Wheels / Tires, Suspension & handling Wheels and Tires. Discuss sizes, fitments, offsets, profiles etc etc Discuss roll bars, springs, shocks etc for your Jaguar
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway Bar Bushings... Clunk, Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:25 PM
JWT
Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Sway Bar Bushings... Clunk, Clunk

I replaced the sway bar bushings on my XJR this morning. With a little advice from Jag Genius, I went ahead. This is a very simple and inexpensive task. After removing the two bolts on each side, the mounting brackets and old bushings pull right out. Installation of new, just as easy. Best of all, the clunking from the front end is gone.

Thanks JG!
(The JTIS manual suggested a much more involved procedure)

I imagine there are other clunker XJ's on the road that could be fixed that easily.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey JWT

When you have a chance could you please pass along the instructions or point me to the thread?

I suspect I may have to change my bushings as well. Btw, do you know if there's a quick way to get a visual inspection on them or do I need to pull them out to check them?

Cheers
G

Old 05-09-2010, 11:24 PM
JWT
Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

The job is very simple. After removing the undertray to get access to the sway bar, you will see a pair of brackets that mount the swaybar to the cross beam. Each bracket has two bolts that hold the swaybar and bushings to the chassis. Simply remove the bolts, brackets and rubber bushes. If the bar is rusty, clean it up with a bit of emery cloth.You can apply a bit of vegetable cooking oil to the inside of the new bushes if you like. I was advised not to use mineral oil. Push the new bushes onto the swaybar, place the brackets back over them and bolt them back on. Don't tighten until you have both brackets installed, then torque to 30 - 40 Nm.

It is hard to tell with a visual check, but if the car clunks when steering back and forth in a tight zig-zag fashion, that is a telltale sign. You may have the same clunking sound when going over uneven ground. The old bushes may look fine, as mine did, but the new ones silenced the clunk. This is probably the easiest and least expensive remedy, however before you start you may wish to take a quick look under the hood at the upper shock bushings. If they have deteriorated, you will be able to see that visually. Apparently that (and other sources) can also produce a similar noise. I did not need to replace shock bushings, as mine looked good. Hopefully you will find the same situation, as that job is more involved.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:28 PM

Thanks JWT! Much appreciated.

I tried the tight zig-zag and did not hear any noise, oddly enough I only detected the clunk when going a slowly over an obstacle, like a ramp or curb... the upper shock bushings look ok.

I'll try to replicate the noise again, but today I thought the sound might be coming from the dashboard... need to investigate some more.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:31 AM

i got same issue with my 04 xtype, after changed new front break I noticed every time ran over small ramp or un-even road i head clunk at the front

not sure what it is and how to check

please help ...

Old 06-30-2010, 09:01 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

jaguar04, I would definitely take your particular question to the x-type section for some assistance. Although the XJ and XK suspensions of similar years share some suspension features (and often issues such as this) I think the X-type is much different and can't use the same historical references such as this thread as a go-by.

Good luck.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:39 PM

hi h20boy,

thanks for you advice i guess i need to bring local machanic to check out

cheers

Old 07-02-2010, 01:30 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

good luck '04, if the x-type areas can't help you out, any good mechanic worth his weight in oil, can diagnose suspension issues with a big-ol pry bar.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:57 AM

Hi Guys,

just wanted to contribute towards other possible causes. I had the same problem with my car; clunking sound coming from the suspension while going over uneven ground.

I fixed my clunking problem by replacing the FRONT SWAY BAR / STABILIZER LINKS and REAR SWAY BAR / STABILIZER LINKS. I mean, I have a few bad bushings but these two did the job and the car is now quiet, pretty amazing actually because it wasn't hard and wasn't very expensive.

So, check the Front and Rear Sway Bar links as well, because, it solved my clunking problem. I'm planning on replacing the front sway bar bushings as well, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Good Luck...