X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 x-type with 175k worth looking at?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 x-type with 175k worth looking at?

Hi guys, new here and couldn't find an answer so I'm asking here.

I'm looking for a cheap run about, and have my eye on a 06 x-type with 170k on the clock with part service history. Should I give it a wide birth or do you think it's still got a few miles left on it? The owbow states he's done the clutch a couple years ago as well as EGR and has all the receipts to proov it.

Should I have a look or avoid like the plague?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Old 02-01-2019, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

Depends on how much the seller is asking for the car versus the service history that can be proven over the life of the car.
Overall the X-type has proven to be a reliable cars.
I have read and seen listings for X-types with up to 200K miles that appear to still be healthy.
I have read that the Duratec engines can last around 200K miles before they start having real problems. (Perhaps you have a few years life left in the car)
If everything on the car checks out, the transfer case isn't making noise, and/or has been serviced at some point in time, then it might be a winner.
I presume you checked out the the used car price and found that it is worth perhaps $3200 max dealer retail. (+- depending on options)
Search the X-type forum for things to look at when purchasing a used X-type. There are many threads that details problems with the rear control arms, brakes, shocks, suspension, transmission and electrical problems these cars can have during their life.
Bear in mind, that if something major happens, if you can't work on the car yourself, it will cost you well over $1K to have more major items repaired.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tijoe
Depends on how much the seller is asking for the car versus the service history that can be proven over the life of the car.
Overall the X-type has proven to be a reliable cars.
I have read and seen listings for X-types with up to 200K miles that appear to still be healthy.
I have read that the Duratec engines can last around 200K miles before they start having real problems. (Perhaps you have a few years life left in the car)
If everything on the car checks out, the transfer case isn't making noise, and/or has been serviced at some point in time, then it might be a winner.
I presume you checked out the the used car price and found that it is worth perhaps $3200 max dealer retail. (+- depending on options)
Search the X-type forum for things to look at when purchasing a used X-type. There are many threads that details problems with the rear control arms, brakes, shocks, suspension, transmission and electrical problems these cars can have during their life.
Bear in mind, that if something major happens, if you can't work on the car yourself, it will cost you well over $1K to have more major items repaired.
Hi

Thanks for the reply... The car is an 06 x-type 2.2 d sport. The person is asking £900 for it whcwh seems to be the average. I will have a chat and take a look. It only has to last me a year so I'm not that worried.

I will make sure that I take a look at the things to look out for.

Thanks again

Old 02-02-2019, 02:58 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi as it is the 2.2 diesel. Forget problems with the engine. Unless it's been badly neglected it will last forever. Also is it an AWD motor? My diesel is front wheel drive so no silly transfer box. At that price you should be able to afford a few problems.
The name Jaguar seems to flag up RICH. to all and sundry. Even my car wash guys have a special price for Jaguar!

Old 02-02-2019, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by DUNKS
Hi as it is the 2.2 diesel. Forget problems with the engine. Unless it's been badly neglected it will last forever. Also is it an AWD motor? My diesel is front wheel drive so no silly transfer box. At that price you should be able to afford a few problems.
The name Jaguar seems to flag up RICH. to all and sundry. Even my car wash guys have a special price for Jaguar!

Great news... no it's not AWD and again he's had work done and with receipts. Thanks for the help, I will effeminately have a look today.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:17 AM

Hey people... this may be a little off topic, but is the 2.0d (same model just an estate) as good/solid an engine as the 2.2? The only real difference is that it has a 12 month MOT rather than MOT until June

Thanks again

Old 02-03-2019, 02:46 PM

HI
I brought an X Type Diesiel Estate 2ltr 3 years ago with 72 k on the clock.
It now has about 170 k
I have had three major repairs on it
New injectors
Refurbished Gear Box
Dual Mass Flywheel
2 Starter Motors
I have now got an intermittent glow plug light on the dash flashing. (could be the turbo)
Good car overall but can be costly to repair.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:05 PM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

If you look at the specs the 2.2 diesel is more powerful and also more economical on fuel.
Having said that no problem with the 2. It's a good engine.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 175k miles

I bought mine two years ago with 175k miles and it has been running fine. 3.0 petrol engine.
There is a slight shudder/hesitation in the gear box sometimes when accelerating in high gear at low speed, but I shift down for a moment and it is fine.
Goes great in heavy snow and ice.
P.