X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket install?

Hi, I am looking at buying a 54 plate X-type 2.0d Classic and was wondering whether you could install an aftermarket stereo using an ISO adapter procured from eBay? Am unsure whether this car has an inbuilt amp or not but have a nice mechless HU with Bluetooth etc that I would want to put in.

Many thanks!

Old 03-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

True0gre, first off, welcome to the forums. Stick around and enjoy. I think you will find that there is lots of very useful information here. But ,we do ask that you stop by the "New Member" section and introduce yourself. We strive to be different from the other car club and we like to get to know one another. So, grab yourself a cup of Joe, do some reading, learn about the car and enjoy.

As for your question. The answer is yes and no about installing an aftermarket head unit. If you have the basic "all manual" heating/cooling controls, then the aftermarket head unit is not a problem. If you the higher end radio with the built in "auto" controls, then an aftermarket head unit is very difficult to install as you have to convert the car over to the all manual setup. In both cases, the amplifier for the main speakers is built into the head unit. The subwoofer (if equipped) is powered off of a separate amp which is located back in the trunk/boot.

If you have more questions, keep them coming. I do a lot of stereo stuff and know what you are talking about.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Hiya,

I've fitted an aftermarket stereo. You may find my post in this thread useful. Which has the Official Jaguar OEM pdf's you'll need to complete the installation.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...amp-sub-69415/

Since then I've also added a micro usb power source and a dinn blanking plate through which I've mounted an adapted phone bracket. I've also added a bmi type dash kit. For the dash trim kit on the side of the stereo housing, I had them custom made for an extra $10.

see pics below.

And also here.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nterior-90723/

I was tempted to get a touch screen sat nav and an audio connectivity module and a parrot blue tooth, but even with this stuff you still end up with less functionality than having your android phone / iphone to hand. Also the Jag OEM stuff costs over $1000 to buy and fit.

Some members have installed an in car pc instead which would be my preference if I had the budget, but even then you need a mobile broadband dongle so it's not ideal. Overall in my opinion my personal set up has more functionality even though it isn't as pretty.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket install?-stereo.jpg   Aftermarket install?-image0521.jpg   Aftermarket install?-image0522.jpg   Aftermarket install?-image0523.jpg