X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'02 X-Type Transfer Case Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 X-Type Transfer Case Problem!

I just was informed by my Jag service rep that a bearing is shot in my transfer case. They want $3100.00 to replace it. Anyone have any experience with used cases as to how easy it is to find a good one?

Thanks

Old 10-05-2013, 09:23 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by kinghd
I just was informed by my Jag service rep that a bearing is shot in my transfer case. They want $3100.00 to replace it. Anyone have any experience with used cases as to how easy it is to find a good one?

Thanks
Seems a little pricey..but labor is the issue

check out these here and decide if you want an independent service guy to do it..

jaguar x-type transfer case | eBay

The following users liked this post:
kinghd (10-05-2013)
Old 10-05-2013, 09:37 AM

Thanks DPK. The labor would be a little over $800. I love my Jag and it has only 81,000 miles on it but it's only worth about $4000. I'd put $1500 in it but not $3100. I'll have to find someone trustworthy to install a used one.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:11 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

There use to be a member here that changed and rebuilt his own Transfer Case..it sounded pretty easy if you are an able mechanic with some basic tools..I think his name here was Mr2 or Bojangles something...Perhaps search for their posts on the subject.

Last edited by DPK; 10-05-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

kinghd, you should be able to get a used transfer case for semi cheap and get it installed for around $1500. The reason why the dealership is so high is that they are putting in a brand new transfer case, not a used one. Please keep in mind that there are 2 different style transfer cases out there for our cars (both work just fine). The difference is that the 02-03 transfer cases have a viscous coupling and it splits the torque fairly evenly front to back. Where the 04+ transfer cases got rid of the viscous coupling and it will transfer power to all 4 wheels (like the 02-03 case does), but when one wheel looses traction, all the power goes to that one wheel, not split front to back. The only way this is prevented is if your car has the traction control, then the traction control applies the brakes to that one wheel and slows it down so the power can then be transferred to the other wheels that do have traction.

With this all being said, I would recommend having the used transfer case rebuilt since you have an 02. There has been talk that one of the bearings from the factory had too much pre-load on it. So, what ends up happening is when you get on the gas really hard, it puts too much stress on that bearing and then causes it to fail. A good shop should be able to rebuild the transfer case for you for fairly cheap. I seem to remember that to get all new bearings and seals for he transfer case is like $250 or something like that. Add in another $400 for the rebuild (as this is pretty straight forward), then the $800 for the labor of pulling and re-installing. Even if you are up around $1800 for this whole thing, I think you will be very happy as you should then not have to worry about being easy on the gas and you can then drive it like you want. I have contemplated doing this just so I can bump up the power and have some fun.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:12 AM

Thanks Thermo. That's probably what happened as I do like to play with my Jag and get on it a little. Seems people like to challange me once in a while just because it's a Jag and I'll have to admit that even though I'm 63 years old I still buy into that. It definetly is a bearing that's gone so II'll have to look into a rebuild. I'll keep you guys informed of my findings. Thanks again.
Originally Posted by Thermo
kinghd, you should be able to get a used transfer case for semi cheap and get it installed for around $1500. The reason why the dealership is so high is that they are putting in a brand new transfer case, not a used one. Please keep in mind that there are 2 different style transfer cases out there for our cars (both work just fine). The difference is that the 02-03 transfer cases have a viscous coupling and it splits the torque fairly evenly front to back. Where the 04+ transfer cases got rid of the viscous coupling and it will transfer power to all 4 wheels (like the 02-03 case does), but when one wheel looses traction, all the power goes to that one wheel, not split front to back. The only way this is prevented is if your car has the traction control, then the traction control applies the brakes to that one wheel and slows it down so the power can then be transferred to the other wheels that do have traction.

With this all being said, I would recommend having the used transfer case rebuilt since you have an 02. There has been talk that one of the bearings from the factory had too much pre-load on it. So, what ends up happening is when you get on the gas really hard, it puts too much stress on that bearing and then causes it to fail. A good shop should be able to rebuild the transfer case for you for fairly cheap. I seem to remember that to get all new bearings and seals for he transfer case is like $250 or something like that. Add in another $400 for the rebuild (as this is pretty straight forward), then the $800 for the labor of pulling and re-installing. Even if you are up around $1800 for this whole thing, I think you will be very happy as you should then not have to worry about being easy on the gas and you can then drive it like you want. I have contemplated doing this just so I can bump up the power and have some fun.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:28 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Kinghd, do some looking around on the site. One of the members has a post about the bearing part numbers that are needed and where the bearings can be obtained from. That may help keep your costs down as you may find a shop that is willing to take your parts and install them (especially since "it is a jag" and they wouldn't know where to start looking). Might get you out the door for less than what you are expecting.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I replaced the 2 worn bearings in my transfer case. It was a reasonably easy job, cost me $100. It's been working perfectly for a couple of years now. Any competent mom n pop shop could do it in an afternoon.

The bearings that wear are the "prop shaft" bearings.

Please see my thread before installing a used unit, or spending a fortune.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ng-p-ns-60135/

Old 11-01-2013, 11:04 PM

Can anyone guide me to how to remove a Cv Joint out of the Right side of the transfer case on my 2002 Jaguar Xtype ? Transfer case is all loose but I can't get cv joint assembly out of transfer case in order to remove cracked transfer case please help. I'd appreciate it.