X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 X-type heater box removal

Old 11-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 X-type heater box removal

I have a 2004 X-type and I have to replace the heater box which is located behind the center console under the dash. Something broke with the flaps from floor, dash, too defroster vents. Blows A/C and heat out of defroster vents only. I'd really hate to take out the dash for this. Any solutions? Or direction on how to replace the box? Thanks!

Old 11-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Ken, first off, welcome to the forums. You will find a lot of good information here and lots of people willing to help. But we do ask a small favor. Please stop by the new member section and introduce yourself. We are a little quirky that way. We strive to be a different sort of car group and we like to get to know one another. This will also give you a chance to find out who the movers and shakers are around here. So, grab yourself a cup of coffee, sit back, relax and see what you can find out about your car.

As for your issue. You do not state where you are from, so, I am going to assume you are here in the USA. If this is the case, before you go ripping the dash apart, remove the glove box door (3 screws on the bottom, 2 up on top, 2 in the back of the glove box area). This will give you access to the side of the blend door area of the ventilation system. As you look in the newly created hole, you will see 2 actuators (1 on top of the other) and then 1 behind them. You are interested in the back stepper motor (actuator). Remove that actuator and apply a drop of superglue to the center of the shaft and reinstall the actuator. Let the glue set up and I bet you will find that your problem is resolved. Before you glue the actuator on, you can use a small flat bladed screw driver and move the flapper around. You should be able to feel it go from position to position and hear the flapper move. If the shaft moves really easy, then the door inside broke. But, the stepper motors are known for slipping and not moving the doors properly, leading to what you are seeing.

The following users liked this post:
fix it (11-23-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x type heater unit removal

i removed the heater control panel/radio to gain access to the heater box unit on my 04 x type. i separated the hoizontal join across the front and this has revealed one of the flaps inside to be broken. could anyone tell me what is involved in removing the unit for replacement.....regards....colin