X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 X-Type Headlight clip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 X-Type Headlight clip?

I just tried calling the dealership and they were absolutely no help, there solution was to buy an entire headlamp assembly.

I just bout my x-type a year ago and realized the passenger side high beam did not work. When I went to swap it out, I found that the little metal retaining clip for the bulb was not there. I checked all of the other headlamp housings and the other 3 were there. This piece just comes off and for some reason it isn't there on this one.

Does anyone know the ACTUAL part name? I need to somehow find this metal clip so I can reattach the high beam bulb again.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Wolv, talk with a member here by the name of "Brutal". He runs a Jaguar repair shop and he deals with broken X-Type headlight assemblies. I'm sure he can get you the "bulb retaining clip" (the name of the wire piece you are after). I am not sure what he may charge you for it, but I am sure it will be well worth your time to get in touch with him. The other member to talk with and see if they can help you is "ken@britishparts.com". Send an e-mail to that name and tell him you are from this forum and that you are after the retaining clip. If he can get it, he will order the part for you and get you all set up.

If both of those fail for you, then you are more than likely looking at having to run to a junk yard and find a wrecked X-Type and then pull the clip from that. If you can get the clip from a car that rear ended another vehicle (ie, headlight assemblies are trashed, you should be able to get the clip for very cheap. If you need another part, they may just toss it in for free provided you buy the other part.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:00 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, the owner's manual refers to it as the "spring clip" in case the other name doesn't get any hits.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:52 AM

Thanks for the responses!!! You guys always come through and I was able to find a junk yard down south through an online auction listing that still had these clips.

One more question, though, haha.

When I got the car I installed drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic brake pads since the car had the original stuff on it and it was starting to squeak at the time. The brake system works fine now, but I'm not very happy with the brake pads. Everything lines up, simple disc brakes, BUT in most cars I've done in the past, there usually is those metal retaining/rattle clips to snap around the brake pads. This car didn't have thos, the pads just slid into the caliper. When I hit a bump, I can definately hear the brake pads clinking around.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of this?

Thanks again so much!!!!

Old 08-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Veteran member

Wolv, sounds like someone lost a clip or two in the past and then simply removed them later on. I seem to recall seeing these on my car. I would say to run down to your local auto parts place and see if you can get them there. Enough to do the front or rear of the car will run you about $15. If they don't have ones specifically for the X-Type, have them look up a Lincoln LS and see if they have those. They should be the same parts. If this doesn't work for you, then you are back to talking with Ken or giving Jaguarparts.com a call. I know both of them will be able to help you out.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by wolv2401
When I got the car I installed drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic brake pads since the car had the original stuff on it and it was starting to squeak at the time. The brake system works fine now, but I'm not very happy with the brake pads. Everything lines up, simple disc brakes, BUT in most cars I've done in the past, there usually is those metal retaining/rattle clips to snap around the brake pads. This car didn't have thos, the pads just slid into the caliper. When I hit a bump, I can definately hear the brake pads clinking around.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of this?

Thanks again so much!!!!
Let us know if you find those clips, I am in the exact same situation. The factory Jaguar pads I removed had no clips or shims, and now the aftermarket ceramic pads rattle over bumps like I have china plates in my engine bay!

I haven't had any luck locating the clips, and most of the responses I have seen have been "you have to get them with new OEM pads".

Old 08-04-2010, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the info Thermo. I'm going to have to send a message to Ken or someone else at Jaguarparts.com. The people that work at the Jag/Landrover dealership here in Michigan are nice and mean well, but honestly are not all that bright. When I called them about that bulb retaining clip the guy was totally lost even after I clearly described what it looks like and what it does.

Anyways, thanks again!! My search begins and I will post any updates that I make. I would like to think that an autoparts store would have a "Brake Hardware Kit" for either my 03 X Type or something like an 03-04 Lincoln LS. Ive bought brake hardware kits in the past for my old Blazer and Grand Prix. After awhile, they tend to bend up and need replacement.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:18 PM

UPDATE!!! I just did an online parts catalog check on this and found a kit from Autozone for an 03 Lincoln LS that has the rattle clips included for the front brakes.

The front is where I mostly hear the rattle, or ya the noise that sounds like glass china haha. Considering the fronts look close to the rear, I might be able to fit a set in the back pads as well IF they are needed after I install the front clips. Since Autozone has them for $9 a set I am going to pick up a set tonight and try them out today or tomorrow.

Thanks again Thermo, you mentioning the probable compatibility with a Lincoln LS opened a window of opportunity. Its worth a shot! I will post the results in the next day or 2!!!

Old 08-22-2010, 06:24 PM

is this spring clip for the bulb crucisal...I had a father inlaw frakenstien one after he lost mine..couldnt i just fashion one out of something else..or does it complete some circut or something...I hope i dont need it to instaall hid'ss

Old 10-03-2010, 08:01 PM

Anyone have any luck finding spring clip for the H1 bulbs? Also the power conector is fried. any ideas?

Old 10-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Veteran member

RJS, stop by the local hardware store or auto parts store. They sell pieces that are called female spade connectors. They should have some that will fit on to the prongs of the headlight bulb. From there, cut the old connector off, install a new connector on to each wire and plug them in directly to the headlight bulb. Polarity doesn't matter with the headlight bulb. So, don't stress too much over worrying whether the positive goes on this spot or that spot. As long as the positive and negative wires don't touch each other, all is good.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:40 AM

Wolv2401,

Did you ever get a retaining clip? I'm in the same boat... sigh...

- J