X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 x type, To buy or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 x type, To buy or not?

Hello. New user but not new to these forums. I have had an x type in the past, an 03 2.5 manual 160k. But that was totaled. A year later I need a vehicle and have came across a 2004 2.5 x type with 145k. Black, manual. $2750, 200+ miles from me. I received $4100 from my insurance for my old x type which I was trying to sell at the time for $3500 (needed water pump, various suspension parts) Common prices in my area range from $4500-$6500 for one with around 100k miles..(automatics)

Honestly, I have a pretty decent knowledge of these cars. I know common issues and fixes and the things that realistically don't matter much....

Okay, so car has 145k miles. Owner has recently installed new water pump (was advised by mechanic), o2 sensor, bosch battery, cat converter, ac compressor, bosch plugs, and starter. seems well maintained..garage kept. BUT has leaking upper rad hose..cracked t pipe. From what I have read-common. I just seriously, seriously have a thing with coolant issues and am worried mainly because to get the car I'd have to drive it 4 hours home. (200+ miles). Not sure what to do. Don't want to risk overheating, As I had overheating issues on my last x type, and a 85 xj6 I recently sold... All I could think to tell seller was jb weld it for me and hope it lasts me on my return trip home? any thoughts? Would you?

Price is good for where I am, western pa. Hard to find 5 speeds and would not even give this a thought if it was an auto. Something is just drawing me in...

other than that, minor issues are- small dent in driver door, sagging headliner, broken glovebox lock, and minor oil pan gasket leak. So, nothing really to worry about. I feel like after I replace upper rad hose with included thermostat and housing, I should be in the clear on this ride. Anyone have an idea on jag dealer replacing hose? Guessing $500.

The way I see it, with everything "fixed" I'd probably be around 3,500 into it. My thought process tells me if EVERYTHING goes completely south, engine blows head gasket- I could still come up even simply parting out the vehicle on ebay. That is obviously worst case scenario but considering my luck.....

Just want to hear some thoughts, I know people on this forum are pretty much the most tested jag enthusiasts out there so I trust judgement of people on this site.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:55 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Check out this post

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-leak-132246/

Also have you checked craigslist in your local area? Also Ebay.
what part of PA are you in i know there are several X-types for sale over here in central PA.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

If you are that concerned about it why not try and negotiate a little more off the car and immediately after picking it up have the part replaced in that town by a local shop? You may be able to arrange it so that the work is done right away and you could be on the road and back home the same day with the problem sorted. Even if you would have to stay the night at a cheap hotel you would still be ahead of the game. Might be worth spending that little extra upfront for the piece of mind.

Or even pay to have it towed home. If you break down on your way home you would need to have it towed anyway. Decide what a few hundred dollars in repairs would cost right away vs. what it would be like to overheat on the ride home with a car that still needs to be fixed and with possibly some additional issues because of the overheating.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you both. I am about 40 mins north of pittsburgh. I have been on craigslist reading, scranton, harrisburg, state college, altoona, morgantown, etc. along with autotrader. Look like a few but they are either automatic or priced over what I want to spend. Also would like one out of state to avoid sales tax..and it to be a black one. I did check out that thread along with some others before I posted this. I just wanted some feedback on my specific situation as it is a bit of a puzzle.

I think I am going to go down to 2,500 once I see it in person. I thought about just having a mechanic down there do it, but I'm limited on time. He has someone ready to buy on monday so in order to get it I have to be there tomorrow with bells on. He assures me leak is small and thinks I would be fine. I have experience driving one of these with a coolant leak (unfortunately) and think I might make it if I took it slow..

Jag dealer closest is about half hour south of his location. That's the only place that would have the hose stocked i'm guessing. Doubt they could fit me in without any notice. Might post up in a parking lot for a few hours and change it out myself while down there? dependent on weather. Towing might be a good option as well and in comparison to the price of vehicle might be the best bet. Thanks for the input. Now hand over your 2005 3.0

Old 12-07-2014, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Not quite ready to let mine loose just yet! Maybe within the next year. Been thinking of getting something different just because I have had this car for over six years and just want something else. It has 145K on it now and has been very reliable, but I keep ahead on the maintenance. Just had a minor vacuum leak and changed out the "Big Three" and it is running better than ever.

Sounds like you really know what you want. When I decided what I wanted it took me about 6 months to find EXACTLY what I wanted (3.0, manual, carbon fiber/alcantara seats and Aruba wheel). Finally found it about 500 miles away. Flew down there ad drove it back. Was pretty scary buying it that way, but it worked out great and I got very cheap. The drive home gave me some good bonding time with that car. Be patient, you'll eventually find just what you want.