X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03' 2.5 manual x-type - just randomly dies while driving...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 03' 2.5 manual x-type - just randomly dies while driving...

Greetings! Happy to find a forum for my newish Jag. I bought it from my brother a couple of months ago... only 78k miles and in great condition.

Recently the car has started to simply chug and die after driving for a little while. Hasn't happened on a short trip, its always after having driven at least maybe 20 minutes or so. Left me stuck at a busy intersection last night on a 50 mph 8 lane road. Scary.

After it sits for around 5-15 minutes it will start back up and run just fine. Trying to restart it right away just makes it chug and crank.

Anyone have any ideas? Seems like a really odd problem.

No check engine light, and no codes pull up. I have a wireless OBD2 scanner that connects to the Torque app on my smart phone, are there any sensors I can monitor that would give any hints? (I'm a real newbie when it comes to mechanics)

I'm just a college student and don't really have the kind of money to go and have the deal look into this unfortunately, so I'm hoping it's something simple. I put a new air filter in last night (old one wasn't awful but it was pretty dirty) and I got a new fuel filter as well and will swap that out this weekend.

Thanks!

Old 09-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnar Gabrielson

Anyone have any ideas? Seems like a really odd problem.

No check engine light, and no codes pull up. I have a wireless OBD2 scanner that connects to the Torque app on my smart phone, are there any sensors I can monitor that would give any hints? (I'm a real newbie when it comes to mechanics)

!
camshaft sensor
crank shaft "
all 4 o2 sensors
Air flow meter

would be a good starting point

i belive the torque app can moniter all of these.
there is also alot of free laptop softwere for your OBD2. assuming it an elm

Old 09-26-2012, 04:05 PM

Awesome! What would I be looking for on those sensors? Whats high, whats low, etc?

My odb2 device is the Kiwi PLX (PLX Kiwi Bluetooth | OBD2 OBDII Android)

Old 09-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

I'm curious to what the problem might be. It has happen to me 3 times but it does start right back up immediately. It normally happens to me on de-acceleration coming to a stop and I'm like why is my steering so stiff and I notice my engine has cut off.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:14 PM

I took it in to a shop here that specializes in Jags, and it's the fuel pump.

Nasty fix too because they have to drop the entire fuel tank to get at it, so it's like 6 hours of labor + parts. Gonna cost over a grand to fix.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:34 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Could just be a dirty fuel filter, especially if an ethanol blend fuel has been used.

Ethanol pulls water into the gas - right out of the air. The water molecules are too big to go through the filter, so they just get sucked into it and plug it. After a few minutes stopped, they will drop back out of the filter material into the bottom of the filter.

Just a trip to the Auto Parts Store for the best gas filter they sell, and that goofy (but very cheap) special Ford Gas Fittings wrench. Bet you're good to go for under $25 !

Good luck!

(PS - You took it into a shop that "specializes in Jaguars". NOTHING in a shop that specializes in Jaguars is going to cost you anything under a grand!)

Last edited by Bruce in North Dakota; 12-18-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:25 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with Bruce. Replace the fuel filter...it's worth a try, EZ to do, and cheap. If you don't have documentation that it's been replaced recently, it needs to be done anyway.

If that doesn't do the trick and you are handy with a wrench and/or have a buddy who is a petrolhead, a fuel pump replacement is do-able over a weekend. HOWEVER, please note, the following is a supremely important 'final assembly step' (not found in any Jag tech manual): NO BEER should be consumed until the vehicle runs. In this case it will probably be sometime mid to late Sunday PM. Cheers, Andy

Old 12-25-2012, 07:52 PM

Thanks guys, I got the car back from the shop before they did any work on it so I could replace the filter myself.

I replaced this filter this evening, it was super easy, the fuel that came out of it looked pretty good though, so I'm not sure it will be a success. It's late and cold so I will run the car awhile tomorrow and see what happens.

Otherwise, I would LOVE to change the fuel pump myself, I love doing this kind of stuff, even if I am a newbie.... however that job seems like it would be very difficult without a real lift. Jack stands seem like they wouldn't cut it.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:55 PM

Oh and that super amazing jaguar shop (/sarcasm) seems to have destroyed my battery. The battery is only about 6 months old, and was very strong. I took it to them, and after a week in their hands I went to pick it up and it wouldn't even crank. Jump started it, but now its totally dead. Even after running it for about 30 minutes it won't hold a charge. I've got it on a 12 hour trickle charge right now, hope that will do the trick. If not I'm gonna be pissed.

They actually specialize, I found out, in Porches. They work on Jags, but not super often.