Wheels / Tires, Suspension & handling Wheels and Tires. Discuss sizes, fitments, offsets, profiles etc etc Discuss roll bars, springs, shocks etc for your Jaguar
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Tire Rot at 17k Miles - Got 80% Credit

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Michelin Tire Rot at 17k Miles - Got 80% Credit

My Michelin Pilot Sport all seasons have serious dry rot after only 17k miles. Michelin dealer called in the claim and Michelin said they would allow a 38% credit for new tires. There's about 65% of tread remaining.

According to Michelin, they were only willing to offer a 38% credit because according to them, I had the wrong tires on my car. They said my load ratings should have been 98/front/ and 100/rear instead of 94/96. But I had replaced my tires with the same tires that were on the car.

I called the dealer to verify what the original tires were. They said 94/96 - same as the Michelins I had previously purchased.

I called Michelin back to tell them this. They put me on hold (for quite a while) and came back to agree to an 80% credit. Strange thing is, the Michelin dealer used their book to look up the tires required for the car and it also indicated 98/100. I'm a bit perplexed by this. Tires aren't rocket science so I can't imagine why different sources are indicating a higher minimum required load rating.

But I'm now satisfied with Michelin's response. I never expected they would ever be that generous. There are lots of complaints online about Michelin not honoring their warranties.

I would prefer to change from Michelin, but I need new tires and can't ignore 80% off.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Don't know who you're dealing with but when I got a 75% credit from Michelin on my wife's 2006 XK8's Pilot Sport A/S front tires in October 2012, I replaced them with a pair of Yokohama YK580 tires. My local Discount Tire branch handled the credit from Michelin and applied it to our new pair of Yokohamas. No way was I going to put another set of overpriced, underperforming Michelins on that car....

The following users liked this post:
Samantha (04-13-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Don't know who you're dealing with but when I got a 75% credit from Michelin on my wife's 2006 XK8's Pilot Sport A/S front tires in October 2012, I replaced them with a pair of Yokohama YK580 tires. My local Discount Tire branch handled the credit from Michelin and applied it to our new pair of Yokohamas. No way was I going to put another set of overpriced, underperforming Michelins on that car....

They would only replace with a Michelin-owned poduct. BF Goodrich would have worked but there wasn't a fit for the car. Pretty sure the shop would only get the credit by replacing with a Michelin. I called a few places and they all said the same thing. I talked to Discount Tire too. You are fortunate. Would love to know how they worked that. Very interesting.

I didn't have that experience with the original Michelins on the car. Drove those for 35k with no problem at all. I only replaced them because someone went on a tire slashing binge while parked on a downtown street one night and cut 2 of my tires.

Michelin has a host of widely different reviews online.

I only plan to have the car for another year or so.

Btw, I also read my manual. It does say the tires should be 98/100. So, the car shouldn't have been sold to me with those tires. That is something I would have never picked up on when buying a car. But I will in the future.