...

Lets keep it low (as in elevation), so a Whidbey Island loop, or maybe a Port Townsend/Fort Warden drive?

Lets have some feedback, and we can do our best to get some of these cats out to play!

Vince

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (04-01-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 01:04 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

I can't go on the 26th, but I'm all in on the 12th.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

No other interest in a gathering of Cats in April? wow... WAKE UP GANG! Spring is here!

Old 03-24-2014, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

Well, looks like lack of further input, we will lock this to the 12th...
Destinations?
How bout a loop of Hood Canal, starting in Kingston?
Or maybe something simpler like Port Townsend? (Start Kingston)
Whidbey Is.?
Ocean Shores?

V

Last edited by CleverName; 03-24-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

I may be able to make the 12th, it depends on how long the route is, and where it runs.

JimC64 (04-01-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by avt007
I may be able to make the 12th, it depends on how long the route is, and where it runs.
That would be awesome!
Alot depends on starting points.
Ocean shores is a long one, although only 2.5+ hours in each direction starting in Gig Harbor. (Always left me time to play with kites on the beach, but then, the Jag will not see sand like my other cars have)
Whidbey is all day trip for me but doable. (Although I have done this loop maybe 8 times in the last 3 years, so it is dull to me, I would still join in.)
Marko and I did Hood Canal in about 4 hours with stops. could start in Kingston or Gig Harbor.

After this last run with meetup.com, I would enjoy a more localized and relaxing drive.

V

Old 03-27-2014, 02:56 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

I think the 12th is out for me. Wife's birthday is coming up. I'll keep checking the NW region for more opportunities, though.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Whats the word Swimref? Take in the tulips? Drive to Ft Warden?
Grab a Burger in Enumclaw (Mmmmm western bacon burger at Rainier Bar and grill)?
Chowder in Anacortes?

V

Old 03-27-2014, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Nice one Vince, anything we can do to help, please let the mod team know and we'll be happy to do what we can.

The forum banner will be available if required I think too.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:49 PM

Starting in Kingston (give me time to get across) and looping around Hood Canal sounds pretty cool, it's not a trip I've ever done in one piece. If time permits we could add side trip to Ft. Warden/Pt. Townsend.

Oh, I just remembered, when in Pt. Gamble I have to show you one of my patented "sights."

Old 03-27-2014, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Swimref
Starting in Kingston (give me time to get across) and looping around Hood Canal sounds pretty cool, it's not a trip I've ever done in one piece. If time permits we could add side trip to Ft. Warden/Pt. Townsend.

Oh, I just remembered, when in Pt. Gamble I have to show you one of my patented "sights."
Sounds like a plan!
Here is the basic route
http://goo.gl/maps/V4jN6

If you want to head up to Pt Townsend, that adds about 2 to 3 hours to the whole thing.
http://goo.gl/maps/cLZBI

For me the day belongs to the drive, so I will lead or follow anywhere.

We need to ding on muddy a few more times if we are starting there in his home turf, but then, keeping the better half happy for her birthday has merit as well.... (Hey Muddy, you could always snag a few good steaks from that butcher in Purdy to take home!)

Avt007 - hope you can make it too!

V

And thanks JimC64, the group is starting small, but I hope to ask for that banner come July and September!

Last edited by CleverName; 03-28-2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: fixed GM routes
Muddydog (03-27-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 10:56 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Kingston?!?! You guys are killing me! OK, I talked to Chrissy and she said she's just happy I'm finally making friends. (Just kidding, she didn't really say that.) But I can't very well pass up a drive right in my own backyard!

So how about this: we'd both be excited to have everyone gather at our beach house after this fun drive for some good food, good drink and great company. We're 5 minutes from the Kingston ferry so people can depart whenever they need to get on the road, or stay as long as they like. The more the merrier! What do you say?

JimC64 (04-01-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
So how about this: we'd both be excited to have everyone gather at our beach house after this fun drive for some good food, good drink and great company. We're 5 minutes from the Kingston ferry so people can depart whenever they need to get on the road, or stay as long as they like. The more the merrier! What do you say?
Wow, what an offer! You've got yourself a special woman there Muddy! (Have you at least warned her that this group may have a few unsavory characters such as myself in attendance? If you are truthful to her she may change her mind and have you busy that day installing an electric gate on your driveway as a birthday present!)

We need a Kingston start time from Swimref. Calculating arrivals, we could meet at 8:30, 9:30, 10:15 or 11:00.....

Route Option #1 take in Pt Gamble, Pt Townsend, and loop = 5+ Hours total.

Back roads to Pt Townsend is 1hr. Departing PT Townsend and looping the canal back to Kingston is 2:45. So seat time is close to 3:45.
Allow 30 minutes for Pt Gamble, and 30+ for Pt Townsend and 30 minutes misc. puts us just over a 5 hour day from Kingston.

At 5 hours, food on route may need to be considered. PT has eateries... from there Quilcene (about 30 minute south of PT) would be your last option.
(I'm also happy brown bagging a PB&J to snack on, so whatever works for the group)

Route option #2 = just under 4 hours total.
The basic loop at 2hours 45 minutes. Add 30 (Pt Gamble) and 30 misc for a total drive time of just under 4 hours.

Input?
Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 03-29-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

Under two weeks to go!
Looking for a few more to join in!

Here kitty kitty kitty......

Last edited by CleverName; 04-01-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
Kingston?!?! You guys are killing me! OK, I talked to Chrissy and she said she's just happy I'm finally making friends. (Just kidding, she didn't really say that.) But I can't very well pass up a drive right in my own backyard!

Vince, absolutely superb !!

Muddy - what a great offer, absolutely top notch andreally hope it all works out.

If you can get several more we can get the banner along, some decals maybe, perhaps invite the neighbours and mae it a street party...lol

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
CleverName (04-01-2014), Muddydog (04-02-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Jim! I still have a stack of decals, and the turnout so far does not warrant the banner. I hope late spring and summer drives gather more than a few cats. Right now this one is a tad early and still in our wet season.
I hope we see some new faces, as this will be a relaxed drive good for all....
V

1.) Clevername
2.) Swimref
3.) Avt007 (tentative)
4.) Muddydog
5.)
6.)

Last edited by CleverName; 04-01-2014 at 11:42 PM. Reason: added names
The following 2 users liked this post by CleverName:
JimC64 (04-01-2014), Muddydog (04-01-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 11:41 AM

OK, I'm getting excited. We live about 45-50 minutes from the Edmonds ferry terminal, so as long as we're out of the house and on the road before 7 we should make the 7:55 boat, which gets us to Kingston at approximately 8:30ish. This would allow us all time to gather/gas up/get coffee etc. for a 9AM drive time. If we mess up and don't make the 7:55 the next boat is not until 8:50, which moves everything an hour later. Let's shoot for the 9AM start but if you get a sad call from me stranded on the Edmonds dock I hope our schedule would allow the half hour or so delay to let me catch up. I'll leave it to Vince to set our meeting place.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

A couple questions;
What would be a reasonable time to arrive to make the 7:55 departure?
Has the route choice been set?

Old 04-02-2014, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CleverName
That would be awesome!
Alot depends on starting points.
Ocean shores is a long one, although only 2.5+ hours in each direction starting in Gig Harbor. (Always left me time to play with kites on the beach, but then, the Jag will not see sand like my other cars have)
Whidbey is all day trip for me but doable. (Although I have done this loop maybe 8 times in the last 3 years, so it is dull to me, I would still join in.)
Marko and I did Hood Canal in about 4 hours with stops. could start in Kingston or Gig Harbor.

After this last run with meetup.com, I would enjoy a more localized and relaxing drive.

V
Hey Vince, if you pm me with area codes or regions etc I can do a mailing to all that have that as their region.

It may wake a few up and get you some more hits...........anything to help buddy

Old 04-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by avt007
A couple questions;
What would be a reasonable time to arrive to make the 7:55 departure?
Has the route choice been set?
No solid route yet... Guess I'm kinda letting those of you investing the longer day make that decision. Obviously the Hood Canal loop is the master plan, but a northern run to Pt Townsend has some scenic value although invests more hours into the day...
I have no problem with driving all day, any day... but then, this is one of my hobbies. You folks coming from the far side of the water will the ones I bow to....

Ferry departures from Edmonds on an early Saturday are something I cant offer help on... Friday nights were pretty heavy in the spring and summer, but I never had to come home on a Saturday morning to know how long the line was.... Muddy?
WSDOT - Ferries - Schedule: Winter 2014 Sailing Schedule for Edmonds / Kingston

Where is a good spot to meet in Kingston Muddy? The marina parking lot is to the left of the ferry dock but a tad convoluted getting down there... or maybe the IGA lot in town? (IGA has a Latte stand and a McD's just across the street from it...)

Jim64 - Hard to come up with a area code or such.... bit spastic over here, not to mention the shear area our PNW forum covers (remember, we can put 4 Scotland's inside just one of the 3 states! ). Muddy has kept a good list in our roll-call post, but this is not a drive I expect folks from Oregon or Idaho to drive over for. Area code 360 is my spot. 425 is Edmonds
I might look at Muddys list and see what I can do with it...

V

Last edited by CleverName; 04-02-2014 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply: April Meet and Drive